Human Development and Family Studies
The Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS) program at UVM will help prepare you for a broad range of professional careers that improve the lives of people across the entire lifespan. You will explore the ways people grow and develop, form relationships and families, and cope with the common events of life.
Individually Designed Program
The IDP offers a unique opportunity for the very capable, imaginative student to create his/her own educational program sequence and to accept the risks and challenges inherent in self-prescribed learning.
As a professional social worker, you are qualified to work in many areas of the health, education, justice, or social service systems in the public or private sector. You could work with and on behalf of diverse groups, from infants to elders, rural families to urban families, homeless women to runaway youth. Your job duties often involve any of a wide range of activities, from prevention, crisis intervention, conflict resolution and counseling, to community organizing and organizational management.
Our nationally accredited Teacher Education programs include Art, Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Special Education, Elementary, Middle Level, Music, Physical Education and Secondary Education. We also offer dual certification in Special Education. Students are required to meet specific criteria for admittance into the professional portion of the program, teaching internship placement, and recommendation for licensure.
- Art Ed: B.S. in Art Education (Teaching Endorsement: Art Education PreK-12)
- Coaching: minor
- Early Childhood Ed: B.S. in Education (Teaching Endorsement: Early Childhood Education, Birth-Grade 3)
- Early Childhood Special Ed: B.S. in Education (Teaching Endorsements:
Early Childhood Education, Birth-Grade 3; Early Childhood Special Education, Birth-Age 6)
- Elementary Ed: B.S. in Education (Teaching Endorsement: Elementary Education K-6)
- Middle Level Ed: B.S. in Education (Teaching Endorsement: Middle Grades Education 5-9)
- Music Ed: B.S. in Music Education (Teaching Endorsement: Music Education PreK-12)
- Phys Ed: B.S. in Education (Teaching Endorsement: Physical Education PreK-12)
- Secondary Ed: B.S. in Education (Teaching Endorsement: Secondary Education 7-12)
- Special Education: minor and dual certification/licensure
More information about all Teacher Education Programs: