What is Delegated Grading?
You can assign specific users in your course to grade particular sets of student assignment submissions. The users who help you grade are called delegated graders and they provide provisional grades. Delegated graders follow the same grading steps that you do. However, the group of assignment attempts that they see are based on the options you choose.
Why might I use Delegated Grading?
For large classes, you can divide up the grading tasks among teaching assistants and other graders. For a merged course, you can assign each grader a class section. You can also use this tool to assign blind graders, who can’t see each others’ ratings, to the same set of submissions. This would provide you with more than one critique of the same sample of work.
How do I enable Delegated Grading?
- When creating or editing an assignment, click the Grading Options link in the Grading section, then check the box next to “Use Delegated Grading.”
- Use the menu next to each grader’s name (A) to assign submissions to grade:
- All Submissions
- Random Set: Grade a random set of the selected number of students. If you assign multiple graders to grade a random set, students are distributed evenly before any student is included in multiple random sets.
- Groups: Grade all students who are part of the selected course groups.
- All instructors in a course can see what other graders are assigned. If you want other roles to also view scores, feedback, and notes added by others, select the check box (B) in the View Settings column.
- In the Reconcile Grades column (C), view who can determine the final grade and feedback for each student. All instructors can reconcile grades.
- To help with the accuracy and consistency of grading, ask all delegated graders to use a rubric when they provide grades.
I turned off Delegated Grading; How do I recover the grades?
If you need to restore grades and feedback from a column which has had delegated grading turned off, you will have to copy and paste this information from the Grade History area. You can see the Grade History for an attempt by clicking on the chevron next to the cell in the Grade Center, then choosing View Attempt. Once there, Click on the Grade History column to see the previously entered grade and feedback.