Dr. Tran Smith is a qualitative health services researcher whose work examines the intersection of race and ethnicity, health/health policy, and place. Her research aims to understand the socio-spatial drivers of racial and ethnic health disparities and inequities, and to increase the capacity of communities, policy makers, public health and other healthcare professionals to address those disparities more effectively.
- Choy-Brown, M., Tiderington, E., Smith, B. T., Padgett, D. K., & Stefancic, A. (2021). Strategies for sustaining fidelity: A multi-state qualitative analysis in Housing First programs. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 48(1), 36-45.
- Grogan, C. M., Bersamira, C. S., Singer, P. M., Smith, B. T., Pollack, H. A., Andrews, C. M., & Abraham, A. J. (2020). Are policy strategies for addressing the opioid epidemic partisan? A view from the states. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, 45(2), 277-309.
- Tiderington, E., Henwood, B. F., Padgett, D. K., & Tran Smith, B. (2020). Employment experiences of formerly homeless adults with serious mental illness in Housing First versus treatment first supportive housing programs. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, 43(3), 253–260.
- Abraham, A., Smith, B.T., Andrews, C., Bersamira, C., Grogan, C.M., & Pollack, H. (2019). Changes in state technical assistance priorities and Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment block grant funds. American Journal of Public Health, 109(6), 885-891.
- Jarpe, M., Mosley, J., & Smith, B.T. (2019). Understanding the collaborative planning process in homeless services: Networking, advocacy, and local government support may reduce service gaps. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice, 25(3), 262-269.
- Andrews, C., Grogan, C.M., Tran Smith, B., Abraham, A., Westlake, M., Pollack, H., & Friedmann, P. (2018). Medicaid benefits for addiction treatment expand after implementation of the Affordable Care Act. Health Affairs, 37(8), 1216-1222.
- Tran Smith, B., Seaton, K., Andrews, C., Grogan, C.M., Abraham, A., Pollack, H., ... & Humphreys, K. (2017). Benefit requirements for substance use disorder treatment in state health insurance exchanges. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 44(4), 426-430.
- Huz, S., Thorning, H., White, C.N., Fang, L., Tran Smith, B., Radigan, M., & Dixon, L. B. (2017). Time in assertive community treatment: A statewide quality improvement initiative to reduce length of stay. Psychiatric Services, 68(6), 539-541.
- Grogan, C.M., Andrews, C., Abraham, A., Humphreys, K., Pollack, H., Tran Smith, B., & Friedman, P.D. (2016). Survey highlights differences in Medicaid coverage for substance use treatment and opioid use disorder medications. Health Affairs, 35(12), 2289-2296.
- Choy-Brown, M., Padgett, D.K., Tran Smith, B., & Tiderington, E. (2016). Sorting it out: Eliciting consumer priorities for recovery in supportive housing. American Journal of Psychiatric Rehabilitation, 19(3), 223-234.
- Padgett, D.K., Tiderington, E., Smith, B.T., Derejko, K., & Henwood, B.F. (2016). Complex recovery: Understanding the lives of formerly homeless adults with complex needs. Journal of Social Distress and the Homeless, 25(2), 60-70.
- Padgett, D.K., Tran Smith, B., Choy-Brown, M., Tiderington, E. & Mercado, M. (2016). Trajectories of recovery among formerly homeless adults with serious mental illness. Psychiatric Services, 67(6), 610-614.
- Tran Smith, B., Choy-Brown, M., Padgett, D.K., & Henwood, B.F. (2015). Rebuilding lives and identifies: The role of place in recovery among persons with complex needs. Health & Place, 33, 109-117.
- Padgett, D.K., Tran Smith, B., Derejko, K., Henwood, B.F., & Tiderington, E. (2013). A picture is worth…? Photo elicitation interviewing with formerly homeless adults. Qualitative Health Research, 23(11), 1435-1444.
- Padgett, D.K., Smith, B.T., Henwood, B.F., & Tiderington, E. (2012). Life course adversity in the lives of Formerly homeless persons with serious mental illness: Context and meaning. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 82(3), 421-430.
- Henwood, B.F., Padgett, D.K., Smith, B.T., & Tiderington, E. (2012). Substance abuse recovery after experiencing homelessness and mental illness: Case studies of change over time. Journal of Dual Diagnosis, 8(3), 238-246.
- Mercado, M., Tran Smith, B., Cleek, A., Campanelli, P., Freidmutter, C., Pardo, G., & McKay, M. (2015). Lessons learned from HIV Prevention and Care: Implications for the development of Health Homes. Commissioned report for New York State Health Foundation. McSilver Institute for Poverty Policy and Research.
- Tran Smith, B., Grogan, C.M., Andrews, C.M., Abraham, A.J., Westlake, M.A., & Harris, S.J. (2021) Medicaid’s consumer paradox: The case of substance use disorder. In D. Lanford (Ed.) Current Issues in Medicaid: Enrollment, Eligibility, and Politics. (Ch. 10). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
- Stefanizzi, A., & Tran Smith, B. (2016). Photography, participation and empowerment. Photo-elicitation with vulnerable populations as a collaborative practice. In V. Porcellana & S. Stefani (Eds.) Essi partecipativi edetnografia collaborative nelle alpi e altrove. (pp.195-214). Alessandria, Italy: Edizioni dell'Orso.
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Health services research, health and place, racial and ethnic health disparities, health policy, homelessness
- Ph.D.; University of Chicago
- M.S.W.; New York University
- M.A.; New York University
- B.S.; Virginia Tech