Dr. Jason Garbarino joined the University of Vermont (UVM) Department of Nursing in 2013. He completed his doctoral degree from UVM with a focus on increasing utilization of the Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) role across the State of Vermont. Dr. Garbarino has maintained clinical practice at the University of Vermont Medical Center in the Resource Department since 2008. His primary teaching and research area of interest is promoting age-friendly care and fostering student interest in caring for older adults. He currently serves as Chair of the American Nurses Credentialing Center Gerontological Nursing Board Certification Exam Content Expert Panel and is a nursing faculty liaison for the Dartmouth Centers for Health and Aging.
Clinical Associate Professor and Vice Chair, Nursing Undergraduate Program
Research and/or Creative Works
Garbarino, J. (2020). Aging Is Very Personal: Interprofessional Gerontology Course Improving Student Attitudes Towards Older Adults. American Nurses Credentialing Center Content Expert Chair/Vice-Chair Leadership Summit.
January 25, 2020, Silver Spring, MD. (invited). Podium Presentation
Garbarino, J. (2019). Aging Is Very Personal: Interprofessional Gerontology Course Improving Student Attitudes Towards Older Adults. Gerontological Society of America: Annual Scientific Meeting. November 14, 2019, Austin, TX.
(peer-reviewed). Poster Presentation
Garbarino, J. (2019). Interprofessional Service Learning Gerontology:
Transforming Student Attitudes and Interest Working with Older Adults.
International Association for Research on Service-Learning & Community Engagement Annual Conference. October 24, 2019, Albequerque, NM.
(peer-reviewed). Poster Presentation
Garbarino, J. (2019). Innovations in Interprofessional Gerontology Education:
Utilization of Service-Learning to Engage Student Interest Working with Older Adults. Tri-State Learning Collaborative on Aging Annual Conference. October 21, 2019, Concord, NH. (peer-reviewed). Podium Presentation
Garbarino, J. (2019). Transforming Interprofessional Gerontology Education.
World Congress on Nursing and Healthcare. February 2019, Durban, South Africa (peer-reviewed). Podium Presentation
Garbarino, J. (2017). Aging Is Very Personal Service Learning Program.
Chinese Congress on Gerontology and Health Industry. September 19, 2017, Suzhou, China (peer-reviewed). Podium Presentation
Garbarino, J. (2016). Promoting Utilization of the Clinical Nursing Leader.
World Nursing and Healthcare Conference. August 2016, London, England (peer-reviewed). Poster Presentation
- Garbarino, J. & Lewis, L. (2020). The Impact of a Gerontology Nursing Course with a Service-Learning Component on Student Attitudes Towards Working with Older Adults: A mixed-methods study. Journal of Nursing Education in Practice.
Garbarino, J. & Monforte, K. (2019). Engaging Undergraduate Nursing Students in Healthcare Quality Education. Journal of Nursing Education. 58(5): 315-316
- Maltby, H. & Garbarino, J. (2019). Chapter 24: Service Learning in Bradshaw, M., & Lowenstein, A. Innovative Teaching Strategies in Nursing and Related Health Professions, 8th edition. Jones & Bartlett Learning, Burlington, MA.
Garbarino, J. (2017). Postcard Pick-me-up: The Power of Simple Acts of Kindness. Journal of Nursing Education in Practice. Jul, 25: 64-65.
Awards and Recognition
- Bargaining Unit Nursing Scholarship Award, Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, VT, 2010
- 2019-2022, ANCC Gerontological Nursing Board Certification Examination Content Expert Panel, Elected Chair 2019-Current
- University of Vermont Center on Aging Leadership Council, Member 2019-Current
- Kroepsch-Maurice Excellence in Teaching Award Selection Committee, Member 2018
- Community-University Partnerships & Service-Learning (CUPS)
- Outstanding New Service-Learning Faculty Award 2017, Office of Community Engaged Learning (CELO),Advisory Committee Member 2017
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Leadership for Academic Nursing Program (LANP), Appointed Fellow
Associations and Affiliations
- Gerontological Society of America
- Tri-State Learning Collaborative on Aging American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- Advanced Care Life Support (ACLS) Certification
- Clinical Nurse Leader
- National Firefighter I Certification
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Gerontology, service-learning pedagogy, Clinical Nurse Leader
- D.N.P., University of Vermont, 2016
- M.S., Nursing Education; Sacred Heart University, 2013
- B.S., Nursing; University of Vermont, 2008
- (802) 656-3053
- Undergradaute Course Instruction:
PRNU 121: SL: Gerontology
PRNU 134: Medical-Surgical Nursing
PRNU 114: Introduction to Clinical Practice, Lab Instructor
Undergraduate Clinical Instruction
PRNU 134, 234: Medical-Surgical Nursing I/II, University of Vermont Medical Center
- Graduate Course Instruction:
GRNS 324: Theoretical Foundation of Nursing Science GRNS 339: Clinical Nurse Leader Project/Seminar I GRNS 340: Clinical Nurse Leader Practicum I GRNS 341: Clinical Nurse Leader Project/Seminar II GRNS 342: Clinical Nurse Leader Practicum II GRNS 321: Professional Role Development