The deadline for honorary degree nominations for the 2021 Commencement Ceremony was February 18, 2020. The Committee will review the nominations and nominees will be presented to the Board at a future meeting.
The nomination process for the 2022 Commencement Ceremony will begin in Fall 2020. This webpage will be updated once the process is under way.
In conferring an Honorary Degree and recommending a Commencement Speaker, the University of Vermont has historically recognized distinction in at least one of three general areas:
- Outstanding achievement or service at or for the benefit of the University of Vermont
- Outstanding achievement or service in or for the benefit of the State of Vermont
- Outstanding achievement or service in the nation or the world
Of particular importance is to identify Honorary Degree candidates and a Commencement Speaker who exemplify or reflect the University values, goals and strategic priorities.
The Committee will also consider the following in evaluating nominees:
- Sustained and dedicated commitment to public life and service
- Significant contributions to the advancement of knowledge
- Significant contribution to the University’s ability to achieve its mission