Student interns work with UVM Dining to audit purchases during three representative months (July, October, and February) to determine the Real Food percentage for each academic year.
What's Real on Campus?
NEW! Dining Units by the Numbers shows the status of Real Food at different dining venues around campus.
Since UVM signed the Real Food Campus Commitment in 2012, the Real Food Working Group has been collaborating with UVM Dining to identify opportunities for new products to help us increase our Real Food percentage on campus. Below are some examples of real food you're already eating, some recent shifts, and ongoing research to identify new products.
Our Big Hitters
All of these items are real, across the entire UVM campus:
- 100% local milk
- 100% organic granola
- 100% local & organic tofu from Vermont Soy
- 100% humane shell eggs*
- 100% ecologically sound or fair trade tea bags
- 100% ecologically sound seafood
- 100% fair or organic coffee
- 100% local & organic maple syrup from the UVM Proctor Maple Research Center
- 100% fair and organic bananas from Equal Exchange**
- 100% local apples from Champlain Orchards***
**Due to inconsistent availability, our distributor sometimes substitutes other brands. In those cases, we have asked our distributor to prioritize other fair trade or ecologically sound alternatives.
***Champlain Orchards provides post-harvest season apples longer than any other VT apple supplier, but even they run out at some point in the year. During that short period of time, our distributor substitutes conventional apples.