files.uvm.edu service outage, Tuesday October 25th, 7:30pm
- By Helpline
Starting at 7:30 pm on Tuesday October 25th, ETS will take the file server "files.uvm.edu" offline for migration to new hardware. The service outage is expected tolast at least four hours. "Files.uvm.edu" hosts several widely-used file shares including:
- \\files\shared: Departmental shared directories, or "S:" drive, on Campus domain-joined computers.
- \\files\: Home directories used for "My Documents" folder redirection and "H:" drive mappings on Campus domain-joined computers.
- \\files\mca: Microsoft Campus Agreement licensed software distribution.
- \\files\software: Distribution point for various Windows software installers, including ApplicationXtender and LiteTouch boot media.
- \\files\sis: Developer files for the "Banner" student information system.
- \\files\r25: R25 event management software client installation share.
During this maintenance window we will be retiring our NetApp filer appliance, and replacing it with a Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 file server. While we do not expect to encounter any client compatibility problems with the new server, we are welcoming people to test the new server for potential problems at this time.
Please contact email@example.com for details on how to access the new server for test purposes only. We encourage especially people who are running scheduled tasks or scripts that work against "files" to test the new server before next Tuesday.
If this maintenance window will cause significant hardship for you or your department, please let us know as soon as possible.