Respondus is a tool for creating and managing exams that can be printed to paper or published directly to Blackboard.
Downloading and Installing Respondus
UVM has a site license for this product – so it can be downloaded from the UVM Software site. While you are on the software page – using AppsAnywhere, in the Respondus section, you’ll find the details needed for installing the software, including the registration “password.” You want to look for the “Respondus Test Generator”. Once you download the app, you’ll need to enter this information into the Respondus Test Generator after installing it.
There are a number of features and tasks that you can accomplish with Respondus. For a brief overview of how to use Respondus, see the Instructor Quick Start guide. Note: The steps outlined in their guide will not work exactly as written when syncing with UVM Blackboard. There are two workarounds that allow you to publish and sync your assessments (see below Publishing to Blackboard at UVM).
Learn how to format questions in your Word document so that they work with Respondus:see this PDF.
Publishing to Blackboard at UVM
Exporting and Importing
Assessments can be manually published by exporting a file and then uploading it to Bb in your browser:
- In Respondus, go Preview & Publish > Publish to Blackboard > Publish Wizard > Save pool to local file for manual upload > Test with points.
- After saving the local file, log into Bb in your web browser, such as Chrome or Firefox.
- In your course, go to Control Panel > Course Tools > Tests, Surveys, and Pools > Tests or Surveys
- Click on Import Test, and follow the prompts to complete the import.
Connecting Respondus to Blackboard at UVM
This process differs from the Respondus documentation, primarily in that you need to log into Bb with Internet Explorer before connecting Respondus:
- Open Respondus and update it to the latest version by going to Help > Check for updates.
- Open Internet Explorer and log into Blackboard.
- Leaving IE open in the background, return to Respondus.
- If editing an existing assessment, Click on Preview & Publish > Publish to Blackboard. If retrieving an assessment, click retrieval and reports.
- Click Publish Wizard
- From the Blackboard Server dropdown, select Add New Server.
- Choose Yes, check for preconfigured server setting.
- Enter an appropriate name for the connection, such as UVM Bb (New)
- Click the Next button to run the connection test.
- Click on the Login w/ UVM NetID link.
- Enter your login information only on this (the UVM WebAuth) screen.
- Once you are logged in, click on the Close after Login button on the upper right.