The University of Vermont fosters an environment that allows students to succeed at academic life, explore identity, and actively build the campus culture that benefits our entire community.
UVM is firm in its commitment to inclusive excellence and upholding the foundational values of racial and social justice. Our strategy for these endeavors is shaped by a framework for inclusive excellence and action plans across the university (PDF) and is activated through the following areas:
- Educating Our UVM Community
- Recruitment and Retention of Students of Color
- Recruitment and Retention of Faculty/Staff of Color
- Supporting Diverse Identities Across Campus
- University-Wide Honors and Recognition of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
These areas highlight programs and initiatives specifically established to implement a framework for inclusive excellence that engages units across campus. They also facilitate progress toward the following goals:
- Development of unit-specific goals in diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Support of diverse identities across our campus;
- Education of our students, faculty, staff and administration on issues of diversity, equity and inclusion including racism, bias, and social justice;
- Enhanced recruitment and retention of students of color;
- Enhanced recruitment and retention of faculty and staff of color;
- A commitment to honor diversity, equity and inclusion through university-wide recognitions and awards.
Programs, plans, and actions listed are by no means exhaustive, but they are emblematic of UVM’s ongoing commitment to diversity as a core value.
The President's Commission on Inclusive Excellence works to advance the strategic diversity and inclusion goals of the university.