UVM Communication Sciences and Disorders undergraduates are invited by faculty to apply to the Communication Sciences and Disorders Master’s Early Admission Program in their junior year. Selected applicants do not need to take the Graduate Record Examination and may reserve their spot in the graduate program upon approval and submission of a deposit.
At UVM, you can start working toward admission to our CSD master's degree program as an undergraduate. The Communication Sciences and Disorders Master’s Early Admission Program can help save time and money on your path to an advanced degree.
Admission Requirements and Timeline
Requirements for Admission
- Third-year Communication Sciences and Disorders students with a grade point average in the top quartile of the junior class will be and invited by faculty to apply. This is a competitive program and cumulative GPAs are typically above 3.60 for the top quartile.
- GRE's are not required.
Early April: Invitation to apply delivered to qualified students
May 11: Applications due
Mid-May: Faculty interviews with selected applicants
Early June: Admissions decisions released
Oct 1: Graduate application due
Oct. 15: Acceptance deposit due
Application and Acceptance Requirements
The following materials are required to apply to the early admission program:
- Essay - answer the following prompts in one paragraph each:
- Why do you want to be an SLP?
- Describe the life experiences or qualities that will make you a strong SLP/graduate student.
- If applicable, discuss how the following personally impacted you, your decision to apply to graduate school in speech-language pathology, and/or your academic and professional aspirations: Experience as a non-native speaker of English; a student from a traditionally under represented background (e.g., racial, ethnic, gender, sexual orientation); as a first-generation college student; with economic challenges; and/or with disability or social challenges.
- Writing sample (from a CSD college course that includes feedback from professor)
- Nomination (from Communication Sciences and Disorders faculty member with a motion from a second faculty member for recommendation)
- Interview (with Communication Sciences and Disorders faculty)
- Academic Transcript
To Accept Early Admission
Once admitted into the program, the following are required:
Submit UVM Graduate College Application and $65 application fee by Oct. 1 (Upload a PDF or Microsoft Word document that reads "CSD early admit" to the personal statement section.You do not need to upload a resume, transcript, GREs, letters of recommendations or writing sample to the UVM Graduate College application.)
Email three (3) CSD faculty references to email@example.com by Oct. 1.
- Pay $500 non-refundable deposit by Oct. 15. Instructions for an online deposit can be found here