Pictured in 1893 with the tools of their trade, these surveying students were part of the civil-engineering program introduced as UVM became the state’s land grant institution. In the late nineteenth century, graduates of such engineering programs played an integral role in the nation’s development, working on projects that ranged from improving roads and water systems to building better railroads.

Engineering professor Eric Hernandez shared the old photo at top with his structural analysis class and challenged them to re-create it. It happened that photographer Nick Bucci was among the students and he took the bait, rounding up friends and classmates for the shot above. 

 

Next Extra Credit

PUBLISHED

06-15-2016
Thomas Weaver