Updates & Announcements
Contract management software
Purchasing Services, Enterprise Technology Services, and, the Office of the General Counsel are reviewing proposals for a new IT contract management software. This software will replace entering purchasing contracts for review in the Footprints system. Vendor demonstrations will be scheduled with these three departments first, and then followed up with a broader campus audience. We plan to share more information by late spring.
There are a number of significant contracts that will be going out for formal requests for proposals (RFP) process this spring and summer.
- Computers, current, and renewals, with Dell and Apple
- Copiers, currently with Symquest
- Charter buses, currently with First Student, Mountain Transit, and Premier
- Scientific lab supplies, currently with Fisher Scientific
Business meal policy
The Disbursement Center is looking for your input on whether the University’s Business Meal, Hospitality, and Amenity Policy (PDF) should include a cap on business meal reimbursement. Thank you.
Employee vs. Independent Contractor process
Please review the following important guidelines when submitting an employee vs. Independent contractor form:
- Do not alter the form or attach an addendum
- Answer questions truthfully
- The determination process must be completed/approved prior to the service being performed. Otherwise, employees risk running into labor law issues.
- Be sure to enter the individual service provider's name first and then their DBA (if applicable)
- As a rule, speakers hired for 3 or more calendar days per year are considered employees. Please contact taxadmin if you have extenuating circumstances in this regard.
- Please note that the form now includes options for freelance writers, photographers and referees
- Use only your @uvm.edu account when submitting the electronic form to ensure that you receive the final determination
- Contact taxadmin if you have any bulk determinations (over 10) to help streamline the process
The Tax Office is more than happy to assist you with any questions or concerns
Payroll & Tax Services and Risk Management & Safety remind hiring manager to please consider the tax and risk implications when hiring employees who live out of state. There is a new electronic form being developed now which will alleviate some of these issues. Stay tuned for more information.
Professional Development Funds
When distributing professional development funds please make it clear (on the award document, etc.) that whatever is procured with these funds is the property of the University, not of the individual employee. Actual monetary "gifts" are reflected in the individual's paycheck and taxed appropriately. Purchases made with all funds, regardless of source, and including professional development funds, must comply with University policy. For this reason, purchases using University tools and resources are Vermont sales tax exempt.
Payment acknowledgement forms
It is imperative that payment acknowledgement forms are processed as timely as possible. The Disbursement Center received 1,800 payment acknowledgement forms on 12/2/19, some of which were signed as early as 10/2/19. This required creating 400 new vendors who needed to receive 1099 Misc. forms, and six Disbursement Center employees working overtime during the holiday break. Thank you in advance for working with us on this process. Contact the Disbursement Center if you have questions.
Please be aware that paying individuals as workers in a foreign country may put the University at risk if perceived to be creating a presence in that country, and require UVM to adhere to that country's tax laws. Work with the Tax office to review employment needs in a foreign country. The Disbursement Center may request a copy of the budget when they receive large cash advance requests for international travel.
Learn how to sign up for direct deposit travel expense reimbursement (PDF) today!
Please remember to use the University's contracted pricing agreements (PDF) with either Hertz, Avis, or Enterprise. This ensures you are receiving the lowest pricing, which includes insurance. Reimbursements for higher priced rentals are not allowed. A UVM employee will be reimbursed for the contracted rate in locations where the contracts are available. Contact Purchasing Services.
We strongly encourage employees to sign up to receive their W2s electronically through PeopleSoft. Each year hundreds of W2s are lost via USPS and not returned to UVM. To ensure the safety of your private information please consent to receive your W2 electronically. Thank you.
Disbursement Center address
To avoid potential loss of mail, or delays in processing, please address mail to the Disburement Center's (no longer Procurement Services) current address, 23 Mansfield Avenue. Thank you.
From Campus Partners
An overview of the campuswide information technology strategic plan (PDF), including governance structure, guiding principles, decision-making guidance, and collaboration is available online.