- add new stories to groups of which they are a member
- edit stories that they have created in these groups
- view stories in these groups
- share stories that they contribute with other groups
Group Administrators can:
- add new stories to groups of which they are a member or administrator
- share these stories with any group
- approve or decline any story assigned or shared with groups of which they are an administrator
- edit any story that is assigned to these groups
- add or remove contributors and administrators to these groups
- edit these groups' settings
Super Administrators can:
- add new groups, keywords or templates
- add or deactivate any user
- edit any story or group, as needed
Contributing a Story
- Log into the NewsTool using your UVM NetID and password. (Your NetID must be stored in the system as an active NewsTool user in order to login.)
- In the "Stories" tab click the green "Add a New Story" button (if you are assigned multiple groups, the default group for the story will always be your primary group), a number of tabs will now be visible on the left side of the screen.
- Required: Under the "Templates" tab, choose a template for the overall layout of your story and its included media elements.
- Required: Proceed to the "Metadata" to enter author data. Author data can be automatically entered by typing in the author's UVM NetID and clicking the lookup button, conversely you may manually enter the author's data (the system requires that a name and email address are entered).
- Optional: In the "Metadata" tab, you may also share the story with other groups (administrators for the story's primary group are the only users who can edit the story besides yourself) and set an optional "publish on" and/or "expiration date."
- Required: Proceed to the "Text" tab to enter the main content of your story. You must enter a headline for your story and body text. We recommend that you write your story in a word processor and paste the text directly into the tool. You can then use the embedded editor to edit or format your story's text. (You can access the HTML directly by selecting the "HTML" button in the toolbar.)
- Optional: In the "Text" tab you may also add a Subheadline, Feature Quote or Synopsis. The Subheadline and Feature quote will appear as specially formatted text in the published story. The Synopsis will appear as a "teaser" to your story in some web displays or in RSS feeds (if no synopsis is provided, the NewsTool will auto-generate one for you).
- Optional: In the "Related Links" tab you may add links to other websites or pages that relate to your story. This links will appear as a sidebar in your published story.
- Optional: Under the "Keywords" tab you may associate your story with any of UVM's predefined keywords. If your story's keywords match those of another story in your group, a related story link will appear in your published story.
- Optional: You may add images, video and/or audio to a story under the "Template Elements" tab. (To upload an element, click on "browse" and locate the file on your computer, then click the "upload" button on the tool. Large elements are resized accordingly.) For accessibility, be sure to add ALT or TITLE attributes. Video and audio files should be accompanied by written transcripts. You may also add captions to any element, these captions appear below the element in the publish story.
- Optional: Under the "Notifications" tab you may add (or remove) users who will be notified of the addition of the story.
- Required: After entering your story, be sure to click on the "Save Changes" button at the top of the page. This saves your story and notifies administrators that you have a submitted a story for approval for publication on the UVM website.
- You may now preview your story by selecting the preview button next to your story's headline in the story list.
Editing a Story
- Log into the NewsTool using your UVM NetID and password (you must be stored in the system as an active NewsTool user for this to work).
- In the "Stories" tab select a story to edit and click on the corresponding button. (You may also use "search stories" to find stories.) Contributors can only edit stories that they have added.
- After editing the desired fields click on the "Save Changes" button. Administrators for the group with which the story is associated will receive email notification that the story has been edited by you. (Saved edits to approved stories will appear on the website immediately.)
Approving a Story for Publication
- Once logged into the system, administrators can preview "pending" stories by clicking on the preview button next to the story's headline.
- Additionally, administrators for the story's "primary" group may also edit the story by clicking the edit button and editing the story as they see fit.
- Group administrators approve or decline a story for publication on their websites by clicking the approval button.