Ag and Farm Business Management
UVM Extension is committed to supporting Vermont farmers and preserving this valuable part of Vermont's history. A wide range of educational programs and resources are offered from farm finances and tax reporting to specific agricultural needs of our farmers.
The following provides information on general farm-related business needs. Find further information that pertains to specific sector business practices in that section (ie: dairy business management)
Find instruction on ...
- Vermont Health Connect Agricultural Producer Resource Packet (PDF) - Information on health insurance requirements and options for Vermont farmers as employers under the new state and federal regulations.
Agricultural labor management
- Employee recruitment, compensation, personnel, training, safety and more [Extension partner site]
- UC Berkeley ag labor management website
UVM participates in eXtension: A national organization creating rich education for local Extension programs.
Family farm succession
- AgTransitions Program of the University of Minnesota's Center for Farm Financial Management
- Estate Planning and Transferring the Farm (short publications produced by University of Minnesota Extension)
- Farm Family Finances
- Farm Family Succession and Transfer Resources [Extension partner site]
- "Transferring the Farm" video series [Extension partner site]
- Transferring the Farm Virtual Workshop [Extension partner site]
- Farm Transfer Network of New England
Services for farmers with disabilities
- AgrAbility Project offers education and technical assistance to farmers, farm workers and their families with disabilities on safe and practical ways to continue in their rural lifestyle.
Agricultural risk management
- Ag risk management blog [Extension partner site]
Insurance and tax information
- "Livestock Gross Margin Insurance for Dairy" article (PDF) explains new crop insurance program that allows dairy farmers to insure their margin between milk price and grain costs. The program uses futures market prices for dairy, corn, and soybean meal as the "expected prices" a farmer would insure against their margin being less than expected from the futures market. Note: August 2008
- IRS website's information for agriculture/farmers The "Farmer's Tax Guide" is easy to find here, along with a number of articles concerning farmers and income taxes.
- Rural Tax Education Rural tax related resources, hosted by our friends at the Utah State University Cooperative Extension
- Use Value Appraisal Application Form for Agricultural, Forest, Conservation Land and Farm Buildings (PDF) The Use Value Appraisal (Current Use) law allows the valuation and taxation of farm and forest land based on its remaining in agricultural or forest use instead of its value in the market place
- Vt. Agricultural Sales Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF)
- Year End Tax Planning (PDF) Farm Management Team Q&A Factsheet #1. Note: 1 page, June 2009
Last modified March 06 2014 02:52 PM