Respondus Test Editor is a tool for creating and managing exams that can be printed to paper or published directly to Blackboard.
Download and Install Respondus Test Editor (Windows Users Only)
Respondus Test Editor can be downloaded from the UVM Software site. While you are on the software page – using AppsAnywhere, in the Respondus section, you’ll find the details needed for installing the software, including the registration “password.” You want to look for the “Respondus Test Generator”. Once you download the app, you’ll need to enter this information into the Respondus Test Editor after installing it.
Overview of Respondus Test Editor
There are a number of features and tasks that you can accomplish with the Test Editor. For a brief overview of how to use it, see the Instructor Quick Start guide. Note: The steps outlined in their guide will not work exactly as written when connecting to UVM Blackboard (see the section of this article called “Connect to Blackboard and Retrieve (Export) Tests/Questions” for better instructions).
For more detailed information, see the Respondus 4.0 User Guide for Blackboard Learn.
If you’re using the Respondus Test Editor to convert tests and import them into Blackboard, see this PDF.
Connect to Blackboard and Retrieve (Export) Tests/Questions
- Open Respondus Test Editor. Go to Retrieval+Reports. Click Retrieve Questions.
- Verify that the Blackboard Server is set to “bb.uvm.edu”. Then, click Next.
- A new pop-up window will appear prompting you to login to Blackboard. Click Ok.
- Once the Blackboard login page appears, enter your UVM NetID and password.
- After successfully logging in, click Close After Login in the upper right hand corner. Do not X out of the window; you must use the Close After Login link.
- The Retrieve Questions Wizard will appear. Enter the course and exam you wish to retrieve. Also, be sure to enter a file name. After filling out these fields, click Next.
- The Wizard will verify the retrieval. After the dialog boxes tells you Completed successfully, click Finish.
- After retrieving, go on to the next set of instructions in this article to save or print the test/questions.
Save or Print a Retrieved (Exported) Blackboard Test
- Go to Preview+Publish. Select Print Options.
- Under Print Options, you will notice several fields that you can fill out to customize your exam. The format by default is Exam. Click into Settings next to the format type to further customize Question Contents and other options.
- After filling out the desired settings, you can either print or save your Blackboard test to a file. Be sure to make note of the location you’re saving it to and if you’re on a virtual machine, save it to your OneDrive cloud storage.