Congratulations on your acceptance to UVM! We look forward to welcoming you into the UVM family. As you prepare to come to campus, here are important tasks you should complete.

Please note that some of this information is different for students in the Global Gateway Program (GGP) and the Global Gateway Program Pre-Master's Program (PMP).  If you are a GGP or PMP student, please check the pre-arrival information email.

Let UVM know that you are coming

UVM wants to know that you will begin your studies with us!  The first thing to do is to decide to come. 

  • Undergraduate students should let UVM know that you are coming by paying your enrollment fee.  Enrollment fees must be received by the date specified on your offer letter and can be paid online. Visit Undergraduate Admissions online or contact your admissions counselor for additional information.
  • Exchange students who are accepted for a spot at UVM do not need to confirm your acceptance - we expect you will be joining us.  Please let us know if your plans change.
  • Graduate students should read your offer letter for instructions on how to accept your offer.
  • Global Gateway Program students will work with Study Group to confirm their enrollment. 

Save the date for orientation

The Office of International Education provides an orientation program for all international students. Participation in the orientation program is mandatory. Orientation covers information about immigration, UVM student life, cultural adjustment, course registration, health and safety procedures, housing, and meal plans. It also offers activities like campus and library tours, social events, and trips to help set up U.S. cell phones and bank accounts.

See International Student Orientation for dates and more information. This orientation is required.

Request your immigration document or tell us about an immigration status you already have

To study in the United States, most of our new students need an immigration document to suppor their student visa. Most students come to the USA as an F-1 student if they are coming for a degree or for the GGP program. Students who are coming as exchange students usually come as J-1 students. Some students will come in other visa categories. 

  • Undergraduate and Graduate Students: After you have confirmed that you will enroll at UVM, you will start to receive emails from the Office of International Education (OIE) with instructions about how to request an immigration document in iStart or tell us about another immigration status you might already hold.  Follow the directions in the email.  Pay attention to the deadlines for requesting this document. We cannot accommodate late requests.
  • Exchange Students: Your document will be automatically issued in the period after your acceptance to an exchange to UVM. This document will come either from UVM, or from your J-1 exchange sponsor, such as ISEP or IIE.
  • Global Gateway Students: Your immigration document will automatically be issued after you confirm your enrollment, and it will be sent to you by Study Group.


Pay your SEVIS fee and apply for your student visa

After you receive your I-20 or DS-2019, you will need to pay your SEVIS fee and obtain your F-1 or J-1 student visa.  Plan ahead!  It can take several weeks or even months to schedule an appointment and receive your visa.  Read more about this process on Applying for Your Visa.

If you are a citizen of Canada and Bermuda, you do not need a visa.  But, you will still need to pay the SEVIS fee.  See the directions in Applying for Your Visa.

Open your UVM email account to get your Net ID and password

You will need your student ID number (also called your “95 Number”) to open your UVM student and email account. You can find this number in your official UVM admissions letter or exchange student pre-arrival email. Visit UVM’s Information Technology website and click on ‘Set up your NetID’.  It will take you to another page to ask for your student ID number and birth date and will walk you through the process of opening your email account. 

IMPORTANT: When you set up your password, you MUST remember it.  If you forget it, it is very complicated to “reset” your student account from outside of the USA.  You will need your NetID and password for many things at UVM, including accessing your email, registering for classes and logging into UVM’s wifi network.

  • Are you an undergraduate student who has not received your admission letter?  Check your admissions portal.
  • Are you a graduate student who has not received your admission letter?  Contact the Graduate College at
  • Exchange students receive this information in the pre-arrival email for your exchange. If you need help, email

Make housing decisions

First-time first-year students and exchange students are required to live on campus.  Transfer students may be eligible to live on campus depending on their situation.  UVM does not have on-campus graduate student housing, but there are many local options for housing.

  • Undergraduate and exchange students must complete a Housing and Meal Plan Contract with the Office of Residential Life.  Visit UVM ResLife online to learn more about your housing options and check your UVM email for information about your housing contract from Residential Life. More information about dining plans is available from UVM Dining Services. Students will not be given their room assignments one or two weeks before arrival.
  • Graduate students can learn more about housing in Burlington by visiting our International Student Housing website. We strongly recommend that you arrange for your housing before arriving in the USA.

Receive required immunizations

The University of Vermont is committed to maintaining the health of our individual students and our campus community.  Immunizations provide effective protection from vaccine-preventable diseases. The following rules apply for the UVM community:

GGP, Undergraduate and Exchange Students

Global Gateway Program, undergraduate and exchange students are required by the Vermont State Health Department to submit or receive required immunizations. This should be done before you arrive at UVM. It is easiest to get all vaccinations at home - students can get them at UVM but there is an additional cost. These immunizations may not be required in your home country, but are required by law in Vermont.  Visit the Center for Health & Wellbeing’s website for the requirements.  After you have received all required immunizations, you must complete TWO tasks:

  1. Paper Immunization Form: This form must be completed by your doctor. Immunization records must be in English, or accompanied by a translation of each immunization and date administered. This documentation is required by Vermont law. You must upload a copy of the form to your MyWellbeing account before arrival and bring your paper immunization forms to UVM.
  2. Online Immunization Form: You can complete this form once you have your paper form completed and you are registered for courses.  For exchange and Global Gateway Program students, the form is available in early August (August arrival) or in late December (January arrival).  Undergraduate students will be notified by the university when the form is available.

PMP and Graduate Students

Graduate students are strongly encouraged, but not required, to obtain recommended vaccines. Students who travel internationally are especially recommended to obtain these vaccines. Additional departmental/lab requirements may mandate immunization compliance for graduate students. Check with department for details. Visit the Center for Health & Wellbeing’s website for the recommendations.


Check your health care information

Health History Form: All students must complete a Health History Form which helps UVM doctors understand your medical needs, such as chronic conditions or past surgeries. This can be done prior to arrival or during orientation. You need to be registered for six credit hours before the form becomes available.  Generally, the form is available in early August for an August arrival or late December for a January arrival for exchange, Global Gateway Program, Global Gateway Program Pre-Master's Program and graduate students.  Undergraduate students will be notified by the university when the health history form is available.

Medical, Dental, & Vision Care Check-ups: A physical exam is not required for attendance at UVM, but it is a good idea to have medical, dental, and vision exams before you travel.  Please note that the basic UVM student health insurance plan does not cover dental care or many services related to vision care.

Prescriptions: Bring any prescription medications (with copies of your prescriptions translated into English). If you can bring the chemical/medical name of the drug with you, it may be easier to find the equivalent when you arrive in the US.  Prescription medication often costs more in the US, so you may want to bring a sufficient supply with you. Students who wear glasses and contact lenses may benefit from bringing more than they need in case something gets lost/broken. If not, bring a recent eye exam prescription if you have one – this may be helpful later!

Insurance: UVM international students are automatically enrolled in UVM’s Student Health Insurance Plan.  For more information about healthcare in the US and at UVM, please see Health Care at UVM.

  • Some exchange students have health insurance through their home university or through another organization.  Please see J-1 Student Health Insurance for more information about minimum coverage requirements and how to waive enrollment in UVM’s insurance.

For questions about immunizations at UVM, contact the Immunization Compliance Office at

For questions about health care at UVM, contact the Student Health Insurance Office at

Schedule your classes

Most students begin their course scheduling before arrival so that you can build the best possible selection of courses for your first semester. Class availability is limited in the week or two before the semester starts and it is best to schedule classes early. If you have questions about which department to contact please contact the OIE.  More information about enrollment requirements is available on our Full-Time Enrollment webpage.

  • Undergraduate Students will begin course selection over email or the phone with your academic department after you have paid the acceptance fee. This usually happens in late June or July if you are arriving in August or in November or December if you are arriving in January. If you do not schedule your classes before you arrive, you will need to meet with an advisor during international student orientation.
  • Exchange students should read the information on course registration in Preparing for Your Exchange before beginning enrollment.
  • Graduate students should contact their program directly to understand the enrollment process. Some graduate programs do not enroll students until they are on campus – if this is the case for your program, do not worry – they will help you upon arrival. The important thing is to contact your department and ask.

Plan your arrival

The Office of International Education will provide much more detailed information about coming to UVM closer to the start of orientation!  Please check the dates of your International Student Orientation and plan to arrive on or before Arrival Day, including details about check-in times for students living on campus. As you think about how to arrive in Burlington, the following information can be helpful in planning.

Air: Several airlines serve Burlington International Airport (BTV).  Burlington International Airport is just 4km from campus.

Bus: Greyhound Lines and Megabus can connect you to Boston, Montreal, and New York City.  Sometimes the buses stop on campus.  At other times, they stop at the airport or downtown.

Train: Amtrak trains serve Burlington from New York City, Washington DC and other major cities. All trains arrive in Essex Junction. The Essex Junction train station is about 10km from campus.

Hotels and temporary housing: UVM is unable to offer accommodation if you arrive prior to your move-in date.  There are many hotels near campus.  Please see the Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce website for options.

Pay your student bill

In most cases, you will not have a student bill until you register for classes.  UVM will send you an email at your UVM email account when your bill is available.  To view your bill, log into MyUVM and click on "Student Financial Services," then "Account & Billing Information."

Billing information is sent only to the student and any proxies (authorized payers) they have established. A proxy can be a parent or anyone else who you want to have access to view and pay your bill online. Proxies are also emailed when a new bill is available. You may add a proxy to your account while viewing your bill online.  Instructions to set up a proxy are available on the Student Financial Services website.

If you have questions about payment options or bill due dates, please contact Student Financial Services.

Important: Your name and ID Number must be on all correspondence with Student Financial Services. You should also pay the exact amount that is listed on your bill, not the I-20 form.

Start connecting

There are so many different ways to get involved on campus and to connect with other students.  You can start checking them out now and contacting other students!  The OIE’s Getting Involved page has many ideas of how to connect with other students.  You can also start connecting with new students now through social media. All international students are invited to join the OIE Facebook group. New graduate students may also join an international graduate student Facebook group and GradNet, which is a listserv for new graduate students.


Please review information carefully and stop by often to make sure you are on track. If you have questions or need help, email!