Academic break housing offers a reasonably priced housing option for our residents during Thanksgiving, winter, and spring breaks. It is not yet available in all areas. Starting 2018-2019, it will be available in every hall.
2017-2018 Break Housing Areas
(All other halls are closed)
- Athletic Campus: Harris/Millis, Living/Learning, Marsh/Austin/Tupper
- Central Campus: Central Campus Residence Hall
- Redstone Campus: Coolidge, Wing, Wright
- Trinity/North Campus: McAuley, Mercy, and The Cottages
- 439 College Street
During academic breaks:
- We expect you take necessary safety precautions for building security and your own personal safety.
- There is limited custodial service and no mail or main desk service.
- One residential dining facility remains open, and some retail dining locations have limited operating hours.
- UVM Police is available 24/7 and some ResLife staff is also on duty.
- Residential Life requests the support of and authorizes Police Services to conduct common area and perimeter walks during breaks, including the UVM administrative holidays, Thanksgiving, winter and spring breaks. Furthermore, Residential Life and Police Services may review numbers and locations of students each break, along with identified students of concern and Residential Life staffing schedules, to determine the need for more targeted walks and check-ins by Police Services beyond the common area and perimeter walks identified to facilitate safety and security. Police Services may be present in the halls, including on individual floors, for this purpose.
- See Occupancy Dates for details.
Signing up for Break Housing: 2017-2018
- All students who plan to stay for a break must sign up to have building access and for safety reasons.
- Sign up on the academic break housing request form in myResLife/myHousing. The online form usually opens two weeks before the upcoming break.
- Your student account will be billed a flat weekly rate. Nightly rates are not available. See Costs & Fees.
2017-2018 WINTER BREAK—SIGN UP BY THE WEEK:
Week 1: Saturday, Dec. 16 through Friday, Dec. 22
Week 2: Saturday, Dec. 23 through Friday, Dec. 29
Week 3: Saturday, Dec. 30 through Friday, Jan. 5
Week 4: Saturday, Jan. 6 through Saturday, Jan. 13
Not in a break area? Follow these steps:
1: Find residents(s) of a break area willing to let you stay in their room.
2: Fill out the borrow-a-room request in myHousing. Indicate the room you hope to borrow.
3: Residents of that room must fill out the break housing permission form in myHousing to OK you to stay in their room. (We will email them a reminder.)
4: When things are all set, borrow a room key directly from one of the residents.
5: Borrow a temp swipe card from the office manager of the break hall where you will staying (your CATcard will not work on this hall).
Choosing Break Housing on your 2017-2018 Contract
Choosing break housing on your housing contract gives you the option to stay in your room if you decide to stay on campus during an academic break. If you do not live in an academic break area, you will need to borrow a room from someone who does.
- Incoming Students: Choose break housing on your housing contract. You will be assigned to a break housing hall.
- Current Students: Choose break housing on your contract and choose a room in a break area during spring room selection.
Please note: If you choose break housing on your 2017-2018 contract but also apply for a program in a non-break area, you will have to decide which you want more: break housing or that program.