Dear UVM Students,
As spring semester winds down and we look forward to summer break, I am writing to update you on COVID-19 testing for the balance of the semester and over the summer.
Important message to students who are graduating on Thursday, May 20 and Friday, May 21. As you look forward to Commencement, please be aware that students who test positive or develop symptoms of COVID-19 on or after May 9 (for the May 20 ceremony) or May 10 (for the May 21 ceremony) will not be able to attend Commencement in person. We are still seeing COVID-19 cases on and off campus, so diligence in following our public health principles is critical. Now is the time to be extra cautious! Please check the Commencement website for regular updates.
All students who are required to test must continue to test through the end of final exam period on Tuesday, May 18 unless they have an approved exemption. Any student who is fully vaccinated (14 days following final dose) may request an exemption to test once a week instead of twice weekly. See the Testing Center hours through the end of the semester.
Students who are leaving the Burlington area after final exams do not need to file an exemption request after Saturday, May 8.
The following groups of students are required to continue testing twice weekly unless they have an approved exemption:
- Students graduating in person on Thursday, May 20 and Friday, May 21.
- Medical students graduating on Sunday, May 23
- Medical Students whose curriculum continues beyond Sunday, May 23.
- Students approved to be on-campus following final exams.
As you prepare to leave Burlington and to reunite with family and friends, please schedule an additional COVID-19 test immediately prior to your departure, to decrease the risk of transmitting COVID as you mix two households.
- Plan to get tested at least 48 hours before you expect to leave to allow time to get your test results.
- Schedule your departure time so that you are sure to get your results before leaving the area. For example, if you plan to travel home on Saturday, May 15, get an additional test on Thursday, May 13. You should receive your results by Friday evening.
- Be sure to continue practicing all the safeguards after your test (and over the summer)— masking, social distancing, frequent hand washing—to minimize the risk of infection.
If you do test positive, the Center for Health and Wellbeing will contact you to talk about travel options and about isolating either on campus or off campus.
It is also important to research travel and quarantine requirements in the state that you are traveling to. State requirements vary and you will need to plan accordingly.
UVM will continue to offer testing on campus over the summer. You can view summer Testing Center hours here. Please continue to use the Co-Verified app to schedule your test.
At this time, students who will be on campus, including those who are fully vaccinated, are required to continue to test every seven days. Students must have permission to be on campus this summer—you must be enrolled in on-campus summer courses or have permission granted through your faculty or staff supervisor. All students in the following categories are required to test every seven days through the summer:
- Summer-session students: All students—including undergraduate, graduate, medical, Continuing and Distance Education, and non-degree students–enrolled in summer session courses that are offered in person, including research credits and continuous registration where the research includes on-campus activity.
- Research: Students who need to continue working in on-campus research facilities, including in non-credit-bearing activities.
- Academic: Students involved in academic or independent projects that need to continue beyond Wednesday, May 19, and cannot be done remotely.
- Student Employment: Student employees whose supervisor has deemed that they cannot work remotely.
- Emergency Housing: On-campus resident students who have requested permission and been approved by Residential Life to remain in the residence halls.
- Medical Students: All medical students without an approved exemption.
Students remaining in the area who are not covered in the required testing categories above are encouraged to continue to take advantage of COVID-19 testing on campus at the Testing Center.
All students approved to be on campus are required to comply with the Green and Gold Promise and all existing health and safety requirements, including:
- COVID-19 testing every seven days during the time when the student is approved to be on campus.
- Daily completion of the CoVerified health screening.
- Compliance with all face covering and social distancing requirements.
- Compliance with Vermont state travel guidelines; limit travel outside of Vermont.
- If travel is necessary, compliance with all Vermont travel requirements and any UVM quarantine requirements upon return. Read more information regarding travel and quarantine requirements for students who will be living on campus and those living off campus.
If you have questions about the testing process, please contact the COVID-19 Information and Service Center at UVM.Strong@uvm.edu or (802) 656-1010.
This has been a remarkable year and I want to express my gratitude and appreciation for your sustained commitment and dedication to making sure that UVM is a safe and healthy place for all. It has not been easy, but you stepped up to the challenge in ways that we never imagined. My pride in your accomplishments is deep and enduring.
I wish those graduating all the best as you begin your next chapter. To those returning in the fall, we look forward with great anticipation and excitement to the return of the lively UVM we all know and cherish!
CC: UVM Faculty and Staff