A Wiki is a mini-web site you and your students can build within your course. You can think of it as a series of interconnected web pages. Each member of the course, or group, can create, delete, and edit pages in the wiki as well as create links between the pages.
A Wiki can be set up to be edited by the whole class or by individual groups. It can be a collaborative project tool or a place for individual.
You can create multiple wikis with a course for different purposes. For example, you might wish to have individual wikis for each student to create a multimedia project or write a paper, group wikis for student groups to create wiki projects, and wikis that are built by the entire class. Blackboard wikis can only be viewed by members of the course.
How to set up a Wiki
In Blackboard a Wiki is a container for pages that anyone in the class can edit. You can have one Wiki that focuses on one theme where there may be several pages. You can have another Wiki that may have only one page for a completely different purpose. You can have multiple Wikis and within each Wiki you can have single or multiple pages.
- Go to a content page (such as Course Materials) and make sure Edit Mode is ON
- Click the “Tools” button at the top of the page and choose “Wikis”
- On this page, click the “Create New Wiki” button, below
- Fill out the Wiki title and click “Submit” (optionally you can hide the wiki or set date restrictions)
- On the next page, make sure your newly create wiki is now highlighted in the box, and click “Next”
- On the next page, you can just click Submit, or you can change the link name if you desire.
The wiki link will now show on your Content Area page (such as Course Materials).
- Next, click on the link to the Wiki you just made
- This is where you begin to create pages within your wiki. This will be your first (and only, if you desire) page. You can give it a name and add your content to the text box.
Note that sometimes you may wish students to go in and create their own pages or you may wish to set up a single page for signing-up for something, or for a glossary.
- Click Submit to save that page
- You will now see that you have a right-side table of contents. You may only have one page in this Wiki, or you may create more pages for this Wiki, or you may even have students create more pages in this Wiki.