When working with a student who has experienced a bias incident or hate crime:
- When possible, see the student in private.
- Let the student know that you believe her/him.
- Be aware that the student may be experiencing a wide range of emotions including shame, anger, fear, and denial.
- Advise the student to contact UVM Police Services (802-656-3473) if they are concerned about personal safety, or if they wish to report a hate crime.
- Advise the student that they can seek counseling services through Counseling and Psychiatry Services (802-656-3340).
- Advise the student that they can report the incident to the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity office for investigation (802-656-3368)
- Try to explain or get caught up in the differences between “bias incident” and “hate crime.” The distinction is immaterial to the feelings a student may be experiencing about the incident.
- Minimize the situation.
- Express personal biases.