We'll get through this. But we know you have questions. We'll be doing our best to keep you informed and updating this page as quickly as information becomes available. And remember, there's a call center —staffed 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily — to answer questions that aren't answered below: (802) 656-HELP.

Academics and Research

When will courses move to remote instruction and for how long?

Remote instruction will begin for undergraduate classes only on Wednesday, March 18, and will continue through the remainder of the Spring semester. Refer to the 3/23/20 message from President Suresh Garimella for context and details regarding this decision.

How should I take or teach my courses remotely?

We are committed to providing faculty and students with the support necessary to accomplish the transition to remote instruction. Please recognize that faculty and students alike may struggle with this transition, and we ask that all respond to this situation with understanding and flexibility.

How will I be graded during this time of remote instruction?

Under the guidance of Provost Patricia Prelock, the university’s chief academic officer, the university is thinking creatively and effectively about how to ensure your learning success and fairly evaluate you during this period of remote instruction. We have instituted the following (outlined in the 3/23 memo from the Provost):

  • Faculty have been given suggestions for alternatives to high-stakes exams where appropriate and feasible, such as more frequent, shorter quizzes; open-book take-home exams; and alternative assignments that require the application of knowledge across the semester. Faculty are making adjustments, recognizing that these options may not be a fit in all classes.
  • Faculty have been asked to consider adjusting the weighting of assignments or evaluation measures prior to remote instruction, or adjusting their scale for assignments and tests given since remote instruction began.
  • For some students with health or internet connectivity challenges, faculty have been encouraged to grant an incomplete so these students can complete their work at a later date.

What academic support is available to students at this time?

The Center for Academic Success is here to support your online learning. Explore their comprehensive guide of student resources for remote instruction, which features tools and tips for academic success during this time.

UVM Bored also offers up these additional tips for adjusting to remote instruction.

What instructional support is available to faculty during this time?

What if I'm an undergraduate involved in research?

Students involved in Honors College or honors-level research activities and thesis work should contact their faculty mentor or research supervisor to discuss the status of their projects. Also see the following two questions in this FAQ section: “How does the current environment affect my Honors College thesis research, completion, and defense?” and “How does the current environment affect other undergraduate honors thesis research?”

Students who may be conducting research in on-campus facilities are expected to work with their PI or research advisors to develop a plan to work on research-related activities remotely. Exceptions can be made if your participation is critical for essential functions of the lab as defined by your advisor, and both your role and the essential research function of the laboratory are approved by your advisor’s dean. The plans must be completed and student researchers working remotely no later than March 30. Students who are paid for their research assistance are considered student workers, please work with your research advisor to determine whether your research-related activities can be continued remotely. Any student in a high-risk category (e.g., underlying health condition, over 60, pregnant, immune-compromised) should immediately discontinue on-campus work and transition to remote instruction or research activity.

All work in laboratories designated as essential must follow guidelines to protect the health of you and those around you. Maintain social distancing in time and space, wash your hands often with soap, do not touch your face, cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing, and disinfect shared equipment and surfaces before and after use. 

In addition to contacting your research faculty supervisor for support, you can also reach out to the Office of Fellowships, Opportunities, and Undergraduate Research at four@uvm.edu or 802-656-5532.

(Updated: 3/25/20)

How does the current environment affect my Honors College thesis research, completion, and defense?

Recognizing that many students are faced with the interruption of their research and lack of access to materials, data, and research subjects, we have empowered faculty to work with students to find a mutually agreeable and reasonable conclusion to their work. For some students, this may still mean submitting the thesis as planned, as they may be well advanced in their work. However, for many students, "satisfactory" completion may mean writing up preliminary results, submitting a thesis based on incomplete data or secondary sources, emphasizing a literature review instead of emphasizing "original" research, or submitting a thesis in a different format.

Faculty will make plans for Honors College students to defend their thesis remotely via video conference or other means. The ritual of a defense and the chance to talk with committee members about their work having gained mastery of a given subject is an essential part of the thesis experience.

(Updated: 3/25/20)

How does the current environment affect other undergraduate honors thesis research?

Recognizing that many students are faced with the interruption of their research and lack of access to materials, data, and research subjects, we have empowered faculty to work with students to find a mutually agreeable and reasonable conclusion to their work. Thesis supervisors should make necessary accommodations and provide alternatives for students to complete thesis work without requiring students to return to campus. The final thesis report and defense can be based on work completed to date; thesis supervisors should make arrangements for remote thesis draft discussions and thesis defense; and units are encouraged to review their timelines and deadlines for honors work to allow as much flexibility as possible.

(Updated: 3/25/20)

What if I'm a student seeking an accommodation?

SAS will continue to support students remotely. Please reach out to SAS if you have any questions or concerns regarding your accommodations or accommodation implementation in the new remote instruction model. This change in format will be new for many students, but the university remains committed to providing a learning environment which supports all students. For your sake and that of the community, if you are sick, please contact us via email access@uvm.edu or phone (802) 656-7753.

(Updated: 3/25/20)

What if I'm student engaged in a practicum?

For purposes of this guidance, a practicum is defined as a required component of the curriculum in a professional program leading to licensure. Under the direction of the dean and the accrediting body governing the program, in-person practicum experiences may continue during the period of remote instruction.

What about service-learning courses?

Regardless of the location of the service learning course site, service learning courses should transition to remote delivery.

Will I continue my internship for academic credit?

Students currently participating in internships, regardless of location, should contact their internship sites and request remote internship assignments. If it is not possible to continue the internship remotely, the experiential component of the internship should conclude. The remaining academic component of the internship should continue via remote delivery, and may be added to if the experiential component ends early. If necessary, the portion of the internship grade related to the experiential component can be based on the work completed in the first half of the semester.

Decisions regarding non-credit internships are the responsibility of the participating student and the site.

Will I still have access to academic activities and facilities?

The Governor’s "Stay Home/Stay Safe" executive order directs that only essential employees should be on campus. Deans and vice presidents are determining and notifying employees if they are deemed to be essential. All others should work remotely. UVM is not changing building access at this time, in the event that employees need to access their offices to retrieve items to work remotely or personal belongings.

(Updated: 3/26/20)

Is there specific instruction for graduate, postdoctoral and medical students?

Yes, both the Dean of the Graduate College and the Dean of the College of Medicine have sent communications directly to their students. Please continue to use this FAQ for other questions you may have.

(Updated: 3/25/20)

How does the current environment affect my ability to withdraw from classes?

The university is moving the Spring 2020 withdraw deadline from Friday, March 27, to one week later on April 3. The Registrar's Office is here to help, and students will be informed of the change via email and messaging in myUVM. Please communicate the new withdraw date to your faculty, student services staff, and academic advisors.

When will fall semester registration begin?

Fall semester registration will begin as scheduled on April 6. Advisors should be in touch with advisees to arrange for remote advising. Please let your advisees know how they can contact you for advising, and remind them that registration is coming up. A video conferencing software like Microsoft Teams (available to all faculty, staff and students) may offer the best substitute for in-person meetings. If you experience connectivity issues, consider using audio-only chats, or offer advising through email.

Advisors can email or text their students through the Navigate platform. Your college or school may have specific recommendations for how you can use Navigate to contact advisees or schedule appointments with them. General advice on using Navigate for remote advising.

Can I make plans for summer travel study?

Due to uncertainty regarding travel over the next several months, UVM is canceling approval for all summer travel study. This includes both domestic and international travel occurring through UVM and external programs. A decision regarding Fall Study Abroad approvals is expected before July 1.

Are there safety policies or protocols for research involving human subjects at this time?

Yes. Effective immediately, UVM is issuing a temporary policy to human subjects-related research visits. The focus of this policy is the safety of research participants. When applying this policy, the safety of staff and health care providers should also be considered when assessing whether a research visit should proceed.


This policy applies to all research studies conducted by faculty and staff of UVM/UVMMC (whether visits occur at a UVM/UVMMC site or not). This policy applies to visits in on-going studies and enrollment of new research participants. This policy does not apply to IRB-approved study activities that do not involve direct subject contact (e.g., chart review, Qualtrics/Redcap surveys, and remote interviews).


  • Participant research visits that are not part of a treatment trial should be performed remotely (e.g., phone, Zoom, or other means) whenever possible. If that is not possible, the protocol dictated visit will need to be postponed until further notice.
  • All human subjects research visits should be stopped unless otherwise determined.
  • The determination of whether or not research visits, as part of a treatment trial, provide an immediate benefit to the health and/or well-being of participants enrolled in a study must be made on a study-by-study basis. Investigators should consult with their department chair, clinic director, or division chief to make this determination. If you plan to use the Office of Clinical Trials Research resources, space and/or staff or the Clinical Research Center, you must obtain prior approval from the Senior Associate Dean for Research and Assistant Dean for Clinical Research Administration.
  • Please contact the IRB if you are uncertain after consultation with your department/clinic leadership. Approval can be accomplished at the protocol level versus each individual visit. See guidance table below:
    • If visits are approved, research participants should be provided with information regarding the current COVID-19 epidemic and how best to reduce their risk of infection. This information may be provided in multiple forms suited to the type of contact, including a website link, a telephone script and an in-person handout. If possible, this information should be shared before the research visit.
    • Research staff must contact any participants enrolled in treatment trials prior to their scheduled visit to conduct screening. Participants should be screened for fever, cough, flu-like symptoms, and recent travel history, per CDC guidelines. If a participant self-reports fever or symptoms of respiratory illness, the research staff must discuss the participant’s symptoms with the healthcare/study team prior to the visit to determine appropriate steps to ensure the continued safety of the participant.
  • Enrollment of new patients on treatment trials should be allowed only if:
    • Participation in the trial is essential to a participant’s health and/or well-being, as determined above; OR
    • The enrollment and longitudinal participant management can be conducted remotely for the duration of the COVID-19 outbreak; OR
    • All research visits occur in conjunction with standard of care ongoing medical treatment (i.e. inpatient studies where research participants are not traveling to attend research visits).

Research Personnel

  • Research monitors must conduct their reviews remotely until further notice.

Institutional Review Board Requirements

Changes to protocols to accommodate remote visits during the COVID-19 emergency have been determined by the IRB to meet the regulatory allowance that “change is necessary to eliminate an apparent immediate hazard” and therefore these changes do not require prior IRB approval. Please work with the IT department to assist with ensuring any technical means employed are secure.

Standard clinical screening for the COVID-19 virus does not require an amendment to the protocol.

IRB Reporting
Protocol deviations related to this policy do not require immediate reporting but must be reported at the time of the next continuing review, unless the deviation meets IRB reporting requirements as outlined in Section 18 of the IRB Policies and Procedures.. This means you are expected to report any use of remote visits that are not currently part of your approved protocol at continuing review. If your study does not require annual review, no report to the IRB is required.

All other reporting requirements remain in effect.

Residential Life and Housing

When can I return to campus to collect my belongings? What about my room?

As of March 23, all undergraduate students remaining on campus are being asked to return to their homes. President Garimella’s 3/23/20 message to the UVM community details the context for and importance of this decision. We understand that not all students will have a place to return to and as a result we will continue to offer emergency housing. Emergency housing will be approved on a case-by-case basis for international students unable to travel back to their home country and/or students who have no other alternatives. Students who need emergency housing must complete the COVID-19 Housing Request Form located in your myHousing portal by March 27 at 12:00 p.m.

No students, other than those approved for emergency housing, will be able to access rooms, their possessions, and associated facilities until further notice.

I need some things from my room. How can I get them?

Students unable to retrieve items essential for remote instruction have the option to submit the Essential Items Request Form located in myHousing. Items will be shipped at no cost to permanent (home) addresses on record. Essential items are defined as passports, academic work and materials, textbooks, and class-related electronics.

What about my housing and meal credits?

Housing credits of $1,000 will be issued during the first week of April to those students who leave their residence halls by March 30, even if their belongings remain on campus. Students approved for emergency housing will not be eligible for this credit.

Meal plan credits are individualized and therefore more complicated to calculate. This will take more time. Please be patient with us; we are working diligently on calculating these credits for students who will have vacated the residence halls by the March 30 deadline.

Do I need to return my key?

Students who have emptied out their rooms can mail their keys in. Please mail your room key(s) to: 406 South Prospect Street, Burlington, VT 05405. In addition to your key, please indicate your building name and room number. If you will need to return to campus to retrieve your belongings towards the end of the semester, please hold on to your keys. Any student currently on campus departing by March 30 should drop off their keys at the assigned front desk using the express check-out envelopes.

I am currently living on campus. What can I expect for my mail delivery? Are the main desk and mail room in my building open?

Main desks and mail rooms in residence halls will remain open and continue regular operations. Starting Monday, March 23, mail pickup locations will be dependent on your building:

  • Students in MAT, L/L, H/M, UHS, and UHN will pick up their mail at the Harris/Millis Front Desk
  • Students in CWP, Coolidge, Redstone, MSH, and WDW will pick up their mail at the WDW Front Desk
  • Students in JM, 439 College Street, CCRH, McCann, Sichel, Richardson, Ready, Hunt, Mercy, and McAuley will pick up their mail at the McAuley Front Desk

I am expecting to receive deliveries at my campus address. How can I ensure my packages get to me?

The best way to ensure your packages get to you is to update your shipping information with the vendor to reflect your current place of living. If a package is already on campus for you and you’re interested in having it mailed to you, please fill out this form. Package forwarding is subject to a fee.

All perishable food packages will be returned to sender for the remainder of the remote instruction period. This includes perishable packages already shipped to campus.

What am I supposed to do about choosing my housing for next year?

We are still planning to go through the Housing Selection Process for the 2020-2021 Academic Year. The selection process is completed entirely online and does not require that a student is on-campus. Students will receive an email with more information detailing this process closer to the selection date and should be sure to monitor their UVM email.

Resources for Off-Campus Students

I'm a student who lives off campus and have concerns about my housing, rent, lease, etc. during this time.

All UVM students who currently live off campus are being urged to return to their homes. President Garimella’s 3/23/20 message to the UVM community details the context for and importance of this decision.

Each person's situation is different, and we’d never want students to take unnecessary risks in traveling, but we're encouraging all students who are able to safely travel home to do so. There are two main reasons: the exposure risks that off-campus communal living situations may present, and the support you may have off-campus if you become ill and need to isolate. Be safe, and stay healthy.

Off-campus students who are not living in their Burlington rentals while taking classes remotely still need to pay rent. Students should refer to their lease contracts for more details. If paying rent is going to be difficult for you, you could:

  • Contact your landlord and let them know your situation and see if you could work something out
  • Ask the landlord if you can sublet your rental

The following are UVM and local resources for landlord-tenant concerns:

  • UVM Office of Student and Community Relations: 802-656-9405
  • Vermont Tenants Hotline: 802-864-0099
  • Vermont Legal Aid: 1-800-889-2047
  • Student Legal Services: 802-656-4379
  • Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity: 802-862-2771 (provides housing, utility, and food support services)

If you are allowed to sublet, here are some tips.
Share your subletting needs:

Get good information about the subletting requirements and process:

I don’t plan to return to my off-campus rental for a while. How can I receive my mail?

Students who don’t plan to return to their rental unit for a period of time should sign up for mail forwarding or another mail service provided by the U.S. Post Office.

I’d be more comfortable moving out of my off-campus home at this point. What do I need to consider?

If you decide to move out for the rest of the semester and need to sublet your space, see the first Q&A in this section. If you live in shared housing with roommates, it is good to work out a plan with your roommates before moving out.

Here are some resources that will be helpful in the moving process:

I’m losing income as a result of COVID-19. What resources are available to help make ends meet?

If you are losing income as a result of COVID-19, the following are Vermont resources that may be helpful:

For University resources: Regularly check back here for more COVID-19-related support; read UVM's Off Campus Living Guide (pdf).

For City of Burlington updates: Visit the city's Response to COVID-19, which will share updates on rental and utility hardship initiatives; see Mayor Miro Weinberger’s press release for more details.

For State of Vermont updates: Visit the State's Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) site.

Visiting Campus

Are Admitted Student Visit Days cancelled?

Out of concern for public health, our on-campus programs will be moving to virtual visits. We're excited to connect with you online and help you learn more about our amazing community and campus.

We are evaluating the ever-changing situation and will send updates to registered families via email ASAP.

Any off-campus admitted student receptions (San Fran, Seattle, possibly Chicago and Westchester) will be moved to virtual events. Our visit website is the best resource for updates on program changes and virtual options.

Human Resources

When can I return to work If I had COVID-19, Influenza, or another contagious illness?

If you are feeling unwell and/or showing signs of illness, you should not come to work. Employees should follow the recommended guidelines issued by the CDC and the Vermont Department of Health. Currently, the CDC recommends that employees not return to work until they are free of fever (100.4°F / 37.8° C), signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least 24 hours, without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines (e.g., cough suppressants).

I meet with people frequently as part of my job responsibilities. What should I do if I suspect someone is showing symptoms of illness?

You should encourage all individuals to practice cough and sneeze etiquette (cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or your sleeve), to wash hands often with soap and water and to regularly use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

If you observe a co-worker showing symptoms of illness, you can encourage them to talk to their supervisor about going home if they are ill and/or you can talk to your own supervisor about your observations. Please be cautious about making assumptions and avoid words and actions that could be viewed as stigmatizing or discriminating.

Will my UVM-sponsored healthcare plan cover a test for COVID-19?

The University’s health care plan will cover COVID-19 testing performed by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Vermont Department of Health (VDH), or a laboratory approved by CDC or VDH, with no co-payment, coinsurance, or deductible requirements. This coverage includes in-network provider office or urgent care visits and emergency services visits to test for COVID-19.If in-network providers are unavailable to conduct testing for COVID-19, the health care plan will cover out-of-network testing on the terms outlined above. For more detailed information on the terms of coverage of the University’s health plan, please refer to the University of Vermont Open Access Summary Plan Description (PDF) .

What assistance is available to me to help cope with the emotional impact of a COVID-19 outbreak?

The University provides employee assistance counseling through InvestEAP. Counselors can be reached 24 hours a day/7 days a week at 802-864-3270 and through their website (password: UVM). Their services are available to all UVM employees and their family members. InvestEAP will remain available even in a Vermont-declared state of emergency.

If I need to self-quarantine for 14 days, will I need to use my accrued leave time?

Yes, if you need to self-quarantine, and your job does not lend itself to working remotely, you will be required to use accrued leave to cover the time away from work. If you have exhausted all forms of accrued paid leave (sick, personal, vacation, cultural holiday, and compensatory time), UVM will allow you to go into a sick time deficit of up to ten additional days for purposes of a self-quarantine. If you go into a sick time deficit, you will not accrue any further sick time until the deficit is paid back. UVM reserves the right to recoup any remaining sick time deficits from the final paycheck of employees who terminate before they regain a positive sick time balance. Alternatively, UVM will grant unpaid time to an employee who has no accrued leave time but needs time off to self-quarantine.

If daycare providers or PK-12 schools in the area are closed and I need to care for my children so I cannot report to work, what are my options?

Speak with your supervisor to determine if your job responsibilities are compatible with working from home. If they are, and if your situation at home enables you to telecommute effectively, your supervisor may allow temporary telecommuting arrangements to be put in place. For employees who cannot work from home, you may request to use accrued paid time off, such as accrued sick or vacation time. Alternatively, please speak to your supervisor about the possibility of using unpaid leave. Your supervisor may contact Human Resource Services (HRS) for assistance. You may not bring your children to work with you.

I am afraid of getting infected and do not want to come to work. What are my options?

Generally, if you are not sick, you should report to work and practice respiratory, cough, and sneeze etiquette, wash your hands often with soap and water and use alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Employees requesting telecommuting as a disability accommodation must follow the procedures set out in the Disability Accommodation Policy for Employees and Applicants for Employment.

I do not have any accumulated leave balances, I am unable to telecommute, and I need to stay home due to illness, self-isolation or quarantine requirements, or active care of others due to COVID-19. What should I do?

Because we are in the midst of a declared pandemic, if you have exhausted all forms of accrued paid leave (sick, personal, vacation, cultural holiday, and compensatory time), UVM will allow you to go into a sick time deficit of up to ten additional days for illness, to meet self-isolation or quarantine requirements, or for the active care of others because of disruptions related to COVID-19. If you go into a sick time deficit, you will not accrue any further sick time until the deficit is paid back. UVM reserves the right to recoup any remaining sick time deficit from the final paycheck of employees who terminate before they regain a positivesick time balance. Alternatively, you may request unpaid time off.

Does my supervisor need to approve my request to telework if there is a COVID-19 outbreak?

Employees cannot unilaterally decide to telework. Employees must work with their supervisors to determine if telecommuting is compatible with the employee’s job responsibilities, and if so, to put in place a temporary teleworking arrangement.

I am a supervisor. What are my responsibilities in creating and managing telework arrangements?

Supervisors need to consult with their dean/department head or delegate before finalizing plans with individual employees to work remotely. Specific arrangements should be documented using a telework agreement (pdf). Please note that some work at the University is not suitable for remote work.

Steps for developing telework arrangements:

1. Think creatively. Consider how and what the work priorities are now that the University has shifted to remote instruction.

  • Identify projects, functions, and priorities that align with temporary remote work parameters. Employees who may not be able to, or need to, perform their usual tasks during this time can be temporarily assigned to other projects, such as organizing electronic files, entering information into a spreadsheet, or compiling data or information needed for a project.
  • Employees may perform activities across departments, if there is operational need: if one department within a college or division has a large project that requires a lot of dedicated time, employees from other departments may be assigned to assist with that project.
  • Employees may be assigned to work not specified in their job descriptions, on a temporary basis, if it benefits the University during the current COVID-related situation and allows for the employee to work from home.

2. Set parameters and establish expectations. While all employees must still work their “normal” (37.5 or 40 hours, as applicable) work week, some flexibility is reasonable with respect to when employees get their work done.

  • Establish “core” hours when employees must complete work. Most employees should maintain their normal hours, e.g., 8:00-4:30, however a supervisor my grant additional flexibility, such as requiring that all work be done between 6 AM and 6 PM.
  • Establish clear expectations of times when employees must be immediately responsive to calls and emails.
  • Non-exempt employees may not work more hours than their normal daily (7.5 or 8 hour) schedule. Except in extreme circumstances, as directed by a supervisor in advance, non-exempt employees who are teleworking are not eligible for overtime.
  • All employees must record their specific hours worked on a daily basis and report them weekly, and supervisors should carefully review hours worked before approving.
  • Supervisors must specify communication expectations, including the use of particular software (such as Microsoft teams), and identify necessary equipment and supplies.

3. Supervisors need to ensure that they continue to engage and communicate regularly with the people who report to them.  With proper planning, communications problems associated with remote work can be minimized.

  • Establish a regular check-in schedule with direct reports.
  • Continue regularly scheduled meetings over the phone, or through the Microsoft Teams platform.
  • Articulate clear procedures regarding check-in times and hours of availability.The University’s paid-time-off policies continue to apply to employees who are unavailable to work while working remotely. Employees must continue to report time in PeopleSoft, and supervisors should continue to review exception time through PeopleSoft for their direct reports as applicable.
  • Needs will change as the situation evolves. Supervisors and their direct reports will need to remain in close communication while working remotely. Teleworking arrangements established under COVID-19 are expected to be temporary, and a general communication to campus will direct all teleworking employees to return to their normal worksites at some point in the future. However, the University reserves the right to rescind approval for an employee to telework at any time.

What is the University's policy regarding allowing employees to temporarily telework at this time?

Effective Wednesday, March 18, supervisors and managers are strongly encouraged to enable employees to telecommute wherever possible. Decisions about which positions are conducive to telecommuting should be made in consultation with each Dean or Vice President (or their designee). All employees who telecommute are expected to continue all necessary work in support of the University’s operations, as scheduled on a daily basis, to keep daily track of their hours, and to request and report any exception time. The details of the temporary teleworking arrangement should be documented using the telework agreement (pdf).

Enabling telework wherever possible will significantly limit the number of people on campus, which will help to protect the health and safety of those who must be here. Employees whose positions require them to work on campus should practice social distancing, such as not congregating in groups more than 10 and maintaining a distance of six feet away from other people.

What is the decision tree and process for closing offices to in-person transactions?

All offices must continue to address campus business/operational needs. However, if you believe that your office can and should close to in-person transactions, and can do so without compromising services to students, employees, and visitors, please submit a departmental plan to your Dean or Vice President with the following information:

  • Critical functions: The major/critical functions of your office.
  • Description of service delivery: A clear explanation of how you/your employees will accomplish these functions and effectively deliver services remotely.
  • Supervision guidelines: A plan for remote supervision, e.g., how will you supervise your employees remotely? How will you conduct meetings and assign, track, prioritize, and review their work? Will you be meeting one-on-one through the Teams platform daily or weekly?
  • Telework summary and employee agreements: A list of which employees have asked to telework, and a completed telework agreement for each.

Please note: The closure of any office will require consultation with and approval by the President or Provost prior to any official announcement. The University remains open for business and, for now, we expect very few complete office closures. The temporary telework guidelines (pdf) distributed on March 17 remain in effect.

One of my employees has asked to wear a facemask when meeting with other people. How do I respond?

The CDC has not recommended the use of facemasks for healthy individuals trying to protect against COVID-19. However, if an employee would like to wear a facemask when meeting with other people it is their choice to do so.

One of my employees called out sick but does not have available paid leave time. What should I do?

Employees exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, or who are subject to a self-quarantine based on CDC or Vermont Department of Health guidance, must not report to work. If an employee has exhausted all forms of accrued paid leave (sick, personal, vacation, cultural holiday, and compensatory time), UVM will allow them to go into a sick time deficit of up to ten additional days of paid sick time for purposes of a self-quarantine or because the employee is exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19. Alternatively, UVM will grant unpaid time to an employee who has no accrued leave time but needs time off to self-quarantine or because the employee is experiencing signs of COVID-19.

I am helping my unit with an active search process. What should I do to mitigate the impact of the outbreak on the process?

Talk with the search committee chair and/or hiring manager about conducting interviews via the University’s “Microsoft Teams” platform to limit unnecessary air travel and visits to campus. If a final campus visit is necessary and COVID-19 is widespread, you should also talk with the chair/hiring manager about whether it is possible to delay the visit until incidents subside

My unit is actively recruiting for open positions. Should we continue to actively recruit during this time or put these processes off until things begin to return to normal?

This depends on the business needs of your unit and evolving circumstances. At the present time, the University is open and operating.

How do I work with the Administrative Business Service Center (ABSC)?

Due to the continual increase in seriousness related to COVID-19, the ABSC will be making some important changes in how we operate for the foreseeable future. Please read below.

  • The ABSC will move to remote operations beginning Wednesday 3/18.
  • Staff will be available via email and TEAMS. Staff will not be available onsite.
  • We will continue to operate our Footprint system as before  - no change.  Please send all requests as previously to adminbsc@uvm.edu
  • All document submissions must be electronic. There will not be staff on site to handle paper requests for the foreseeable future.
  • Attach all documents associated with your work request to 1 email.
  • If you need a mechanism to submit electronic documentation, we recommend that you purchase Adobe Acrobat Pro.
  • Adobe Acrobat Pro gives you the ability to use Adobe Electronic Signature and also to merge multiple PDF documents into one. Further context/instructions are attached.
  • You can purchase this product through the UVM Bookstore. The Bookstore is aware this message is going out and many ABSC customers may be contacting them.
  • There are two options for purchasing this product:
    • Adobe Acrobat Pro Version 17 - $169 one-time purchase
    • Adobe Acrobat Pro DC in the Adobe Creative Cloud - $123/year (please note that this software will still be installed on the desktop)
    • For either option, email tech.store@uvm.edu.
    • Include which option you would like and how many licenses you need for your department.
    • If possible, please send one email per department with the number of licenses needed, rather than sending individual emails.
    • You will receive a response to work out the details of the license.
  • If you do not wish to purchase Adobe Acrobat Pro at this time, you can use your phone as an alternative.  This option works best for document submissions of up to 5 pages.  If you regularly submit documentation with multiple pages we suggest investing in Adobe Acrobat Pro.
  • Take a picture of what you need to send us and attach that photo to an email sent to adminbsc@uvm.edu.  Attach all documents associated with your work request to 1 email.
  • In most cases photos of hand-written signatures will be accepted.
  • Do not send things interoffice mail.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to adminbsc@uvm.edu with any immediate questions.

Campus Life and Facilities

Is UVM open?

Our university is open, and continuing our support of critically important services and activities, such as our student support, administrative functions, and research endeavors. However, we are shifting our teaching and learning online. Please refer to the plan announced by President Garimella in a communication on March 11, 2020, as well as the update in his March 23, 2020, message to the UVM community.

(Updated: 3/25/20)

Are campus buildings open for their usual hours?

In compliance with Governor Scott’s “stay home, stay safe” executive order, beginning at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 25, 2020, all university buildings will be accessible only to UVM employees, students, and affiliates with CATcards or keys. If you have questions about your CATcard access, email CATcard@uvm.edu. Students approved for emergency housing after March 30, 2020, will have their CATcard programmed appropriately.

Meetings or appointments, including those with members of the public, scheduled to take place on campus during this time should now be conducted via video, email, and/or phone.

(Updated: 3/26/20)

Is the Davis Center open?

Effective Wednesday, March 25, 2020, the Davis Center will be closed, including Cat Pause and the UVM Bookstore. The Bookstore will be available for online orders. If you had an event scheduled in the Davis Center, University Event Services will be in contact with you about your event.

(Updated: 3/26/20)

Are the buildings at the Larner College of Medicine open?

The Larner College of Medicine remains open and functioning. However, all exterior entrances to the Given Building, Health Science Research Facility, and Medical Education Center entrances are accessible only by using a UVM CATCard with access privileges. Larner College of Medicine and College of Nursing and Health Sciences personnel who do not have CATCard access to the exterior doors of the medical complex should contact their administrator.

Can I park on campus during this time? Is the CAT shuttle running?

Campus parking regulations are in effect, with modifications to standard lot and time restrictions. Learn more about those modifications on the Transportation and Parking Services website.

Campus shuttles are operating on a modified schedule. The shuttle schedule is available on the Transportation and Parking Services website. While everyday preventive hygiene actions such as hand washing and staying home are the most important actions to prevent the spread of illness, the University sanitizes its shuttles daily and will continue to do so as long as they are in service.

The university offered UVM Medical Center 266 parking spaces to allow medical personnel to park in lots closer to the hospital, and has identified additional spaces that will be released to the hospital if the need arises. We continue to work with the medical center to ensure staff are aware of the new parking availability.

(Updated: 3/26/20)

What dining options remain open on campus?

All retail dining locations on campus, including Waterman Café and Given Atrium, are currently closed. Redstone Dining and the “Twelve Kiosk” at Jeanne Mance will close effective Friday, March 27, at 1:00 p.m.

Harris Millis and Central Campus Dining will remain open for students. Please check the COVID-19 Dining Updates on the UVM Dining website for updated hours.

All students who remain on campus as of Monday, March 30 will have their meal plan automatically switched to the all-access meal plan with no points for the remainder of the semester. On campus students with questions concerning their meal plan can email mpo@uvm.edu. Commuter students can use points to get meals at Harris/Millis and Central Campus Dining Halls.

For current hours of operation, check the UVM Dining website.

(Updated: 3/26/20)

What else should I know about UVM dining at this time?

There’s a few things:

  • To protect your health and safety, dining hall meals will be served in single-use containers for take-out only.
  • Hot/cold beverage cups will be available for your convenience; no refilling of personal water bottles or coffee mugs in dining halls.
  • EcoWare will not be available.
  • We will continue to provide meals for those with special dietary needs; please contact our Registered Dietitian if you have questions.

(Updated: 3/26/20)

What is the guidance on group gatherings? Should I cancel the event I’m hosting on campus?

In light of Governor Scott’s “Stay Home, Stay Safe” executive order, the University is cancelling all events through April 15. If possible, you should host your event virtually via Microsoft Teams or Zoom. Please reach out to these campus teams with questions:

(Updated: 3/25/20)

Are athletics and sporting events still happening?

All team and individual contests, practices, and organized trainings have been cancelled for the remainder of the 2019–20 academic year. Please see UVM Athletics' COVID-19 Student-Athlete FAQ for details.

Are fitness facilities, classes and Campus Recreation impacted?

Yes. In light of the ongoing COVID-19 developments, Campus Recreation is committed to closely monitoring the university's response plans for COVID-19. Effective immediately, all Campus Recreation/athletic facilities will be CLOSED for recreational use until further notice. Stay up-to-date with Campus Recreation offerings.

(Updated: 3/25/20)

Do I have access to UVM libraries?

Howe Library, Dana Medical Library, and Silver Special Collections Library buildings will be closed, but essential services will remain available, including research assistance, reference help, instructional services, and scanning and document delivery service.  Check the Howe Library website, Dana Medical Library website, and Silver Special Collections Library website for additional information.

(Updated: 3/26/20)

Is the Prism Center open for support?

The Prism Center staff is working remotely. Staff are available for 1:1 appointments via Microsoft Teams or phone. Students can contact individual staff members or e-mail prism@uvm.edu for assistance. All staff members are on Microsoft Teams and available during normal business hours. 

Students can continue to access the Prism Center’s food cupboard. Note: Allen House is accessible by CATcard, only. 

(Updated: 3/25/20)

Will the Catholic Center at UVM remain open?

Bishop Coyne has announced the suspension of all public celebrations of Mass, sacraments, and devotions beginning Friday, March 20. The Catholic Center will also be closed for use at this time; however, Father Dwight will be available for the Sacrament of Reconciliation and the Anointing of the Sick. The Catholic Center Staff is be available anytime to talk remotely. Check the Catholic Center website for further information.

(Updated: 3/25/20)

I'm a student employee. How should I proceed?

In light of the governor’s “Stay Home/Stay Safe” executive order, as of March 25, 2020, all student employees need to transition to remote work or discontinue working immediately. Students in active federal work-study jobs (as of March 16, 2020) who are displaced due to the change to remote learning can continue to submit their normal hours weekly up to the amount of their remaining award eligibility.

At this time, recruitment for student employees for summer and fall is suspended and until further notice. Current and upcoming job opportunities in the JobX jobs board are currently unavailable for both summer and fall.

If you have questions about your student employment, please contact the Student Employment Office at 802-656-5705 or student.employment@uvm.edu.

(Updated: 3/26/20)

I'm the supervisor of a student employee. Should I allow my student to resume work?

In light of the governor’s “Stay Home/Stay Safe” executive order, as of March 25, 2020, all student employees need to transition to remote work or discontinue working immediately. Students in active federal work-study jobs (as of March 16, 2020) who are displaced due to the change to remote learning can continue to submit their normal hours weekly up to the amount of their remaining award eligibility—nothing more.

Student-employee supervisors may allow students to perform their duties remotely, if possible and appropriate.

At this time, recruitment for student employees for summer and fall is suspended and until further notice. Current and upcoming job opportunities in the JobX jobs board are currently unavailable for both summer and fall.

If you have questions about supervising student employees during this time, please contact the Student Employment Office at 802-656-5705 or email student.employment@uvm.edu.

(Updated: 3/26/20)

Can I expect to receive FedEx and UPS deliveries at this time?

All FedEx or UPS packages will continue to be delivered to UVM Print & Mail at the UVM Williston Mail facility. UVM Print & Mail staff will attempt to deliver the package to the specific office/department by emailing or calling in advance to confirm that someone is present to receive the delivery, or if UVM Print & Mail receives an email or phone communication from the office/department stating that someone will be in their office to accept the delivery. Mail and packages will continue to be delivered to the Larner College of Medicine and all other essential service locations. The Print & Mail operation in Waterman will be closed. All other U.S. mail and any intercampus mail will be held at Print & Mail in Williston for departments to pick up, unless they have notified Print & Mail Services that they are operating on campus. All others (if you are determined to be an essential employee) can opt to pick up mail and packages at the UVM Williston Mail facility (223 Avenue D, Suite 20, Williston, VT), from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, if you are not on campus. To make special arrangements, please contact Print & Mail Services at LisaMae.Anderson@uvm.edu.

Student packages will be handled by the UVM Print & Mail department. If you remain on campus, we will be delivering these along with your mail to the appropriate Residential Halls. If you are no longer on campus, we will be contacting you in the next few days via email with an option to have us ship your package to a specified address, return it to the sender, or store the package until a later date.

(Updated: 3/26/20)

Travel and Study Abroad

I have UVM-related international and/or domestic travel plans, what should I do?

Due to the global impact of COVID-19, the United States Department of State has issued a global Level-4 health advisory strongly urging U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel. This follows an earlier advisory from the Department of State and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to postpone all nonessential travel, domestic and international.

All university travel—international and domestic—is suspended until further notice for all faculty, staff, and students. This action will apply regardless of the funding source/sponsor for the travel.

I have personal (non-UVM-related) international and/or domestic travel plans, do I need to notify someone?

The university strongly encourages you to apply the same abundance of caution to personal travel. You should keep in mind the possibility of quarantine measures being introduced while you are traveling. Students, faculty, or staff planning to travel on personal trips are advised to have contingency plans in the event of major disruptions that could affect both outbound and return travel. Please carefully weigh the risks and benefits of any international travel, and review U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention information on COVID-19 to learn more.

I am currently outside the U.S. on official travel for UVM or planning an overseas trip. I need support or have questions. Who can I contact?

The U.S. Department of State has advised U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. It has also recommended that, in countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the U.S., unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.

We urge all University of Vermont faculty, staff and students who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents who are presently abroad to return to the United States immediately. Delaying your return could result in being stranded abroad for an indefinite amount of time, possibly months.

University of Vermont faculty, staff and students who are abroad and who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents are advised to return to their homeland or to the U.S., depending on personal circumstances.

Faculty and staff should contact UVM Risk Management and Safety, or contact International SOS, UVM’s emergency international travel services provider, which supports the UVM community members who are currently abroad on official travel or planning official international travel, at 215-942-8226. You may be asked for UVM’s membership number #11BSGC000020.

U.S. citizens abroad should already be enrolled in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program through the U.S. Department of State to receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your host country and help the U.S Embassy and your family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency. If not already enrolled in this program, all UVM faculty, staff or students abroad should enroll immediately. Please encourage those aboard to review what the Department of State can and can’t do in a crisis.

Non-U.S. citizens should seek similar guidance from their home government, using applicable channels.

Although the Office of International Education does not usually handle employee matters related to international travel, in this instance questions or concerns should be directed to OIE director Kim Howard at Kim.Howard@uvm.edu.

Where can I get guidance for travelers returning from an affected area?

The best resource for this is the Centers for Disease Control's content just for travelers returning to the United States.

All travelers who have returned from countries with "widespread sustained (ongoing) transmission" in the last 14 days should call the Vermont Department of Health at 802-863-7240. The Vermont Department of Health will be in regular contact with you for 14 days since the day you left the affected area to monitor you for symptoms of shortness of breath, cough or fever. If you develop these symptoms, contact your health care provider right away.

Health Resources

I’m not feeling well—what should I do if I think I may have COVID-19?

The most common symptoms are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Less often some people will have sore throat, body aches, or diarrhea. If you are experiencing these symptoms, unless it is an emergency, please stay at home and contact your primary care provider (PCP) by phone. Remember, most cases of the flu or COVID-19 will be mild.

Please do not show up at a clinic, urgent care, or other health facility without calling in advance. Your provider will need to take special measures to protect other people in the clinic. Telemedicine may also be available, enabling you to consult a provider from home. Students may contact Student Health Services. Faculty and staff should contact their primary care provider.

COVID-19 is a viral illness that cannot be treated with antibiotics or antivirals, and there is no vaccine. It is spread through person-to-person contact or by touching objects and surfaces that are contaminated with the virus and then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes.

The following steps can help you take care of yourself, friends, family, and community:

  • Take Tylenol or other acetaminophen pain relievers, fever reducers, decongestants, or cough medicine to manage symptoms. Avoid NSAIDs (Advil, Motrin, and Aleve). Call your PCP first if you have chronic health conditions before you take these medications.
  • Do not go to work/school/public areas.
  • Avoid public transportation/ride-sharing/taxis.
  • Separate yourself from other people and animals in your home.
  • Use a separate bathroom if available.
  • Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue.
  • Wear a facemask when around other people.
  • Avoid sharing personal household items (cups, dishes, utensils, towels, bedding).
  • Clean your hands often either with soap and water for 20 seconds or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
  • Clean high-touch surfaces at least once a day (phone, computer, counter, tables, doorknobs, toilet, etc.).

How can I protect my health and that of others’ during this time?

You can reduce the risk of spreading coronaviruses by taking the same steps as you would to prevent infection from the flu and the common cold:

  • Stay home while you are sick and practice social distancing (stay at least 6 feet from others).
  • To help reduce the spread of coronavirus, it’s extremely important to clean your hands often, especially after being in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. Wash hands often with soap and water for a least 20 seconds.
  • Hand sanitizer can be used if soap and water are not readily available. However, UVM’s existing wall-mounted hand sanitizer dispensers do not currently contain the minimum 60% alcohol recommended by the CDC to kill the COVID-19 virus. Effective hand sanitizer should contain 60-95% alcohol.* 
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Avoid contact with people who are sick.
  • Cover your mouth and nose with your elbow or a tissue when coughing or sneezing, and immediately dispose of the used tissue.

*University procurement efforts to acquire 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer have proven unsuccessful thus far. The University expects to receive 100 cases of it by mid-April. We will update you with any updates to this timing. In the meantime, continue to wash your hands with water and soap for at least 20 seconds. Share some of your alcohol-based hand sanitizer with a colleague and friend. Thank you for your continued efforts to protect our community.

UVM Experts Weigh in on How to Keep Communities Safe

What does social distancing look like?

Social distancing is among the best ways to slow the spread of COVID-19. But what does it look like?

  • Keep your distance. Stay at least 6 feet away from others.
  • Avoid large gatherings and crowded spaces, including public transportation
  • Avoid close contact, especially with the elderly
  • Limit social plans. Use technology instead of meeting face-to-face whenever possible.
  • If you're feeling ill, please call Student Health Services or your health care provider

I’m anxious about the situation unfolding—are there resources or support for my wellbeing?

We understand that some community members are concerned and that this is a stressful time.  If you would like to talk with someone, support is available to students through campus mental health services by calling the following offices:

  • Students: Counseling and Psychiatry Services and the Student Health Services (details on availability below).
  • Employees:  Invest EAP
  • You can help prevent the spread of colds and other viral ailments by doing the following:
  • Get a flu shot.
  • If you’re sick, stay home.
  • Practice vigilant hand hygiene.
  •  Cover your mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing.
  • If you have a cough, wear a mask.
  • Keep your hands away from your face.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces.
  • If you have a fever or cough,

Will Student Health Services remain open?

SHS will continue with their standard services and hours of operation. Students seeking care who are on-campus or in the Burlington area are encouraged to call SHS before coming in at 802-656-3350. Students who are patients of SHS and are currently away from campus may reach out to their providers through MyWellbeing or by calling SHS. Providers at SHS are shifting as many visits as possible to telehealth visits, either via telephone or through Microsoft Teams. When Student Health Services is closed, medical advice for all UVM students is available through our on-call services by calling 1-866-878-2485.  

Students should be aware that SHS Satellite Clinics at Living Well in the Davis Center, Mosaic Center for Students of Color and Prism Center have been cancelled until further notice.

Will CAPS and Living Well remain open?

CAPS will also continue with standard office hours, which are 8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. Until further notice, all CAPS appointments will take place by phone. Students should call CAPS with questions or to get the most up-to-date information about available supports. Students already connected to CAPS and needing support may also reach out to their counselors via MyWellbeing. Students may continue to access the On-Call Counselor when the CAPS office is closed by calling the main phone line, 802-656-3340.

Students should be aware that all CAPS Groups and Workshops are cancelled until further notice in order to comply with social distancing principles. Let’s Talk at all locations on campus is also cancelled until further notice.

There will be no CHWB Programs or Services offered at Living Well in the Davis Center until further notice in order to comply with social distancing principles. This includes all drop-in programs, classes, Let’s Talk, and CAPS Workshops. 

Please see our website for more information about our services and programs as well as updated hours, as they may change.

If any UVM community member is screened for COVID-19, will I be notified?

To protect their privacy, UVM legally is not able to release personal information about any students or University community members who are being monitored or tested for COVID-19, including their location. We will only share information about cases in general terms. Should any UVM community member be diagnosed with COVID-19, the relevant local health department and UVM would initiate appropriate protocols to protect the health of anyone deemed to be at risk.

Where can essential-service employees get information to help prepare for situations requiring them to work on campus?

Where can essential-service employees get information to help prepare for situations requiring them to work on campus?

The UVM Office of Emergency Management has a wealth of resources to assist you and your family to prepare for, respond to, and recover from a variety of natural and human-caused emergencies and disasters.  The UVM Emergency Management webpage provides examples of plans, checklists, free training and videos that can assist. You can also find information on being prepared specifically for Vermont on the Vermont Emergency Management webpage, and more general preparedness information at Ready.gov.

What are the symptoms of COVID-19

The symptoms may include a fever higher than 100.5 degrees, extreme exhaustion, severe muscle or body aches, chills, dry cough and difficulty breathing, which may appear 2-14 days after exposure. The symptoms are similar to the flu, though this is considered more serious than the flu.

Are there steps individuals, families, and communities can take to help prepare if there is widespread transmission of COVID-19?

The CDC has a guide for individuals, families and communities on prevention and mitigation of the spread of viruses, including COVID-19. These steps include many of those listed above for personal health, as well as others relevant for broader community efforts.

How should I clean and disinfect communal spaces?

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces (e.g., door knobs, tables, keyboards light switches). Use a disinfectant registered with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) or a 10% bleach/water solution to clean surfaces.

Please avoid putting disinfectant gels or liquids on electronics and other equipment, including elevator buttons, unless they have been indicated as safe to use on those devices. UVM Custodial Services have implemented extra measures to clean and disinfect surfaces in public areas that are touched frequently.


Who can get tested for COVID-19?

Healthcare providers will use their judgment to determine if your signs and symptoms are consistent with COVID-19 and whether you should be tested. Most people with confirmed COVID-19 have developed fever and/or symptoms of acute respiratory illness (e.g., cough, difficulty breathing). Priorities for testing may include:

  • Hospitalized patients who have signs and symptoms compatible with COVID-19.
  • Other symptomatic individuals, such as older adults and individuals with chronic medical conditions and/or an immunocompromised state that may put them at higher risk for poor outcomes (e.g., diabetes, heart disease, receiving immunosuppressive medications, chronic lung disease, chronic kidney disease).
  • Any persons, including healthcare personnel, who within 14 days of symptom onset had close contact with a suspected or laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 patient, or who have a history of travel from affected geographic areas within 14 days of their symptom onset.

If you are a student on campus, please call Student Health Services at 802-656-3350. If you are not on campus, please call a healthcare provider near you. Faculty and staff should contact their primary care provider.

What is the turnaround time for COVID-19 testing?

Results from the Vermont Department of Health Laboratory will be available in 1–3 days. Test results will be reported by the Health Department Laboratory to the hospital or clinical lab where the test was collected. Individuals should wait for their healthcare provider to notify them of their test results.

Does the UVM student health insurance cover testing?

Currently testing in Vermont for COVID-19 is done at no cost; it is only through the Vermont Department of Health (VDH) Lab and requires their approval.

  • Students who are in Vermont and need to have testing for COVID-19 can have this done at no charge through Vermont Department of Health.
  • Students who are out-of-state who need to have testing for COVID-19 and have the student health insurance plan (UVM SHIP), will be covered for any COVID-19 testing performed at an off-campus or out-of-area service.
  • The requirement for a referral from Student Health Services has been waived for student members who seek testing or treatment for the Coronavirus at any local medical facility. This includes emergency room, urgent care and office visits. There is no need for referral and there will not be any applicable out-of-pocket fees for testing. Don't forget to call medical facilities before going if you suspect you have the virus.

Are there resources for combating stigmatization, bias, and xenophobia related to the COVID-19?

Many of us are concerned about what the people in our communities may be experiencing, including possible stigmatization or discrimination based on racial bias or appearances. Please help others understand that the risk of COVID-19 is not at all connected with race, ethnicity or nationality.

Stigma doesn’t fight the illness and will hurt innocent people, but sharing accurate information during a time of heightened concern is one of the best things we can do to keep rumor and misinformation from spreading.

If you know of incidents of bias related to the COVID-19, please report the incident to through the Bias Response Program.

What is UVM Health Network doing about COVID-19?

All of the UVM Health Network has information about COVID-19 and protocols in place to assess the risk for someone presenting to an emergency department or clinic with this infection. People with cold- or flu-like symptoms are being asked to wear a mask and also about travel history in the prior 14 days. People who we feel they might have the virus are moved out of public spaces and into rooms where they can be taken care of safely.

How does UVM clean and disinfect?

The University’s custodial cleaning program is following CDC recommended guidelines for higher education institutions with no known cases of COVID-19, and uses an EPA-registered disinfectant to clean touchpoints, public and common area restrooms and kitchens daily.

UVM Facilities crews have also implemented extra measures to clean and disinfect surfaces in public areas that are touched frequently. This includes surfaces such as door handles, banisters, and elevator buttons. An increased cleaning of these “touch points” has been in place since October to reduce health risks during flu season. But we have stepped up these preventative measures to further mitigate risks of the novel coronavirus.

It is also recommended that all departments purchase single use disinfectant wipes for human touch points within their work spaces such as keyboards, public counters, credit card readers, phones, and shared surfaces and items. We will continue to monitor recommendations from the CDC for preventing the spread of the virus.

Hand sanitizer can help prevent the spread of the virus, though proper hand-washing technique is deemed to be more effective by the CDC.

The Importance of Social Distancing with UVM's Dr. Jan Carney

A Message for Parents and Families from UVM Pediatrician Dr. First

Stay Home to Protect Yourself and Community with UVM's Tim Lahey, MD