Three board certified psychiatrists at CAPS provide psychiatric evaluations and ongoing medication management for UVM students. Psychiatric services are available at both CAPS offices on campus.

CAPS provide psychiatric evaluations for UVM students.  Our psychiatric providers (Psychiatrists and a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner) can meet with students for an evaluation to determine what treatment may be most beneficial. 

Treatments options include medication, individual and group therapy, other supports services on campus and community referrals for more specialized treatment.
Prior to scheduling a psychiatry intake appointment, CAPS provides a phone screening to gather general basic patient history, determine where a student is best served for their initial mental health evaluation and share information related to the fees associated with psychiatry services.

Students who are interested in medication to manage uncomplicated depression or anxiety disorders are often referred to their provider at Student Health Services to begin their treatment.  Students who present with a complicated psychiatry history, comorbid issues (including substance use disorders, eating disorders, mood disorders or psychotic disorders) or students who have been on multiple medications in the past, are often referred directly to a psychiatric provider.

 

Fees Associated with Psychiatry at CAPS

  • Unlike the counseling services at CAPS, psychiatry services are not covered by the UVM student health fee. Please take a few minutes to read and understand the fees associated with Psychiatric Services at UVM (PDF). Your insurance coverage determines your out of pocket expenses for these services.
  • If you have the UVM Student Health Insurance (UVM SHIP), your initial visit is covered at 100%, and all follow-up visits are covered at 80%. The remaining 20% is charged to your student account.
  • Students with other insurance coverage will have the charges associated with their visit applied directly to their UVM account. Statements are available online for students and their families to submit claims to their insurance companies if they have out-of-network benefits.
  • Appointments must be cancelled at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled appointment time.  Fees for missed appointments or appointments cancelled less than 24 hours in advanced are directly applied to the students UVM account.
  • Students who have difficulty accessing psychiatry resources due to barriers related to institutionalized oppressive structures or socially unjust conditions may be eligible for a fee waiver.  Students with fee waivers will still be subject to a no-show fee for missed or late cancelled appointments.

Our Combined Treatment Model

Medication alone is rarely adequate to address the complex psychological and social factors that face university students today. Research has repeatedly shown clinical outcomes are better when psychiatric medications are combined with psychotherapy. Some of the benefits of combining pharmacotherapy with psychotherapy over pharmacotherapy alone include:


• Enhanced emotional and psychological support during periods of increased stress.
• Greater awareness of how cognitive, emotional, life style, and interpersonal factors affect symptoms being targeted by pharmacotherapy.
• Development of skills that allow for a greater sense of agency in reaching and maintaining treatment goals.

CAPS has adopted a model of combined treatment in which all students seen in our Psychiatry Services are strongly encouraged to be concurrently in individual or group counseling with either a CAPS or community psychotherapist.

Students who have difficulty accessing psychiatry resources due to barriers related to institutionalized oppressive structures or socially unjust conditions may be eligible for a fee waiver.  Students with fee waivers will still be subject to a no-show fee for missed or late cancelled appointments.

Emergency Assistance

A mental health emergency is an emotional or behavioral crisis that warrants same-day attention by a mental health professional. This may include, but is not limited to, significant changes in behavior that are not characteristic of a person, the presence of disruptive symptoms that interfere with the responsibilities of daily living, direct or indirect expressions of the intent to harm self or others, or the experience of a trauma.

If you or someone you know needs immediate help, CONTACT COUNSELING AND PSYCHIATRY SERVICES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE: 656-3340.