Screencasting lectures and other instructional activity can be a valuable teaching tool for remote instruction. UVM has a license for Screencast-O-Matic (SOM), which is available to Faculty and staff only.
Download & Install Screencast-O-Matic (SOM)
Faculty and staff can download SOM from the UVM Software Portal. The UVM Software Portal uses AppsAnywhere, which you will need to download to your computer before being able to download Screencast-O-Matic. Once you have downloaded AppsAnywhere, search on the UVM Software Portal page for Screencast-O-Matic.
Install the software package:
- Windows: Run the downloaded installer .exe
- Mac: Open the downloaded .dmg and drag the SOM app to the Applications folder.
Launch & Login
- Open the installed SOM application by double-clicking on it (or on the shortcut to it).
- Click “I have a Team Plan”.
- Enter the access code uvermont (the field may be titled “access URL” but enter the same code) then click the Submit button.
- This will bring you to the familiar UVM Webauth page – log in with your UVM Netid.
- If you are brought to a registration page (it should be pre-populated with your name and email), then check the box to accept terms of service and click the Create Account button.
Now you’re almost ready to roll camera. Before recording your first screencast, you may need to make a few permissions changes.
Allowing Camera & Microphone Access
SOM may need permission to use the camera and microphone. The steps to do this vary by operating system.
Due to security/privacy restrictions in MacOS, you will need to specifically allow SOM to use your devices. The following steps outline how to do this in MacOS Catalina:
- Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy.
- Click on the lock button at the bottom left and enter your login to allow changes.
- Scroll down on the left column and select Screen Recording, then check the box next to Screencast-O-Matic v2.0.
- Select Accessibility from the left column, and check the box next to Screencast-O-Matic v2.0.
- Select Microphone from the left column, and check the box next to Screencast-O-Matic v2.0.
- Scroll up and select Camera from the left column, and check the box next to Screencast-O-Matic v2.0.
Recording audio in windows can be done by enabling that setting in the SOM recorder.
Record and Edit a Screencast
You are now ready to GET STARTED RECORDING a screencast.