Dr. Kelsey Gleason is an environmental epidemiologist interested in the intersection of human health, the natural environment, and complex humanitarian crises. Her work focuses on reducing health disparities and building resilience for improved health outcomes in refugee communities, both locally and globally, by using data-driven approaches to identify and solve critical public health issues for the world's most vulnerable.
- Sanderson, David, Sonny Patel, Martin Loosemore, Anshu Sharma, Kelsey M. Gleason, Ronak Patel. “Corruption and disasters in the built environment: a literature review.” Disasters (2022)
- van den Broek-Altenburg, Eline M., Adam J. Atherly, Sean A. Diehl, Kelsey M. Gleason, Victoria C. Hart, Charles D. MacLean, Daniel A. Barkhuff, Mark A. Levine, and Jan K. Carney. "Jobs, housing, and mask wearing: cross-sectional study of risk factors for COVID-19." JMIR Public Health and Surveillance 7, no. 1 (2021): e24320
- Gleason, Kelsey M., Linda Valeri, Anuraj H. Shankar, John F. Obrycki, Md Omar Sharif Ibne Hasan, Golam Mostofa, Quazi Quamruzzaman et al. "Stunting and lead: using causal mediation analysis to better understand how environmental lead exposure affects cognitive outcomes in children." Journal of Neurodevelopmental Disorders 12, no. 1 (2020): 1-10.
- Atherly, Adam, Eline Van Den Broek-Altenburg, Victoria Hart, Kelsey M. Gleason, and Jan Carney. "Consumer reported care deferrals due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the role and potential of telemedicine: Cross-sectional analysis." JMIR Public Health and Surveillance 6, no. 3 (2020): e21607.
- Bhatt, Mihir, Ronak B. Patel, Kelsey M. Gleason, and Mehul Pandya. "Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation in South Asia." In Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Natural Hazard Science. 2020.
- Signes-Pastor, Antonio J., Brett T. Doherty, Megan E. Romano, Kelsey M. Gleason, Jiang Gui, Emily Baker, and Margaret R. Karagas. "Prenatal exposure to metal mixture and sex-specific birth outcomes in the New Hampshire Birth Cohort Study." Environmental epidemiology (Philadelphia, Pa.) 3, no. 5 (2019). Bhatt, Mihir, Kelsey M. Gleason, and Ronak B. Patel. "Natural Hazards Governance in South Asia." Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Natural Hazard Science. (2019).
- Patel, Ronak B., and Kelsey M. Gleason. "The association between social cohesion and community resilience in two urban slums of Port au Prince, Haiti." International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 27 (2018): 161-167.
- Gleason, Kelsey M., Linda Valeri, A. H. Shankar, Md Omar Sharif Ibne Hasan, Quazi Quamruzzaman, Ema G. Rodrigues, David C. Christiani, Robert O. Wright, David C. Bellinger, and Maitreyi Mazumdar. "Stunting is associated with blood lead concentration among Bangladeshi children aged 2-3 years." Environmental Health 15, no. 1 (2016): 1-9.
- Gleason, Kelsey M., James P. Shine, Nadia Shobnam, Lisa B. Rokoff, Hafiza Sultana Suchanda, Md Omar Sharif Ibne Hasan, Golam Mostofa et al. "Contaminated turmeric is a potential source of lead exposure for children in rural Bangladesh." Journal of Environmental and Public Health 2014 (2014).
Associations and Affiliations
Visiting Scientist, Harvard Humanitarian Initiative Affiliate
Gund Institute for Environment
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Global health, humanitarian crises, climate change, forced and climate-related displacement, refugee studies
- Sc.D., Environmental Epidemiology; Harvard University, TH Chan School of Public Health
- M.S., Environmental Health; Harvard University, TH Chan School of Public Health
- B.S., Science of Natural and Environmental Systems; Cornell University
302 H Rowell Building