Blackboard Quizzes and Tests
Getting to Your Course
- Log into Blackboard using your UVM NetID and password.
- Once there, find your spring course space you want to work in – it will be listed under “My Courses”.
- Click on the course title to enter the course.
- Before working on your course, make sure the edit mode is on. Sometimes it randomly turns itself off, so if find you can’t do something, make sure you see that green light!
The Test/Quiz Cycle
The test creation cycle in Bb involves three general steps:
- Create the test/quiz (and add questions to it). The tool is called a TEST in Bb language. You can use it to create a low stakes quiz.
- Deploy it so students can take it
- Grade it (if it’s not self-grading)
Create a Test/Quiz
- Go to the Control Panel on the left side of the course page, under the Course Menu.
- Click on Course Tools/ Tests, Survey and Pools / Tests
- Use these directions to create a sample Test/Quiz.
Deploy your Test/Quiz
- Add a course menu item for quizzes OR put your quiz into a folder within “Course Materials.”
- Review the directions to modify your course menu if you want to add it there.
Grade the Test/Quiz
Finally, check the Grade Center for Test/Quiz results. Blackboard can automatically grade certain question types, such as multiple choice. Therefore, if the test or quiz contains only self-grading questions, Blackboard can deliver the grade immediately. However, other question types need to be manually graded, such as short answer and essay questions.
While you won’t be able to view grades for a quiz you submit as an instructor, below are the steps you can take to grade student quiz submissions:
- Go to Control Panel -> Grade Center -> Needs Grading
- If necessary, scroll to the right until you see the column for the quiz.
We suggest letting your students know when a Test or Quiz is available for them to take. Practice doing this by posting a welcome announcement to students.
TASK: Create an announcement in Bb. (Announcement instructions)
- Click on the Home link at the top of the Course Menu on the left side of the page.
- Click on the Create Announcement button near the top of the page.
- Create an announcement and let students know you will be using this course space.
Intermediate/Advanced Quiz Functions
Stop HERE if you are only interested in basic quiz functions!
Convert Word files into Test questions
Optional: In addition, there is an EXAM/TEST converter from Word to Bb.
You only need to explore this tool if you are interested in taking typed quizzes/tests that you have and making them available now in Blackboard.
This is put in place by New York Institute of Technology. Follow the directions on this page if you are interested in testing the tool.
We also have UVM documentation on these types of Word-to-Bb test-conversion tools.
Alternative Test Editor (Windows only)
If you have access to a computer running windows, you can use the Respondus Test Editor.
High Stakes testing
Optional: Do you want to use the Respondus LockDown Browser? You might try this for a higher stakes test. Here is more information to read on that tool.