Research Development offers a suite of services to support faculty efforts to obtain extramural funding for their research, scholarship, and creative activities.
Communication of Funding Opportunities
We keep up-to-date with the funding landscape, and regularly distribute funding opportunities to college leadership and targeted investigators. We also provide access to and train investigators in the use of PIVOT, a comprehensive funding database.
Limited Competition Management
We announce limited submission funding opportunities (i.e., grant solicitations in which the sponsor restricts the number of proposals from UVM), and administer the internal competitions to select our institutional applicant(s). For more information, see Find Funding: Limited Competitions in the Sponsored Project Administration (SPA) website.
Research Proposal Development and Project Management
We partner with individual investigators and research teams through all stages of the writing process to develop a competitive grant proposal. Our services include:
- providing comprehensive grantsmanship review and writing support, with emphasis on ensuring responsiveness to the grant solicitation
- supporting the development of non-technical content, so you can focus on the subject matter
- working with you to develop proposal writing plans and timelines
For large, complex proposals we can manage the proposal preparation process from concept to submission, ensuring that internal and external deadlines are met.
Proposal Review and Grantsmanship Critique
- Thorough review of your full proposal for grantsmanship with annotated comments and suggestions
- Review for responsiveness to reviewer critiques (for resubmissions) and to RFP/RFA requirements
Proposal Writing Assistance and Editing
- Substantively edit your draft text
- Prepare draft text of non-technical proposal sections
- Edit to improve the clarity and flow of your document
- Edit to improve the formatting and presentation of your document
- Coordinate collection of additional information via meetings, phone, email
Secondary Services, Available on a Limited Basis
Overall Proposal Management
- Review solicitation and develop annotated outline of your response to the RFP/RFA
- Manage the proposal preparation process
- Participate in high-level, strategic proposal planning
- Assist with writing non-technical proposal components
- Critically review proposal drafts for grantsmanship, readability, and responsiveness to sponsor requirements
- Manage proposal compilation, assembly
- Coordinate with SPA
Assistance with Budget Development
- Assist with development of draft budget and budget justification
- Coordinate with business manager for review of draft budget
- Coordinate collection of subaward documents from collaborators
Liaison with Sponsored Project Administration (SPA)
- Coordinate with business manager to submit draft and final budget documents for review
- Upload draft and final proposal documents for review, internal routing, and submission
Liaison with Collaborators
- Coordinate collection of biosketches, letters of support
- Assist with preparation and collection of subaward documents
Priority will be given to:
- Large, complex, multi-disciplinary grant proposals (e.g., centers, program projects, training grants, and infrastructure-building grants) to support high-impact, center-level research and scholarship
- Proposals from new faculty or those new to grant writing
- Proposals from established faculty
The following will also be taken into consideration:
- Current and projected workload
- Timeliness of request
- Alignment with areas of institutional priority
For proposals that require cost share or match, investigators must document required commitments prior to engagement with the Research Development team.
Grant Writing Tools, Resources, and Workshops
We develop tools and resources to help streamline your grant writing. In addition, we periodically offer seminars, workshops, and guidance on timely grant-related topics.
Videos & PowerPoint Presentations on Grant Writing
OVPR Director of Research Development Jeralyn Haraldsen, Ph.D., discusses the grant proposal process in eight videos, with accompanying PowerPoint presentations.
Go to Videos & PowerPoint Presentations on Grant Writing (UVM NetID login required).
Jeralyn Haraldsen, PhD
Director, Research Development
(802) 656-2982 | Jeralyn.Haraldsen@uvm.edu
Ingrid Barcelo, PhD
Grant Proposal Developer
(802) 656-1713 | Ingrid.Barcelo@uvm.edu
Hilda Alajajian, MLS
Grant Resources Specialist
(802) 656-1322 | Hilda.Alajajian@uvm.edu
Heidi Malaby, PhD
Grant Proposal Specialist