This community fosters a space for continual development of self, teamwork, and leadership in an inclusive environment free of the presence and influence of alcohol, cannabis, and other drugs.
LEARN WHERE YOU LIVE
Throughout your time in this Learning Community, you will explore various parts of Vermont, cultivate a wider understanding of what is included in the phrase “outdoor experience,” and along the way make meaningful connections with your peers, mentors, and the Vermont landscape.
- All students living in Outdoor Experience are expected to commit to Community Expectations, keeping alcohol, cannabis, other drugs—and their influences—out of our community.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Outdoor Experience is a Learning Community that appeals to students interested in learning about and engaging with the outdoors—with a specific focus on Vermont. Whether you are seeking to explore the outdoors for the first time or already have a deep connection to the natural world, our community strives to knit together a wide variety of experiences. We offer a number of community gatherings, presentations, workshops, guided outings, and self-designed experiences intended to build a diverse and engaged community, encourage self-discovery and teamwork, and promote the development of leadership skills.
In Outdoor Experience, stewardship or care to our community is a core value. As our community continues to grow, recognizing these values means we must place special attention on actions that can be disruptive to ourselves, our home, or the environment. As a member of Outdoor Experience, you agree to uphold our core values with integrity.
- Examine scientific and anecdotal evidence that supports the benefits of outdoor experiences on human well-being.
- Engage in a variety of outdoor activities throughout Burlington to expand their connection to a broader community and natural settings.
- Develop an understanding of how their identities and experiences shape their worldview and perspectives in relationship to others, within an inclusive outdoor community.
Resident Advisor (RA): Work closely with the Outdoor Experience team as a primary resource for students to build a sense of home and support community connections and involvement. Students interested in this position should be on the lookout for RA Info Sessions in November.
Hall Council Member: A great way to have a voice and action in the Outdoor Experience community. More information about Hall Council will be available at the beginning of the fall semester.
- Trip Leader Trips
- Large-Scale Trips (apple-picking, ropes course)
- Film Screening
Locations: Coolidge, Davis, Redstone, Slade, Wilks, Wing
Please check your housing contract for more specific location information.