In September 2019, Vermont will become the 19th state to raise the age for sale of tobacco products to 21. It will also be illegal to possess tobacco products if you are under 21.
As part of our commitment to supporting the health of the entire campus community, the Center for Health and Wellbeing provides education and resources for those wanting to make a change in their nicotine and/or tobacco use.
- Smoking causes more than 480,000 deaths in the United States each year, including an estimated 42,000 deaths from exposure to secondhand smoke (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC).
- Tobacco-related health care and productivity costs in the United States are estimatedto be $289 billion (American Cancer Society).
- Secondhand smoke contains more than 7,000 chemicals, including hundreds that are toxic and about 70 that can cause cancer, and there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke (US Department of Health and Human Services).
- Cigarette butts, primarily from filtered cigarettes, are the most common source of litter on the planet, and these non -biodegradable plastic filters contain harmful chemicals and carcinogens (US Department of Health and Human Services).
- E-cigarette use among US high school students increased 78% between 2017 and 2018. (CDC)
- E-cigarettes contain nicotine, are highly addictive, can potentially cause serious lung damage and changes the to the developing brain. (CDC)
The University is committed to linking individuals with resources to help break the tobacco addiction.
Start here: 802 Quits —
Find VT-specific help and resources, including free gum/lozenges/patches and a Vermont Quit Partner at 802 Quits. This local service provides help online, in-person and by phone.
LINK TO 802 QUITS https://802quits.org/
BecomeAnEX is a free, digital quit-smoking plan and online community of thousands of smokers and ex-smokers developed by Truth Initiative in collaboration with Mayo Clinic. It has helped more than 800,000 people develop the skills and confidence to successfully quit. Research has shown that following the BecomeAnEX quit plan quadruples a tobacco user's chance of quitting.
This is Quitting is a first-of-its-kind free mobile program specifically designed to help teens and young adults quit vaping or smoking. https://www.thetruth.com/articles/hot-topic/quit-vaping
On- Campus Support
Student Health Services has a Behavioral Health Provider. Behavioral health appointments promote overall wellbeing and can help support mental health and address substance use to enable positive change.
Schedule a consultation with the Behavioral Health Provider by calling SHS at 656-3340 or scheduling online at https://mywellbeing.uvm.edu