Student studying in room

The two-year on-campus housing requirement is an important part of every student’s UVM education.

All first-time, first-year students are required to live on campus for four semesters. Our data suggest that students who live on campus adjust more easily to college, are more involved in the campus community, and have more academic success.

How you get housing depends on your student status.


Housing Priority


  • Matriculated students who maintain a course load of 12 or more credits each semester have priority for on-campus housing.
  • Transfer students under age 20 before the first day of classes.
  • Degree students returning from a leave of absence or after withdrawing are guaranteed on-campus housing if they have not yet completed their four-semester residency requirement.
  • Degree students returning from a judicial suspension are guaranteed on-campus housing (upon approval from the Dean of Students Office) if they have not yet completed their four-semester residency requirement.



Degree and non-degree students who are part-time, but intend to enroll in at least nine credit hours may request housing, but it is not guaranteed. If their enrollment drops to fewer than nine credits at any point during the semester, they are required to meet with their residence director, and we reserve the right to terminate their housing contract.



Students not registered for classes (who have either withdrawn voluntarily or been suspended/dismissed) are no longer eligible to live on campus. They have 48 hours from the date of withdrawal to remove all belongings and check out of their room, and must follow standard checkout procedures through their residential complex office manager.