LEARN WHERE YOU LIVE
Explore and align your values with action, create meaningful friendships, and expand your understanding of what leadership and social change is all about. If you want to learn to lead on issues that matter to you, connect with local community partners to explore your passions and enhance your abilities, and take a chance on making a difference, this is the place to create your home away from home at UVM.
Leadership and Social Change is for students who would like to learn about themselves as leaders and engage with others committed to social change. These two values are complemented by a strong focus on community partners here in Burlington, and will attract a broad range of students—from those with little-to-no previous leadership experience to others already deeply engaged in community service and service learning projects.
Build strong friendships with other influencers passionate about leading. Working with on- and off-campus partners, you'll explore your interests and find an impact area that pulls you in—whether it's making meals with the Campus Kitchen Project, organizing a Relay for Life team, engaging with residents at a local senior center, discussing climate change, crocheting for change, or creating something new.
You don’t have to hold a title or a position to be seen and to serve as a leader. We believe leadership is not a position, but a choice. We believe leaders can lead from anywhere, not just from the top. We believe that creating positive changes, big and small, starts with individuals who care.
This community has a place for all talents and skill levels. We offer a number of community gatherings, presentations, workshops, guided activities, and self-designed experiences—all of which will build a diverse and engaged community, encourage self-discovery and teamwork, and promote the development of leadership skills.
Resident Advisor (RA): Work closely with the Leadership & Social Change team as a primary resource for students to build a sense of home and support community connections and involvement. Students interested in this position should be on the lookout for RA Info Sessions in November.
Hall Council Member: A great way to have a voice and action in our Leadership & Social Change community. More information about Hall Council will be available at the beginning of the fall semester.
ON- AND OFF-CAMPUS COMMUNITY PARTNERS
Students in Leadership & Social Change serve a variety of organizations on and off-campus. Some that our students have worked with include:
School/Afterschool Student Services
- Burlington School District
- Boys and Girls Club
- King Street Youth Center
- Spectrum Youth &Family Services
- Mosiac Center for Students of Color
- Champlain Housing Trust
- Habitat for Humanity
- ANEW Place
- Spectrum Youth & Family Services
- All Breeds Rescue
- Humane Society of Chittenden County
Sexual/Domestic Violence Advocacy
- Women’s Center
- STEPS to End Domestic Violence
- H.O.P.E. Works
- Lund Family Center
- Pride Center Vermont
- Justice for QTs
- Outright Vermont
- Prism Center
Sustainability & Environmental Education
- Vermont Energy Investment Corporation
- ECHO Center
- Change Maker Conference: A student-led conference featuring a keynote speaker from the community, breakout sessions on different leadership and service-focused topics, and an opportunity to develop your potential.
- Coffee & Chisme - Affinity Space: Let’s spill the tea and have an honest conversation about the crossroads of leadership and race. Join us every Friday from 9:00-10:00am!
- Leadership Speaker Series: Join us for our weekly workshop designed to address leadership skills, current events, and/or local politics. Students can expect a different speaker each week, engaging conversation, interactive activities, and food.
- Pop-up Political Events: Marches, activist activities, and many more!
Location: Millis Hall
Please check your housing contract for more specific location information.