Check this page frequently to ensure you are getting the most up-to-date information. 


  • Wednesday, November 25, 12:00 noon - Halls Close for End of In-person Instruction
  • November 25-28 - Thanksgiving Break (halls closed for students leaving campus)
  • Saturday, December 12, 12:00 noon - Halls Close for Winter Break
  • December 12-January 30 - Winter Break Emergency Housing

Can I stay on-campus after in-person instruction ends November 24 (Thanksgiving Break to end of semester)?

Anyone wishing to remain on campus after in-person instruction ends through the end of the semester (December 12th) will need to remain in the residence halls through Thanksgiving break, continue to participate in mandated weekly testing, and abide by the Green and Gold promise.  If you would like to remain on campus for the remainder of the semester (December 12th) you can sign up in early November.

Will you offer Winter Break Housing/Emergency Housing between semesters?

Emergency Housing during Winter Break will be available to students with extenuating circumstances from December 12-January 30. Emergency Housing requests will be vetted by a committee and granted on a case-by-case basis. Students requesting Emergency Housing must be current residents who are enrolled for in-person instruction during Spring 2021 and comply with the UVM Green and Gold policy, which includes remaining on campus from the time in-person instruction ends November 24 until Winter Break ends January 30. The cost for Emergency Housing is $535. Students will have access to apply for Emergency Housing in early November and will be informed of the outcome of their request no later than November 15th.

I currently live on campus, but plan to be an "at-home" student for Spring 2021, what should I do?

Please be sure you remove all of your personal belongings and use an express check out envelope to return your room key at the front desk. The University is not responsible for any items left behind and will not ship or store any personal belongings.

I am returning to campus for in-person instruction Spring 2021, can I leave my belongings in my room?

If you are fairly certain you will return to campus in the Spring, you can leave your belongings in your room.  Please note, if your plans change and you decide to do "at-home", UVM will not pack, store or ship your items and you will be required to remove your belongings in early January.

I am currently an "at-home" student and will return to campus for in-person instruction Spring 2021, what’s next for me?

If you had a fall room assignment and roommate, they are no longer valid so you will receive a room new assignment January 7, 2021.  As space permits, we will do our best to assign students to their original Learning Community.

I have an empty space in my room, how can I make sure I do not have a roommate assigned?

A resident of a half-filled double room is required to provide open and equal space for a new roommate and display appropriate behavior that would be welcoming to a new resident.

I have an empty space in my room and want to pull in a preferred roommate for Spring 2021, what can I do?

Beginning December 3rd, students can request a pull-in by visiting

I would like to leave the residence halls and commute from home Spring 2021, what should I do?

Students who can live with a parent or guardian within a commutable distance from campus may want to live at home and exceptions to their residency requirement will be considered. Requests can be made using our commuter request (PDF), which must be notarized and submitted to our office. Students who break their housing contract between semesters to commute from home will incur a $750 cancellation fee.

Will there be any triple rooms on campus for Spring 2021?

No, in keeping with dedensification plan utilized in the Fall 2020 semester, we will only offer single and double rooms in the residence halls.

How do I know if I am required to live on-campus?

Using your UVM NetID and password, please log into and check your residency requirement.

If I am not required to live on campus and interested in returning to the halls, what should I do?

Students not required to live on campus can request on-campus housing. Using your UVM NetID and password, please log into and complete the On-Campus Housing Request form to place your name on the request list. We will contact you via your UVM email to offer you a Housing and Meal Plan Contract once we are able determine we have a space for you.