Trading Spaces is how current on-campus students request a room change during the academic year. This process begins shortly after Add/Drop each semester after vacancies have been confirmed.
Except in areas where we currently have vacancies, Trading Spaces identifies students to swap room assignments with each other.
Many types of trades are possible: within or between Learning Communities and/or Enhanced Experiences, and even to another community such as traditional (unprogrammed) housing. We take care of determining possible trades and offering them; you do not need to explore or find trades on your own.
All trades are managed by ResLife staff. You will not be able to submit a Trading Spaces request until you have completed a roommate agreement. If you have not yet completed an agreement, please reach out to your RA or contact us with any questions.
THE MOST COMMON TRADES:
Many types of trades are possible, but some are more likely to occur than others, based on capacity and interest.
The most common trades are:
- Moving from a space in your current Learning Community to a space in a different Learning Community (e.g., Sustainability to Leadership)
- Moving from a space in Traditional (Unprogrammed) Housing to a space in a Learning Community (e.g., Traditional Housing to Arts & Creativity)
- Moving from a space in your current Learning Community to a space in an Enhanced Experience in the same Learning Community (e.g., Sustainability to GreenHouse)
- Moving from a space in any community to a space in an Enhanced Experience (e.g., Arts & Creativity to Cultural Crossroads Eco-Foods)
- Moving from a space in any community to Traditional (Unprogrammed) Housing (e.g., Outdoor Experience to Traditional Housing)
- Moving from a space in your current Learning Community or Enhanced Experience to a space in the same Learning Community or Enhanced Experience (e.g., Sustainability in Millis to Sustainability in University Heights South)
HOW TRADING SPACES WORKS:
- Complete a Trading Spaces Request form available online in myHousing. You will not have access to the form until you have completed a roommate agreement.
- There will be one form available to request any type of trade, and only one submission of the form for different Learning Communities or Enhanced Experiences is possible.
- Except in areas where we currently have vacancies, ResLife will identify pairs of people to trade spaces. Because Learning Community sizes are fixed, these must be body-for-body swaps.
- Students in full triple rooms will receive priority for trades.
- Offers are sent via UVM email, so be sure to check your email often.
- To provide room trades to as many students as possible, offers are only valid for two business days.
- Room trades that do not follow this process are not allowed and will not be approved.
OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW:
- Because the add/drop deadline has passed, if you trade from one Learning Community into another, you will remain enrolled in the one-credit (or three-credit) course associated with your original Learning Community. If you have questions about course enrollment, please contact your academic advisor.
- First-year students are not eligible for trades into Enhanced Experiences in Cultural Crossroads located in Living/Learning buildings A, B, C, and E.
- Students are not eligible for trades into the Wellness Environment unless they are enrolled in (or have already taken) COMU001: Healthy Brains, Healthy Bodies.
- Students who are required to live on campus are not eligible for trades into Journey to Independence.
- Based on size and level of interest, trading spaces to some communities is more likely than others. For example, Outdoor Experience and Sustainability are full and trades into those areas may be limited. If there are other Learning Communities you will consider, the likelihood of a trade there may be greater.
- Pull-ins do not require a trading spaces request. These are cases where there is one vacancy in a double-occupancy room (or two vacancies in a triple room). Whenever possible, the remaining student in the room will be notified that they have 24 hours (one to two business days) to identify a preferred roommate to pull into that space. Students cannot be pulled into the Wellness Environment unless they are in (or have already taken) COMU001: Healthy Brains, Healthy Bodies.
- After a triple room only has two occupants (i.e., “breaks down), we do not re-triple it.
SUBMITTING A TRADING SPACES REQUEST
Submit one trading spaces request. or check to see if you already have one:
- Login to myResLife and then select “Go to myHousing.”
- The “Spring 2019 Trading Spaces" request form is located under “Spring 2019” on the next page. This link will only be visible to you after you have completed a roommate agreement.
- Make sure to “Save Changes” to submit your request.
Once you have submitted the request you will not be able to edit or delete it, or submit multiple requests.
The request form will ask for:
- Your preferred Learning Community or Enhanced Experience
- The NetID of your preferred roommate
- If you are willing to accept a trade without your preferred roommate(s)
- Any other important details
RECEIVING A TRADING SPACES OFFER:
- To provide room trades to as many students as possible, offers are only valid for two business days, and are sent via UVM email. Be sure to check your email often!
- If all students accept the trade, we will change your room assignment.
- If you accept a trade but the other person does not, your request will remain active and we will continue to work on a trade for you.
- If you receive an offer but do not accept or respond to it, the offer will expire and you will not receive another one.