State of Vermont law dictates that any individual under the age of 18 is considered a minor and that in many circumstances is not capable of giving informed consent to their own medical care. In simple terms, this means that we need parent/guardian permission before we can treat a student until they turn 18. Once they are 18, permission is no longer needed. There are several important exceptions to this, as noted below.
- Minors of any age will be cared for in emergency situations which necessitate immediate treatment.
- Minors 12 years of age and older may give informed consent for treatment for sexually transmitted diseases, drug dependence, and alcohol abuse. If a minor requires hospitalization for treatment of any of these conditions, the parents must be notified of the hospitalization.
- Minors of any age may provide their own informed consent for the termination of pregnancy, or to receive medical treatment necessary to obtain contraceptive devices and medications.
- Minors of any age may provide their own informed consent for medical treatment related to rape, incest, or sexual abuse. Health care providers are required to report such incidents to the Department of Children and Families within 24 hours.
- Minors 14 years of age and older may voluntarily admit themselves to a hospital for mental health care if they provide informed consent in writing.
- Minors under the age of 14 years may voluntarily admit themselves to a hospital for mental health treatment if they provide their own written informed consent and a written application from a parent or guardian.
- Minors who are married or have ever been married; minors on active U.S military duty; and minors emancipated by court order may give informed consent to their own health care.
If you’re a parent or guardian and wish to give permission for us to treat your student, you may contact any of our offices and give permission over the phone. Alternatively, you can download and complete this form, then send it to us.
For more information, please review the CHWB Policy or contact us.