The virus that causes COVID-19 is highly contagious. It is possible to develop and contract COVID- 19, even when individuals follow all of the safety precautions recommended by the CDC, the State of Vermont, and the University. The University is following all coronavirus guidelines issued by the CDC and other experts to reduce the spread of infection. However, by engaging in on- or off-campus activities, students can never be completely shielded from all risk of exposure or illness caused by COVID-19 or other infections.
I promise to:
Care for my personal health:
- Complete all university-required safety training.
- Follow social distancing and face mask guidelines.
- Wash my hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer.
- Get vaccinated for the seasonal flu in the fall. (Please note: Flu shots are strongly encouraged for all students.)
Care for the health of all UVM community members:
- Follow physical distancing guidelines (6 feet of distance and limitations on numbers of individuals gathering in a common location) both on and off campus, not making assumptions about who may be more vulnerable to contracting this illness.
- Stay home and not enter campus facilities if I feel sick.
- Stay home if I have been exposed to someone who is sick or has tested positive for COVID-19.
- Wear an appropriate face mask and other protective gear when in public spaces on or off campus, including private spaces if guests or visitors are present, even if 6-foot distancing is possible.
- Keep my clothing, belongings, personal spaces and shared common spaces sanitized, and not share personal items with others, particularly items such as eating utensils and water bottles, which could spread the COVID-19 virus.
- Participate in required testing to preserve the health and wellbeing of the community.
- Follow all directions given by institutional officials and displayed on university signage.
- Individual activities and facilities may have more specific requirements based upon the unique risks presented.
- This virus does not discriminate and neither will I. No person or group of people is responsible for this virus and I will not blame the presence of COVID-19 on anyone in my community.
Care for the health of our surrounding Vermont community:
- Complete state-required quarantine and/or testing prior to arrival on campus, or if you have had to leave the state for non-essential purposes. Details for these requirements are outlined by the Vermont Department of Health at https://www.healthvermont.gov/response/coronavirus-covid-19/traveling-vermont.
- Monitor for the symptoms of COVID-19 and report to a medical professional if I experience fever of 100.4 F (38 C) or higher, dry cough, difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat or loss of taste or smell, or other symptoms related to COVID-19.
- Promptly report any known or potential exposures to COVID-19 to the Center for Health and Wellbeing and participate fully and honestly in contact tracing to determine whom I may have potentially exposed to COVID-19.
- Follow the instructions of medical professionals, which may include being tested for COVID-19 and self-quarantining while test results are pending, and/or being evaluated.
- Self-isolate in accordance with Vermont Department of Health guidelines if I test positive for COVID-19.
- Practice safe physical distancing when participating in the community outside of the campus.
- Pay attention to and observe city and state directives.
- Remember that not everyone is affected equally by COVID-19. By complying with COVID-19 health guidelines, I will help those who are most vulnerable to stay safe.
As more information is gathered and known, the University of Vermont and Vermont Department of Health may modify the required health and safety practices outlined above. I understand it is my responsibility to keep apprised of these changes to protect myself and the University community.
I have read, understand, and agree to comply with the “Green and Gold Promise.” I also acknowledge that this Promise is a condition of my ability to participate in the academic year 20- 21 and utilize university facilities. My failure to comply may lead to immediate removal from campus and/or the inability to use certain facilities. Violations of this pledge will be referred, reviewed and adjudicated in accordance with the procedure outlined in the Code of Student Conduct.
I understand that the only way to get safely through the COVID-19 crisis is if we Rally Together!