College of Medicine Facts & Figures
The college received nearly 6,000 applications for 116 positions in the Class of 2018, who began their first year in August 2014.
Class of 2018
- Median undergraduate GPA: 3.75
- Median MCAT Verbal: 10.0
- Median MCAT Physical Sciences: 10.0
- Median MCAT Biological Sciences: 11.0
- Students with research experience: 93%
Students come from 31 states across the U.S.
Class of 2014
2014 graduates went on to residencies at 68 institutions across the nation, including Boston University Medical Center, Brown University, Case Western University Hospitals, Children's Hospital Oakland, Duke University Medical Center, University of Pennsylvania, Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles, Maimonides Medical Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Oregon Health & Science University, Tufts Medical Center, UC San Francisco, UCLA Medical Center, University of Washington, UVM Medical Center, and Yale-New Haven Hospital.
- Number of living alumni of the College: 4,447
- Percentage of Alumni who practice in New England: 44%
- Percentage of Vermont physicians educated or trained at the academic medical center: 38%
- Percentage of Alumni who contribute philanthropically: 37%
(Market Value as of June 2014)
- 2014 Department Support: $85,988,808
- Scholarship: $30,313,613
- Total Endowment Value: $116,302,421
Private Gift Revenues
Private philanthropy to the College of Medicine from alumni, friends, and organizations totaled an historic $21.99 million for fiscal year 2014. For more detailed information about philanthropy, see page 46 in the 2014 Year in Review
- Basic Science: 63
- Clinical (full time): 574
- Volunteer (Vt., Conn., Fla., Maine, N.Y.): 1,290
- Staff: 413
- Basic Science: 4
- Clinical: 11
- Total dollars $81.4 million
A total of 280 research projects were active at the College in 2014. College of Medicine funding represents nearly 64 percent of total UVM research funding. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) supported four Centers of Biomedical Research Excellence at UVM during 2014, that focused on neuroscience, immunology, lung biology, and research on human behavior and health.
Total Area: 566,500 sq. ft.
- Given Building: 196,000 sq. ft.
- Health Science Research Facility: 110,000 sq. ft.
- Courtyard at Given: 31,000 sq. ft.
- Robert Larner, M.D. Medical Education Center: 44,000 sq. ft.
- Stafford Hall: 70,000 sq. ft.
- Colchester Research Facility: 72,000 sq. ft.
- DeGoesbriand: 20,000 sq. ft.
- Others: 23,500 sq. ft.
Last modified February 23 2015 10:53 AM