Wonder what the road ahead looks like? We’ve got a map for that. UVM is planning a summer of comprehensive, digital events intentionally themed to help introduce you to your new campus, connect you with your peers, and navigate the multitude of resources that are now (literally) at your fingertips.
Whether you are a first year or a transfer student, this page will have all of the information you need to navigate the summer before you join us on campus in August. Make sure to check your New Student Checklist throughout the summer as it will have the most up to date information on what you need to complete, but use this page a reference for what is to come.
Pro Tip: Bookmark this page. This summer roadmap is a living schedule that will be updated frequently with new events, opportunities, and information - so check back often.
MAY: Welcome & Introductions
Let’s get started. This month is all about preparing you for the Summer! You'll receive your Learning Community placement and hear from your academic Dean, and schedule your virtual academic overview sessions.
- MAY 1: Acceptance Fee Deadline
Submit your acceptance fee and officially join #uvm2025.
Transfer students, defer to the date in your letter if it is different from May 1.
- MAY 8: Housing and Meal Plan Contract Due
Rank your Learning Community preferences and understand the basics of living on-campus.
Transfer students, make sure to check your eligibility and requirements for on-campus housing.
- MAY 11: Start your Academic Journey
This week, you’ll hear from your Academic Dean.
- MAY 21: Learning Community Placements & Move-In Dates Announced
Learn which learning community you have been placed in and get excited about the community you’ll build together throughout this summer and into fall. You will also receive your designated move-in date with your Learning Community Placement (students in WE will learn their move-in date in mid-July).
- Late May: Registration will open for our Early Experiences on June 5. These pre-move in experiences allowing you to arrive on campus early, make meaningful and lasting connections, and explore your new campus community just before the start of the fall semester. Learn more.
JUNE: Courses & Communities
Let’s get settled. This month, you’ll be required to have a 1:1 and/or small group course registration advising session where you’ll finalize your fall courses. Learning Communities will also be hosting meet-ups for you to get to know other students you’ll live with on campus.
- JUNE 1 - 14 : Schedule Your Course Registration Advising Appointment
As of June 1, you are eligible to register for your individual Course Registration Advising Appointment. You may sign up anytime before June 14. Details about signing up for your course registration advising appointment - which will occur between June 14-July 2 (exact dates vary by college/school) will come to your UVM email.
Transfer students, your academic unit will be in touch about scheduling fall courses.
- JUNE 3, 8, & 27: Chat with a Cat
UVM will be hosting three virtual Chat with a Cat sessions in June! Come talk to our AdvoCats (student leaders who will serve as your guides for all things new student related) and get any questions about the student experience at UVM answered. Join us on the following days:
- Thursday, June 3 from 7:00 - 8:00 PM
- Tuesday, June 8 from 7:00 - 8:00 PM
- Sunday June 27 from 1:00 - 2:00 PM
- JUNE 7 - 11: Academic Overview Sessions
Learn more about your academic program and the requirements of your school or college. These sessions are meant to prepare you for course registration (you’ll be invited to schedule your course registration appointment over email, so check your UVM email regularly this month). Meet with advisors from your College to prepare for your academic transition. Family are welcome to attend sessions alongside their students for information.
Transfer students, you are welcome to attend these sessions as you are able - the information is applicable to all new students.
WATCH RECORDINGS OF THE SESSIONS BELOW
- JUNE 15- 30: Learning Community Virtual Meet-Up
Get to know your Learning Community staff and other students in your Learning Community during our LC Virtual Sessions.
- JUNE 15: Take a virtual tour of your residence hall for an inside look at your new home!
- JUNE 16: See the inside of a room in your residence hall and find out to top 5 things you should bring with you to your new room.
- JUNE 22 and 23: Meet other students in your Learning Community and find a potential roommate!
- JUNE 29: Get to know the in's and out's of UVM's campus and learn everything you need to know about Burlington, VT.
- Each session will be on Microsoft Teams from 7pm-8pm EDT. Join us at each session by joining the link corresponding to your assigned learning community on the Res Life Incoming Students webpage. The link will bring you directly to your assigned meeting.
- The Liberal Arts Scholars Program (LASP) staff will be hosting virtual sessions on June 15th and June 29th from 7pm-8pm using the following link: go.uvm.edu/explore-lasp.
- Students in the Honors College Learning Community are encouraged to join the Honors College Peer Mentors for a virtual welcome session on Wednesday, June 23 at 7pm. Get more information on how to join that session.
- JUNE 14 - JULY 2: Course Registration Advising Appointments (Students Only)
Ready, set, register! You’ll meet with an academic advisor to finalize your fall course schedule. Exact dates vary by college or school-- Instructions on how to schedule or confirm your appointment time will be sent to via email.
Transfer students, you will hear from your College Student Services office directly to set up your appointment (likely in late June, depending on when you were admitted). Keep an eye on your UVM email for more details.
More Information on Course Registration
Note: You might see some classes appearing on your schedule before this meeting. Fear not - it's just a draft and you'll have a chance to chat with an advisor about all your options (and finalize your fall schedule) at your Course Registration Appointment.
- Watch the registration video and familiarize yourself with your myUVM portal.
- Complete the math readiness test (if required - get the link from your Email) and foreign language placement test (if required if you wish to take Spanish or French in the fall).
- Check to see if your college or major has a laptop or technology requirement.
- If needed, connect with Student Accessibility Services to discuss accommodations.
- Submit transcripts and AP and/or IB scores (Learn more in your student checklist)
- JUNE 15 - EARLY JULY: Student Finances & Account Set-Up
Now’s the time to get your student account ready to go. Set-up Direct Deposit so UVM can easily refund money to your account, add a proxy if you’d like a family member to see the details of your account, and prepare for Student Financial Services to send your fall bill in early July.
- BY JUNE 15: Immunizations Due
Completed immunization forms are required to be submitted to the Center for Health and Wellbeing by this date. Wondering about the status of this to-do item? Check your UVM checklist for updated progress. See the Frequently Asked Questions here.
- BY JULY 1: Health Insurance Due
Completed UVM insurance waiver / decision form are required to be submitted to the Center for Health and Wellbeing by this date. Wondering about the status of this to-do item? Check your UVM checklist for updated progress.
JULY: Learning & Exploration
Let’s connect. This month, you’ll be invited to affinity spaces (small group meet-ups where you can connect based on different identities you hold). We will continue our Chat with a Cat sessions where you can ask current students anything about their experience, and we’ll begin starting to envision your arrival on campus in August!
- JUNE 28 - JULY 5: Roommate Preferences and Trading Spaces
Starting June 28, you can preference a roommate in your same learning community (don’t stress if you have no preference! Most students do not preference a roommate.) Through Trading Spaces you can request placement in a different learning community and/or request a preferred roommate who is living in a different learning community from you.
- JUNE 30 -AUGUST 1: Affinity Spaces
New Student Programs is excited to offer Affinity Spaces that will focus a little more about exploring your identities, values, and interests. These spaces are open to all new students who identify with each theme, whether you are a first year or transfer.
- International Students -
Exploring Your Identity as an International Student on Campus
June 30th, 9:00AM EDT
- Mosaic Center for Students of Color (MCSC) -
Exploring Your Identity as a Student of Color on Campus
July 1st, 11:00AM EDT
- Interfaith Center -
Exploring Your Philosophical and/or Religious Identity
Thursday, July 8th, 4:00 PM EDT
- Prism Center -
Exploring Your Sexual and/or Gender Identity
Thursday, July 15th, 2:00 PM EDT
- First Generation Student Success -
Meeting other First Generation College Students
Tuesday, July 20th, 7:00 PM EDT
- Women and Gender Equity Center -
Exploring Your Feminist Identity
Thursday, July 22th, 2:00 PM EDT
- Transfer Students -
Meet other Transfers on Campus
Wednesday, July 28th, 5:30 PM EDT
- International Students -
- JULY 7, 19, & 25: Chat with a Cat
UVM will be hosting three virtual Chat with a Cat sessions in July! Come talk to our AdvoCats (student leaders who will serve as your guides for all things new student related) and get any questions about the student experience at UVM answered. Join us on the following days:
- Wednesday , July 7 from 7:00 - 8:00 PM EDT
Note: this session will focus on living & dining on campus, come prepared with your questions!
- Monday, July 19 from 7:00 - 8:00 PM EDT
- Sunday, July 25 from 1:00 - 2:00 PM EDT
- Wednesday , July 7 from 7:00 - 8:00 PM EDT
- BY AUGUST 1: Upload your Vaccination Card
All students will be required to upload proof of COVID19 vaccination in order to join us on campus. You can reach out to email@example.com for more questions. In rare instances, we understand there may be some unique health or religious reasons that may impact your ability to pursue the required vaccination. Students requesting an exemption from the COVID-19 vaccination must complete this form by August 1. Students who are not fully vaccinated will be required to test frequently and to wear a mask indoors.
AUGUST: Readiness and Arrival
Let’s get ready. This month, you’ll attend some mandatory Orientation Leader circles where you will meet other students in your College, and get some important info before arriving on campus. Mostly we want you to feel prepared and excited to join us at the end of the month for your on-campus orientation!
- Early AUGUST: Orientation Leader Circles
First-year students, come meet your Orientation Group! You'll be with this group for one Orientation Circle virtually, and then they will be your Orientation Group for your in-person Orientation Leader circle. You are assigned by your Learning Community, so these will be faces you see around!
Transfer Students, you will have a chance to join a virtual Orientation Leader circle just with other Transfer students in August. Then, when you arrive on campus, you will be assigned an Orientation Group based on which learning community you are in. This way, you will get to connect with both of your campus communities, other transfers and your Residential Learning Community!
- AUGUST 2nd: Housing Assignments Announced
The big reveal! Find out your residence hall, room number, and who your roommate(s) are. This way, you’ll have plenty of time to coordinate what you’ll need for your room.
AUGUST 3 - Preparation and Arrival Session
Join us for arrival information and a preview of the fall on-campus experience. Open to both students and their family members to answer any lingering questions.
- AUGUST 9 & 13: Chat with a Cat
UVM will be hosting two final virtual Chat with a Cat sessions in August! Come talk to our AdvoCats (student leaders who will serve as your guides for all things new student related) and get any questions about the student experience at UVM answered. Join us on the following days:
- August 9 from 7:00 - 8:00 PM EDT
- August 13 from 7:00 - 8:00 PM EDT
- AUGUST 28: Bill due
Student Financial Services is your guide through our billing processes.
- AUGUST 26th & 27th: First Year Move-In
Keeping everyone safe will be our number one priority for Move-In. Move-In will happen directly before Orientation on August 26th and 27th, which is the weekend before the start of classes. Remember, you received your specific Move-in Date in your Learning Community Placement email (sent on May 21st), or in a separate email if you were placed in the Wellness Environment. Feel free to get in touch with ResLife@uvm.edu with any questions related to Move-In.
NOTE: For students participating in WEVenture or TREK, move-in will happen earlier. Keep an eye out for your program details for more information.
- AUGUST 26th - 29th: August Orientation
And now... the moment we've all been waiting for! Once move-in is completed for new students, orientation weekend will begin! We will have two 'cohorts' for Orientation, depending on your move-in day (don't worry - there will be plenty of time to connect with all new students). The weekend will be full of programming for you to connect (again) with your Orientation groups, and other new students to build community and get to know campus better before the start of classes. Your orientation start date will depend on your move-in date, and we will be publishing a schedule soon so that students can see all the excitement we have planned!
Check out the August Orientation Overview webpage here.
Note: We will be hosting a brief reception and send-off on the late afternoon of move-in day for family members and parents this year. For other opportunities, we encourage you to check out the Calendar for Families, which contains info about visiting for Parent and Family Weekend as well as other opportunities to engage with UVM now that you are part of the extended Catamount family!