Microsoft is ending support for Windows 7 (and Windows Server 2008) on January 14, 2020. These versions of Windows will no longer receive security or stability updates after this date.
All UVM-owned computers running Windows 7 must be upgraded or replaced by December 2019.
Windows 10 upgrade licenses are available at no cost; UVM’s enterprise agreement with Microsoft provides operating system upgrade licenses for UVM-owned computers. There may be costs associated if hardware upgrades are necessary.
Running out-of-date, unpatched software, including operating systems, puts your data and the university at increased risk, and the university may restrict network access for devices running unsupported operating systems.
- Further reading — UVM Information Security Policy
- Further reading — Microsoft Windows 7 support lifecycle
Because the end of support date falls near the winter break and start of the spring semester, it is essential that you work with your IT support resources to plan for an update or replacement of your Windows 7 computer sooner rather than later.
Please use the guides below to determine if your computer needs to be updated to Windows 10, and where you can go for assistance.
How do I know if my computer is running Windows 7?
Find your Windows version using Windows Explorer
- Press the + E keys on your keyboard.
- From the Windows Explorer window that appears, right-click on “Computer” or “This PC“, then select “Properties“.
- A System window will display with the current version of Windows installed on your computer.
Find your Windows version using 'msinfo32'
- Press the + R keys on your keyboard.
- A Run prompt will appear. Enter the command “msinfo32“, then click “OK”.
- A System Information window will appear. The top Item in the list will display the “OS Name”.
Where can I get help with upgrading to Windows 10?
Contact your IT support unit for assistance with upgrading your machine to Windows 10.
If you do not know who your IT Support Provider is, please use the IT Lookup Tool to locate the appropriate support resource for your department.