UVM's Admission Process
Before you get started using Admit, it’s important to have an understanding of UVM's admission process.
- Determine application deadlines and requirements for admission.
- Manage admission process at the department level.
- Review admission material via Admit system.
- Make admission recommendation to the Graduate College.
Graduate Admissions: Administers university admission policies for graduate study.
- Manages on-line application and supporting admission systems.
- Receive applications and supporting documents.
- Verifies bachelor’s degree conferral and assesses International degrees for bachelor’s degree equivalency.
- Verifies receipt of test scores from testing agencies like ETS.
- Determines English proficiency.
- Determines conditions of admission.
- Manages and processes applications for non-matriculated programs and graduate reinstatement.
- Make admission decisions and communicate decisions to applicants. NOTE: All offers of admission are conditional until Graduate Admissions has verified that the student meets University requirements for graduate study (academic record, visa request (if applicable), English proficiency and receipt of official test scores.
- Record admission decisions in Banner.
- Track admitted student decisions; After the formal acceptance Graduate College receives official transcript(s) for all postsecondary institutions attended.
- Verify official transcripts for possible discrepancies (e.g., altered grades, dates of attendance, etc) prior to extending offer of admission.
Refer to the Graduate Admissions Workflow chart for an overview of the admission process from applicant to matriculation.
Office of the University Registrar:
- Authorizes enrollment (matriculation).
Office of International Education:
- Receives I-20/DS-2019 forms from incoming international students.
Student Financial Services:
- Review financial need of graduate applicants for federal financial assistance
Admit User Types
GC Staff: Graduate College Admissions Staff who have access to manage pools, create pools, move applications, edit columns, edit applications, create and edit tags, download PDF copy of applications and assign/edit administrative permissions to other users. Decision and Communication permissions are also held by Graduate Admission staff.
Program Chair: The program's chairperson so as to provide a back up to the program director for recommendations of applications
Program Faculty Director/Coordinator: Assigns a program official recommendation on the status of the application.
Program Faculty Reviewers: Faculty evaluators of the applications received
Program Staff Admissions Specialists: Program staff people who support the administration of the application process
CDE Staff: Continuing and Distance Education Staff administrators who are assisting CDE programs in their recruitment
UVM EAS: UVM's programmers who help to set up the behind the scenes features as it connects with Banner.
New Users: All new users to the Admit system must submit their First and Last Names, Role in the Graduate Admission process at the Department level, Emails Address, and UVMNetid to firstname.lastname@example.org.