Every UVM department must complete the annual Space and Movable Equipment Inventory by June 30 to update information on:
- Space assignment, room type, and room occupants
- Functional activities and funding sources of rooms
- Movable equipment location and usage
These data are key factors for assessing facilities and space costs for the University’s Incentive-based Budgeting (IBB) model and providing important information for the University’s F&A (indirect costs), income/expense rates, program costing, Space Management and Planning, and assessment and inventory of movable equipment over $5000.
Follow these four steps:
- Attend training: New departmental personnel assigned to conduct the inventory are required to obtain training prior to using the FAMIS Self-Service inventory system. Staff who have not attended training in the last 3 years are strongly encouraged to attend a session as well.
- Get organized: Prior to starting the inventory process, use the checklist (PDF) to obtain and organize key reference information. This will serve you well in determining what room information requires updating.
- Conduct the inventory: See the user guide (PDF) for step-by-step instructions.
- Certify inventory results: For the inventory to be considered complete, the following documentation is required to be emailed to Cost Accounting Services, and all issues resolved from CAS's subsequent quality assurance review:
- Completed and signed Certification Form (PDF)
- Space Functional Exception Report (with no exceptions)
- Movable Equipment Inventory results in an Excel spreadsheet with applicable reconciliation commentary (applicable to only departments who have movable equipment)