Medical students often find themselves stressed by academic challenges, high standards and career choice dilemmas. UVM recognizes that personal wellness plays an integral role in medical student success.
The UVM College of Medicine works to alleviate these stresses by:
- increasing connectivity between students and faculty and among students at all levels of the curriculum through participation in the Learning Communities
- providing students with effective academic and career counseling through regular meetings with their advisors
- cultivating peer mentoring relationships (academic and personal) for on-going support and guidance
Student-Led Wellness Initiatives
Committee for Medical Student Wellbeing
The students on this committee provide a confidential peer support system for medical students. They connect students to mental health resources and educate students on ways to stay happy, healthy and successful.The committee sponsors the following activities: weekly yoga classes, snacks prior to big exams, hikes and snowshoeing and BBQ's and potlucks. They also publish a biannual wellness newsletter.
Campus Wellness Resources
UVM's Center for Health & Wellbeing is comprised of several offices which provide accessible, high-quality, prevention-oriented care designed specifically to meet the needs of UVM students
425 Pearl St.
|Student Health sees students by appointment for acute and chronic medical problems and injuries, preventive care (health risk assessment, smoking cessation, allergy injections, immunizations, preparation for foreign travel, and men's health issues).||Phone: 802-656-3350
425 Pearl St. - 2nd Floor Rm. 2221
|Women's Health sees students by appointment for annual exams, pap tests, treatment for vaginitis, urinary tract infections, prevention and management of sexually transmitted infections, and pregnancy prevention options, including emergency contraception.||Phone: 802-656-0603
Several locations on campus
|Nutrition Services is staffed by two registered dietitians who provide individual consultations, group presentations and special events to students. They also work collaboratively with other CHWB staff to help students overcome problem eating.||Phone: 802-656-3663|
UVM Counseling Center & Psychiatric Services
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am - 4pm
The Counseling Center is a unit of the UVM Center for Health and Wellbeing. Individual, couples and group counseling are available to all enrolled medical students. Most student concerns and psychological problems are worked with in-house, while some specialized and longer-term matters may be referred to community psychotherapists. Counseling sessions are free, confidential, and typically scheduled once per week for 45-50 minutes.
|Jacob's House Office:
Our students have very diverse interests both inside and outside of the
classroom, ranging from playing music in local clubs and rock climbing
to club sports and, of course, taking advantage of the winter
recreational opportunities Vermont has to offer. Medical students also
have access to a wealth of UVM campus facilities and events
- Davis Student Center offers great food and even better coffee.
- Gutterson Athletic Campus - a short walk from the medical school, which offers a fitness center, swimming pool, ice rink, climbing wall, tennis and squash courts, basketball courts, and more. (Take a campus photo tour).
- Intramural sports are popular among UVM College of Medicine students, and teams have gone on to win championships in several sports. Students are also involved in national organizations including AMWA (American Medical Women's Association) and AMSA (American Medical Student Association).
- Arts on Campus
- Check the UVM all-campus Calendar of Events
- Bored? More stuff to do on- and off-campus
- UVM Athletics/Catamounts schedule
Last modified December 13 2013 11:17 AM