Every UVM department must complete the annual Space Inventory to update information on:
- Space assignment, room type, and room occupants
- Functional activities and funding sources of rooms
The FY22 space inventory begins on March 1, 2022 with training sessions available during March, April and May. Since much of the inventory work requires on-campus verification, it is important that each employee responsible for performing the work follows the current COVID policies.
Below are some of the highlights for FY22 inventory that will be discussed during the training sessions:
- The FY22 deadline for ALL space inventories to be completed is June 13, 2022 in order to load all space/occupancy data from FAMIS into the new integrated workplace management system, PlanOn (FAMIS replacement) in time for July 1, 2022. To assist in this effort the inventory will open six weeks earlier than in previous fiscal years.
- Data collected from this year’s inventory will be used to support the new Facilities and Administration rates negotiation with the federal government. It is critical to complete the space survey and movable equipment inventory on time.
- COVID-19 has drastically changed how space has been used since March 2020. However, prevailing guidance recommendations are to continue to treat space, for inventory purposes, as if COVID-19 had not happened. Details regarding this will be presented in the upcoming training sessions.
- REMINDER FOR FY22: Space Function Code 11, Department Research (291): All Department Research activity on chartstrings using function code 291 MUST be coded as Space Function Code 11.
- The FY22 movable equipment inventory was completed in December 2021 with the rollout of the RFID tagging process. The equipment inventory will continue on a rolling basis and is no longer tied to the space inventory process. If there is any movable equipment in any room it will still be listed in FAMIS. Please do not make changes to the movable equipment in FAMIS at all. If there are movable equipment inconsistencies, please notify Financial and Cost Accounting while submitting your space inventory.
To complete the inventory, follow these four steps:
- Attend training: Watch training videos and read user guides (see secondary menu for links). New departmental personnel assigned to conduct the inventory are required to obtain training prior to using the FAMIS Self-Service inventory system. Staff who have not attended training in the last 3 years are strongly encouraged to attend a session as well.
- Get organized: Prior to starting the inventory process, use the checklist in the User Guide (PDF) to obtain and organize key reference information. This will serve you well in determining what room information requires updating.
- Conduct the inventory: See the user guide (PDF) for step-by-step instructions.
- Certify inventory results: For the inventory to be considered complete, the following documentation is required to be emailed to Financial and Cost Accounting, and all issues resolved from the subsequent quality assurance review:
- Completed and signed Certification Form (PDF)
- Space Functional Exception Report (with no exceptions)
User Guides, FY22 Presentation (PDF), FAQs and video tutorials for FAMIS navigation are available on the secondary menu of this page.
Data collected through this inventory are key factors for assessing facilities and space costs for the University’s Incentive-based Budgeting (IBB) model, and providing important information for the University’s F&A (indirect costs), income/expense rates, program costing, and space management and planning.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the space inventory and/or training.