Kathleen Ross is the director of and a lecturer for the fully online SLPA and SLP Prerequisites programs at the University of Vermont. She manages a private practice mostly working within early intervention and early childhood programs providing services, including assessment, treatment and consultation. She is a member of the Board of Directors for the Brain Injury Association of Vermont. She was a member of a team collaborating to create the Vermont Early Learning Standards. She has been trained in the DIR Floortime Model, as an Inclusion Coach, and as an instructor for the Foundations for Early Learning (social, emotional and communication aspects - FEL and CSEFL)
Director of UVM's SLPA and CSD Prerequisites Programs; Lecturer
- Ross, K. D. (2018). Speech-Language Pathologists in Early Childhood Intervention: Working with Infants, Toddlers, Families and Other Care Providers. San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing Co.
- Charner, K., Murphy, M. and Ford, J. (editors). (2004-2006). Beltsville, MD: Gryphon House Inc. Activities published in The Giant Encyclopedia series.
- Ross, Kate (story adapter). and Solimene, L. (editor). (2005). Hi-lo adaptation of Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book. Oakdale, NY: Edcon Publishing Group.
- Ross, Kate. (2001). Help Yourself! Activities to Promote Safety and Self-Esteem. St. Paul, Minnesota: Redleaf Press.
- “Her Did It” within The Joy of Teaching. (2007). Upper Saddle, NJ: Allyn & Bacon.
- Parenting Our Young Ones. (March 2009) & The FIT Program: Our Youngest Citizens The Caledonia Record, St Johnsbury, VT. (December 2008).
- Words are Like Toys! “SCBWI: New England, (July & August 2006). Presentations: Autism, DIR and Floortime Strategies Preschool Paraprofessional Staff, Barton, VT (2014)
- The Journey Toward Language Early Childhood Program, E. Montpelier, VT (2012)
- Communication, Behaviors, and Vocabulary Development in those with Autism, Central Vermont Head Start Program, Barre, VT (2011)
- Play: The Work of Children – Why is dramatic play so important for later life skills? Central Vermont Child Care Providers, E. Montpelier, VT (2010) Early Communication Development, Chittenden County Child Care Resources, Burlington, VT (2009)
- Language & Literacy Development and the Importance of Vocabulary, Head Start programs throughout VT (2007 - 2008)
- When to be Alarmed about Language and Developing Literacy within Dramatic Play, Vermont Association for Education of Young Children, Stowe VT (2006)
- Exploring Language, an Overview Head Start, Barre, VT (2004)
- Help Yourself Activities for Self-Esteem and Safety Winter Mini Training Event at The Family Center of Washington County VT (2002)
- Help Yourself Activities for Self-Esteem and Safety Vermont Association for Education of Young Children, Killington, VT (2001) Communication and Behaviors workshop early childhood staff, Danville, VT (2001) Mother Goose Asks Why at Calais Elementary School, Calais, VT (1999)
Associations and Affiliations
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (Certificate of Clinical Competence)
- Vermont Speech-Language-Hearing Association Council for Exceptional Children, Division of Early Childhood
- National Association of the Education of Young Children
- Vermont Association of the Education of Young Children
- Zero to Three
- Board of Directors of Brain Injury Association of Vermont
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Language development, early intervention, child development, speech-language pathology assistants
- M.S., Speech-Language Pathology; University of Vermont
- B.S., Child and Family Community Services; Bowling Green State University
- Development of Spoken Language
- Working with Speech Disorders
- Working with Language Disorders
- Careers in Speech-Language Pathology