University of Vermont

Human Resource Services and Operations

Benefits Sign-Up Session

New Hire Enrollment: Personal Preparation

Here's what new employees should do to prepare for their New Hire Enrollment session:

  • Review the benefits section of the HRS website to determine the benefits for which you are eligible. You will be expected to submit your completed benefits and payroll forms at the end of the New Hire Enrollment session. If you have a spouse or partner, we highly recommend that you take time to discuss your options prior to attending this session.
  • Be ready to provide a 10-digit PCP identification number for each of the primary care physicians that you and your dependents will use—if you plan to enroll in healthcare coverage through the University. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) requires each individual covered under the plan to select a primary care physician. You can find PCP identification numbers using BCBSVT's FIND A DOCTOR search apparatus.

If you already have a primary care physician:

  • Check with your physician to see if s/he is a participating provider in the Blue Cross and Blue Shield network.

If you DON'T have a primary care physician:

  • Use the Find a Doctor link on the BCBSVT website, or call BCBSVT at 888-222-7886 to request information (doctor's name, phone and PCP number) for primary care physicians who are taking new patients in your area.
  • Contact the physician you've selected to confirm that s/he will accept you as a new patient.

Tips for Using the BCBSVT Website to Find a Doctor If You Don't Have One

  • Select "Provider or Hospital Search"
  • Leave the "Name" fields blank
  • Under the "Type" dropdown, choose "Clinician"
  • Under "Role/Specialty" check the "PCP" box
  • Under "Network" select "BCBSVT Network Providers"
  • Select a "Distance" from the Zip Code you will use under "Search by Distance"
  • Enter an Address in the "Search by Distance" fields
  • Check the box beside "Accepting New Patients"
  • Use the Location/Gender/Language fields if they are helpful

Information to Bring with You to Your New Hire Enrollment Session

In order to complete required payroll and insurance forms, you will need to bring the following information with you to the session:

All employees should bring the following:

  • Social Security Number (if you are a foreign national, please contact Faculty and Staff Immigration Services)
  • Valid proof of employment eligibility (see the list of acceptable documents that is part of the instructions for the federal I-9 form)
  • UVM work address and your UVM supervisor's name
  • Names, Addresses, Social Security Numbers and Dates of Birth of beneficiaries for your Group Life Insurance and Retirement

You should also bring this information, if it is applicable to your situation:

  • Spouse/civil union partner's Social Security Number and Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number and Date of Birth for each dependent child
  • Proof of other creditable medical insurance coverage if you intend to waive UVM coverage
  • If you wish to waive the waiting period for long-term disability coverage, you will need to bring a document showing when your long-term disability group insurance coverage began and ended. (UVM long-term disability coverage is normally provided after one year of regular, full-time employment. You may qualify for immediate participation however, if you were insured within the three months prior to the beginning of your UVM employment under a group long-term disability policy that provided income benefits for at least five years, or you are a former UVM employee returning within one year of your departure.)
  • If you intend to enroll in UVM's 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, and believe that you are immediately eligible to receive UVM's contribution, bring the most recent copy of your existing account's statement. (There is typically a three-year waiting period for receiving the University's Retirement Savings Plan contribution, however the waiting period may be waived if you demonstrate that you have a vested interest in the retirement plan of your immediate past employer and that employer is a nonprofit or governmental employer.)

Last modified May 19 2015 10:53 AM