This guide outlines the basic setup required to use Microsoft Teams to attend remote lectures. For additional information, please see our guide on using Microsoft Teams.
The steps below focus on installing and signing into MS Teams, joining a class team using a Team Code, and attending lecture meetings for that class team.
Download and Install Microsoft Teams
If you do not already have Microsoft Teams installed on your device, please see our Installation and Sign-In instructions.
Joining a Class Team with a Team Code
You can join a Class Team using a direct link or a Team Code provided by your instructor or TA. We recommend that instructors use Team Codes, and share them through Blackboard. However, your instructor or TA may have provided the team code via email or through some other means.
A Team Code is 7 characters long, all lower case letters and numbers. For example: aa1b2cc
- Locate and record the Team Code provided by your instructor or TA.
- Open the Microsoft Teams application, select the “Teams” tab from the sidebar, then select the “Join or create team” button in the upper-right corner. If you do not see this button – proceed to step 3.
- Type or paste your Team Code into the dialog box, then click Join team.
- You should be brought directly to your newly added team, but you can also click Teams on the sidebar to view your new team.
Attending a Teams Meeting Lecture
- A few minutes before your lecture is scheduled to start, open the Teams application on your computer and navigate to your class team by clicking the “Teams” tab from the sidebar and selecting your class team.
- The meeting will appear in “Posts” area of your class team. Select the More options menu of the meeting invite, then choose “View meeting details”.
- From the “meeting details” window, select the “Join” button in the upper-right corner.
- Before joining the meeting, you’ll have a chance to check your webcam and microphone settings. If you need to toggle on a webcam, we recommend also toggling on background blur (1). Students should also toggle-off their microphone (2). You can click the “Custom Settings” button (3) to view your connected devices. Use the drop-down menus to select your speaker and microphone (4), then select your webcam (6). You can then test your setup by clicking the “Make a test call” button (5).
- When you’re ready, click the button to enter the meeting.
- After joining the meeting, you’ll see an “action bar” which enables you to do the following: