Randolph Center--Three Randolph Center dairy farms welcomed participants for the 2018 Central and Southeast Region Dairy Judging Tour, May 5.
Twenty-nine 4-H'ers from Orange and Windsor Counties took part in the annual competition, which involved judging two classes of Jerseys at White Rock Farm (Angell family), two classes of Ayrshires at the Conant farm and two classes of Holsteins at the Williams farm. Officiating at the University of Vermont Extension 4-H-sponsored event was Mark Angell of Randolph Center.
In addition to providing rankings for each class, 4-H'ers competing in the senior division, ages 14-18, also were required to provide oral reasons without notes for two classes. Juniors, ages 11-13, were encouraged to give reasons using notes though their answers were not factored into their overall score.
Placements were as follows:
- NOVICES (ages 8-10, first-time dairy judging participants): Shyanne Ensminger, Bethel (first); Joey Ferris, Braintree (second); Kalynn Messier, Randolph Center (third); Owen Bishop, Reading (fourth); Leah Rogers, Randolph (fifth); Joey Palazzo, Pomfret (sixth). Brooke Rowlee, Reading, also participated in this division and tied for first, but because she is a 4-H Cloverbud (ages 5-7), she was not officially eligible to compete.
- BEGINNERS (ages 8-10): Dominic Palazzo, Pomfret (first); Elizabeth Waterman, Thetford Center (second); Dani Flint, South Royalton (third); Hailey Dow, West Hartford (fourth)
- ROOKIES (ages 11-13, first-time dairy judging participants): Amanda Ferris, Braintree (first); Zinny Harris, North Springfield (second); Annabelle Messier, Randolph Center (third); Aliyah Ensminger, Bethel (fourth)
- JUNIORS (ages 11-13): Myra McNaughton, Weathersfield (first); Zed McNaughton, Weathersfield (second); Hayleigh Howe, South Royalton (third); Josie Cross, Reading (fourth); Dylan Slack, Bethel (fifth); Julia Howe, Tunbridge (sixth); Hayden Howe, South Royalton (seventh)
- SENIORS (ages 14-18): Caleb Palazzo, Pomfret (first); Katherine Howard, East Thetford (second); Tyler Slack, Bethel (third); Brennan Vaughan, East Thetford (fourth); Gabe Howe, Tunbridge (fifth)
Sylvia Johnson and Keenan Thygesen, both from Tunbridge, participated in four of the six classes but were not able to complete the judging tour due to other commitments.
For information about the 4-H dairy program in Orange and Washington Counties, contact Allison Smith at (802) 476-2003, ext. 205. For Windham and Windsor Counties, call Lisa Muzzey at (802) 885-8386.