UVM Maple Webinar Recordings
Click this link to view the webinar recordings and slide presentations from recent events.
New in June 2022! Northeast U.S. Maple Economic Report
This research report provides a full overview of a 2019 survey completed by maple producers. The report includes management practices, technology adoption, economic viability and key factors that describe different profiles of maple enterprises in operation in the region.
Maple Start-Up Investment Profiles
This series of guides provide estimated start-up investments levels for sap-only and bulk syrup enterprises. Select a guide from the list below that includes 3,000 - 15,000 tap sap-only enterprises and bulk syrup enterprise profiles ranging from 5,000 - 20,000 taps.
- 5,000 Tap Maple Syrup Start-Up
- 10,000 Tap Maple Syrup Start-Up
- 10,000 Tap Multi-Site Maple Syrup Start-Up
- 20,000 Tap Multi-Site Maple Syrup Start-Up
- 3,000 Tap Sap Start-Up
- 5,000 Tap Sap Start-Up
- 7,000 Tap Sap Start-Up
- 10,000 Tap Sap Start-Up
- 15,000 Tap Sap Start-Up
Business Planning Resources
- Maple Market Insights: The Maple Data Dashboard - A summary of key results from maple market demand research and access to the interactive research dashboard.
- Maple Business Digital Marketing Assessment - A brief worksheet to begin mapping out the phases of a digital marketing plan for your operation.
- One-Page Maple Business Plan - A simple worksheet for collecting the basic components of your business plan.
- Assessment Checklist for a Maple Sap Business- An excel template with a rating scale to consider sixteen features of a potential sap business and suagrbush.
- Maple SWOT Analysis - A stategic planning worksheet to consider the business strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- Maple Product Features - A market planning worksheet to identify key product features and promotional communications.
- New! Maple Sap Supply Agreement- This education template provides the structure for a formal binding contract between a sap supplier and a sap buyer.
- Maple Sap Supply Agreement: Additional Clauses- This worksheet explores additional considerations for a sap purchase and sale agreement and offers additonal clauses to supplement the standard UVM "Maple Sap Supply Agreement" listed above.
- Operating Agreement Template- This educational template provides the structure for a formal Limited Liability Company (LLC) operating agreement.
- Legal Entity Stuctures for Maple Producers- This guide includes establishment and maintenance of partnerships, limited liability companies and other joint ventures.
- Joint Venture Agreement- This educational template includes the major items needed to formalize a joint venture agreement.
- Maple Rental Rates Fact Sheet — An overview describing aspects of maple rental agreements and listing important considerations.
- Maple Rental Rates: Percent of Gross Revenue — Charts to establish a per tap rental rate based on both the market price for syrup and sap yield.
- Maple Lease Checklist — This educational resource includes a number of key questions for the parties of a lease to discuss in order to develop an appropriate document for their situation.
- 2020 Sugarbush Lease Guide and 2020 Sugarhouse Lease Guide — Resources designed for maple syrup producers, maple sap producers and forest land owners to consider, discuss and formalize lease agreements.
- Entity Set-Up Questionnaire for Maple Businesses — This questionnaire documents key features of a business to guide legal professionals and owners to an appropriate entity selection.
Maple Benchmark Reports
- 2020 Northeast Maple Business Benchmark, FBRR 057- Cost of production analysis for 13 maple syrup producers from 6,500 - 65,000 taps.
- 2019 Northeast Maple Business Benchmark, FBRR 043 - Cost of production analysis for 11 maple syrup and sap producers ranging from 6,500 - 60,000 taps.
- 2017 Maple Business Benchmark, FBRR029 — Cost of production analysis for 12 maple syrup producers ranging from 2,500 – 18,000 taps in 2017.
- 2016 Maple Business Benchmark, FBRR026 — Cost of production analysis for 11 maple syrup producers ranging from 2,500 – 25,000 taps in 2016.
- 2015 Maple Business Benchmark, FBRR024 — Cost of production analysis for 14 maple syrup producers ranging from 2,500 – 25,000 taps in 2015.
- 2014 Maple Business Benchmark FBRR015 — Cost of production and financial analysis for 2,500 – 50,000 + tap maple operations in 2014.
- 2013 Maple Business Benchmark, FBRR012-12/14 — Cost of production and financial analysis for 2,500 – 20,000 tap maple operations.
Forest Tax Programs
- Vermont's Current Use Tax Program for Maple - This guide provides an overview of Vermont tax abatement programs for forest landowners and maple producers.
- Maine's Forest Taxation Program for Maple - This guide provides an overview of Maine tax abatement programs for forest landowners and maple producers.
- New York's Current Use Tax Program for Maple - This guide provides an overview of New York tax abatement programs for forest landowners and maple producers.
QR Quick Find Sheets
Print these sheets and share with your stakeholders. Each sheet has several QR codes to easily access the right resource for you.