Fall 2022 Webinar Series
UVM presents a maple business and markets webinar series on Wednesday evenings from 7pm- 8pm (Eastern Time Zone) this fall. Click the registration links in green below to sign up. Registration for each event will close 48 hours prior to the start of the event. There is no cost to register. 2022 Webinar Information Sheet
- Wednesday August 31: Business Succession and Transfer Planning. (Registration Closed)
- Wednesday September 7: Maple Syrup Quality in the Retail Marketplace. (Registration Closed)
- Wednesday September 14: National Maple Market Development and Policy. (Registration Closed)
- Wednesday September 21: Maple Financial Planning and Profitability. (Registration Closed)
- Wednesday October 5: Sap Business Models. (Registration Closed)
Fall 2022 Maple Business Short Courses
UVM offers multi-session short courses for a more in-depth educational experience. These online courses include live weekly sessions over four weeks, activities and access to additonal resources. See the dates below for each course. There is no cost to register but participants are expected to commit to the full four week program. This program is funded by the USDA Agricultural Marketing Service. Fall 2022 Short Course Information Sheet
Business Succession and Transfer Planning (September 29th - Ocotober 20th): Instructor: Mark Cannella. Class dates are Thursdays at 7 pm-8:30 pm EST, September 29th, October 6th, October 13th, October 20th. (Registration Closed)This course is designed for both current maple business owners considering an exit and prospective owners or family members who will consider taking over an existing business. Sessions will focus on planning strategies that enable existing owners to phase-out of management and initiate eventual property ownership changes. By the final week all class participants will have had an overview of the issues related to business succession and they will assess their readiness to initiate their own next planning steps. Registration ends September 23rd at 5pm.
Structuring Success: Managing & Using Business Information (October 11th - November 1st): Instuctor: Chris Lindgren. Class dates are Tuesdays at 6:30 pm- 8:00 pm EST, October 11th, October 18th, October 25th, November 1st). Register Here for the "Structuring Success Short Course"This course will introduce basic concepts and best practices for managing business records, production information, and financial data. We will cover the requirements and records for establishing and operating a business. This includes basic bookkeeping, tax and compliance preparation alongside strategies for storing, analyzing, and using data to drive business performance. Registration ends October 5th at 5pm.
2021 Webinar Archive
UVM maple specialists hosted a series of online webinars focused maple production, forestry practices and business management. Slides and recordings are posted below.
- Total Yields from Red Maple (July 21st), "Red Maple as Crop Trees" (article)
- Maple Start-Up Profiles and Financial Benchmarks (July 28th), video recording, slides
- Best Practices for Birch Syrup Flavor (August 11th), "Sustainable Birch Tapping" (article) , "Birch Sap and Syrup Trials" (article)
- Sugarbush Inventory Methods (August 25th), video recording, slides
- Sap-Only Enterprises (September 15th), video recording, slides
- Binding Contracts and Legal Agreements (September 29th), video recording, slides
- Maple Forests and Carbon (October 13th), video recording, slides
- Northeast Forest Land Taxes and Programs (October 27th), video recording, slides
2020 Webinar Archive:
UVM maple specialists hosted a series of online webinars focused on business decision making and forestry practices. Slides and recorded sessions are posted below.
- Sugarbush Rental Rates Wednesday, August 5th; 7:00pm EST (slides; video)
- Tapping Practices to Optimize Yield and Sustainability Wednesday, August 19th; 7:00pm EST (video)
- Sugarbush Leases and the Sugarhouse Lease Wednesday, September 2nd; 7:00pm EST (slides; video)
- Sap Yield and Tapping Stained Wood Wednesday, September 16th; 7:00pm EST (slides; video)
- Fall Tapping and Tap Hole Longevity Wednesday, September 30th; 7:00pm EST (video)
- Forestry and Maple Panel Discussion Wednesday, October 14th; 7:00pm EST (video)
- Tubing Systems and Forest Management Wednesday, October 28th; 7:00pm EST
- Digital Entrepreneurship and Online Sales Wednesday, November 4th; 7:00pm EST (slides; video)
- Sap-Only Enterprises Wednesday, November 11th; 7:00pm EST (slides; video)
- Appraisal and Valuation of a Sugarbush Wednesday, December 9th; 7:00pm EST (slides; video)