Dr. Mary Val Palumbo is director of Interprofessional Education for the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. She also directs the Vermont Area Health Education Center (AHEC) Nursing Workforce, Research, Planning and Development initiative at the University of Vermont. Since 2001, she has received research and project grants for initiatives to address the nursing shortage including emergency preparedness, re-entering nursing practice, nurse health and wellness, older nurse retention, and healthcare career awareness. In addition to conducting research on Vermont's nurse workforce, Dr. Palumbo teaches nurse practitioner students and practices as a gerontological nurse practitioner at The University of Vermont Medical Center Memory Program.
Research and/or Creative Works
- Vermont Action Coalition State Implementation Program - Future of Nursing. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation - $149,966 (Co-PI), November 2013 - October 2015
- Inviting Innovation in Inter-professional Care of Elders with Chronic Illnesses. HRSA Advanced Education - $620,477 (PI), July 2013 - June 2016
- Developing Best Practices in Communication when Using the Electronic Health Record for Nurse Practitioner and Medical Students and their Preceptors. Frymoyer's Scholars Program - $41,049 (Co-PI), May 2012-2014
- Phase II-Preparing Nursing Students for Employment in Vermont. Vermont Department of Labor - $40,000 (PI), September 1, 2008 - September 1, 2009
- Mission Essential-Ladders for a Lifetime. HRSA Career Ladders Grant - $202,790 (PI), July 1, 2005 - June 30, 2008
- Vermont Health Workforce Supply/Demand Monitoring System. HRSA Research Focused Initiative - $393,637 (PI), August 1, 2004 - June, 30, 2006
- Launch of On-line Program for RN Re-entry. VT Department of Employment and Training - $43,792 (PI), July 1, 2004 - June 30, 2005
- Next Steps in Expanding Educational Capacity for VT Nursing Schools. VT Health Department Office of Rural Health - $32,122 (PI), January 1 - June 30, 2004
- Survey of Inactive Nurses. VT Health Department Office of Rural Health and Bioterrorism Preparedness, $62,100 (PI). The Vermont Inactive Nurse Survey, January 1 - June 30 2004
- The Process of Re-entry into Nursing Practice in Vermont. VT Health Department Office of Rural Health, $31,675 (PI), March 2003 - August 2003
- Rural Nursing Workforce Research Planning and Development. HRSA Rural Outreach Grant, $387,000 (grant manager and co-investigator). Job Analysis and Retention Survey, 2003 RN and LNA Relicensure surveys, Long Term Care Staffing Mix and Deficiency Analysis, Middle School Students' Perceptions of an Ideal Career and a Career in Nursing, Statewide Analysis of RN's Intention to Leave, June 2002- June 2004
- Health Workforce Assessment. VT Health Department Office of Rural Health, $50,000 (PI). Vermont Health Workforce Assessment Pilot Study, July 2002 - June 2003
Palumbo, MV, Sandoval M, Hart V, Drill C (2016). Teaching electronic health record communication skills. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing. Jun;34(6):254-8. doi: 10.1097/CIN.0000000000000238
Palumbo, MV, DeGagne, J. and Murphy, G. (2016) Interprofessional care of elders: utilizing the virtual learning environment. Journal of American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2016 May 10 doi: 10.1002/2327-6924.12368
Morrison, J, Palumbo,MV and Rambur, B. (2016) Reducing preventable hospitalizations with two models of transitional care. Journal of Nursing Scholarship. May;48(3):322-9. doi: 10.1111/jnu.12210
Palumbo, MV and Faibish,D (in press). Online Video Conferencing: A Promising Innovation in Interprofessional Education, Journal of Allied Health. Winter/December, 2016.
Palumbo, MV, (2014) Exercise and wellness for older adults: Practical programming strategies. Second edition reviewed in: Activities, Adaptation, & Aging Vol. 38, No. 2, Apr. - June 2014.
Palumbo, MV, Sikorski, EA, Liberty, BC. (2013) Exploring the cost-effectiveness of unit-based health promotion activities for nurses. Workplace Health and Safety. 61 (12): 514-520.
Redmond, T., Palumbo, MV, and Rambur, BA (2012). Certified nurse practitioner awareness of regulatory changes in Vermont. Journal of Nursing Regulation. 3(3): 13-18.
Palumbo, MV, Rambur, BA, Boyer SA. (2012). Education and employment characteristics of nurse preceptors. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. Jul 23:1-9. doi: 10.3928/002220124-20120716-29.
Palumbo, MV, Wu G, Shaner-McRae H, Rambur B, McIntosh B. (2012). Tai Chi for older nurses: a workplace wellness pilot study. Applied Nursing Research. Feb;25(1):54-9. Epub 2010 Apr 13.
Rambur, B., Palumbo MV, McIntosh, B., Cohen, J., and Naud, S. (2011). Similarities and differences in young adults' perception of an ideal career and perceptions of nursing: Does gender matter? Nursing Management, 42(4), 19-24.
Palumbo, MV, Marth, N., Rambur, B. Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) supply in a small state: trends to inform policy (2011). Policy, Politics & Nursing Practice. 12 (1) 27-35. (Abstract)
McIntosh, BR, Palumbo, MV, Rambur, BA. An aging nursing workforce necessitates change. American Journal of Nursing. Dec, 110 (12): 56-8. (Abstract)
Palumbo, MV, Rambur, B, McIntosh, B and Naud , S. Registered Nurses' perceptions of health and safety related to their intention to leave. AAOHN Journal 58(3), 95-103. (Abstract)
Palumbo, MV, Wu, G., Shaner-McRae, H., Rambur, B. & McIntosh, B. Tai Chi for older nurses: A workplace wellness pilot study. Applied Nursing Research DOI: 10.1016/j.apnr.2010.01.002. (Abstract)
McIntosh, BR, Palumbo, MV, Rambur, BA. (2010) An aging nursing workforce necessitates change. American Journal of Nursing. Dec, 110 (12): 56-8.
Palumbo, MV, McIntosh, B, Rambur, B and Naud, S.(2009) Retaining an aging nurse workforce: perceptions of human resource practices. Nursing Economics 27 (4), 221-227,232. (Abstract)
Palumbo, MV. (2008). State Funding for Nurse Faculty Loan Repayment: The Vermont Experience. In Dickson G & Flynn L (Eds.) Nursing Research and Policy: Turning Evidence into Health Policy. Springer Publishing Company, LLC: New York, NY.
Palumbo, MV, Rambur, MV, McIntosh, B., Naud, S. (2008). Perceptions of an ideal career vs. perceptions of six health careers. Journal of Allied Health 37(1) 8-14. (Abstract)
Rambur, B., Palumbo, MV, McIntosh, B., Thomas, C. (2008) A cross-disciplinary statewide rural healthcare workforce analysis. Journal of Allied Health 37, (2), 106-109. (Abstract)
McIntosh, B., Palumbo, MV, Rambur, B. (2006). Does a 'shadow workforce' of inactive nurses exist? Nursing Economics 24 (5): 231-238. (Abstract)
Reinier, K., Palumbo, MV, McIntosh, B., Rambur, B., Kolodinsky, J., Hurowitz, L., Ashikaga, T. (2005) Measuring the nursing workforce: definitions and survey results. Medical Care Research and Review 62: 741-755. (Abstract)
Rambur, B., McIntosh, B., Palumbo, MV, Reinier, K. (2005) Education as a determinant of career retention and job satisfaction among registered nurses. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 37(2): 185-92. (Abstract)
Awards and Recognition
- Vermont State Nurses Association "Honor a Nurse" Award, November 2009
- Sigma Theta Tau International 2007 Best of Journal of Nursing Scholarship (Profession and Society category) for Education as a Determinant of Career Retention and Job Satisfaction Among Registered Nurses
- Rush University Dean's Award, June 2005
- Rush University Golden Lamp Society Award for Outstanding Performance in the Doctor of Nursing Program, August 2004
Associations and Affiliations
- American Nurses Association
- Eastern Nurses Research Society
- Vermont Organization of Nurse Leaders
- Vermont State Nurses Association
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
- Interprofessional education
- Nursing workforce
- Alzheimer's disease
- D.N.P.; Rush University
- M.S., Nursing; MGH Institute of Health Professions
- B.S., Physical Education & Recreation; East Stroudsburg State College
- (802) 656-0023
231E Rowell Building
- GRNS 412 - Advanced Nursing Practice of Older Adults
- GRNS 407 - Optimizing Health
- GRNS 408 - Management of Common Health Issues
- GRNS 390 - Master's Project
- GRNS 391 - Master's Thesis Research