Business Service Center Walk-In Hours: Monday - Friday, 1:00 - 4:00 pm, 426A Waterman
Find information, resources, and guidance regarding CESS Communications including logos, templates, news, stories, website, social media, photography, promotional materials, and more.
Computer Orders and Technology Assistance
Please see Technology Services for information on technical assistance, including:
- Technology purchases for faculty/staff
- CESS IT support, UVM IT support, Self-help
- Laptop recommendations for students
- CESS/University owned iPads
UVM Technology and Teaching Resources
- Blackboard Info and Support
- Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL)
- UVM Tech Team
- UVM IT Help
- UVM Bookstore Computer Depot
- Software and Utilities
- Registrar - Faculty Information
- Registrar/my UVM – faculty dashboard, instructional videos:
Log into "myUVM" and go to the "Teaching" tab. On the right side there is a box that says "Video Guides," and directly under that is "Faculty Dashboard."
Course and Workload Policies
Employment in CESS
On-Boarding: New Employee Checklists
Part-Time Lecturer Forms
- Part-Time Lecturer Intent “Short Form” (for Existing Courses) (.DOCX)
- Request Form for: ALL Part-Time Faculty Hires, ALL Summer Courses, NEW Courses (.DOCX)
- UVM Part-Time Teaching Availability (PDF)
Students and Temporary Hourly Workers
If you would like to hire a graduate student, undergraduate student or temporary hourly worker, please have a discussion with your business manager prior to engaging them for work.
Independent Contractors, Guest Speakers, Transcriptions and Other Outside Professionals
If you would like to hire an outside professional, please have a discussion with your business manager prior to engaging them for work.
Expense Reimbursement & Travel
In order to obtain and use Professional Development (PD) funding, please read the sections, below.
- CESS requires that your PD funding be tracked. See "Track PD Funding."
- For airfare and conference registration, you may use a UVM PurCard. See "Use PD Funding."
- For all international travel (excluding Canada), a travel authorization is needed. See "International Travel Instructions."
Apply for PD Funding
To apply for Professional Development (PD) funding, you must complete both the CESS application and the CESS proposed budget form.
Submit these completed forms to your business manager:
Track PD Funding
CESS requires that you track the PD funding you spend by completing the form, below.
Use this form:
- while traveling to document your expenses and keep track of receipts so that you are prepared for reimbursement
- to track spending for your trip from multiple payment sources (e.g., UVM PurCard, out-of-pocket expenditures)
For all other purchases via PeopleSoft Purchase Orders (e.g., computers, peripherals, purchases requiring check payment), please speak to your business manager.
Using PD (Professional Development) Funding
Airfare, Conference Registration, and Other Supplies
Use a University purchasing card — UVM PurCard — via your staff support person for:
- Airfare for a pre-approved trip or conference (use Accent Travel to make flight arrangements)*
- Conference registration fees for a pre-approved trip*
- Supplies: books, computer peripherals and other supplies
*If airfare or conference registration is paid for out-of-pocket, you may not seek reimbursement until after your approved trip or conference. See “Get Reimbursed for Your Out-of-Pocket Expenses,” below.
Lodging and Incidentals
All lodging and incidentals must be paid for by the traveler on-site. For all UVM travel policies, including the per day maximum for meals and mileage, see UVM Travel & Expense Reimbursement.
After your approved trip or conference, you will complete the steps for reimbursement. See the next section, “Get Reimbursed for Your Out-of-Pocket Expenses,” for instructions.
Get Reimbursed for Out-of-Pocket Expenses
To get reimbursement following an approved trip or conference, please submit the following within 60 days of travel:
- Complete CESS Expenses Reimbursement (.XLSX).
- *** DO NOT enter directly into PeopleSoft Financials at this point ***
- CESS requires itemized receipts for all reimbursement requests, given various funding sources such as federal grants.
- Carefully tape all detailed, itemized receipts to one side of an 8 1/2 x 11 inch piece of paper. Tape the receipts flat. Do not use staples.
- Travel meals require an overnight stay.
- All business meals must include a clear business purpose as well as the full names and affiliations of all attendees.
- Alcohol is not reimbursable and all tax and associated gratuity must be deducted as well.
- Attach the following to completed CESS Expenses Reimbursement form:
- paper with receipts taped to it (see #3, above)
- itinerary of conference, brochure or schedule at a glance
- Sign CESS Expenses Reimbursement form (must be signed and dated by traveler).
- Submit CESS Expenses Reimbursement form to your business manager. (Your business manager will approve the expenses and update the chartstring or budget to be charged.) You may scan this packet or place in Campus Mail.
- See instructions for Direct Deposit for Travel and Expense Reimbursement
International Travel Instructions
For all international travel (excluding Canada), a travel authorization is needed. Please submit a completed Out-of-Country Notification to your business manager no later than 10 days before travel.
- Out-of-Country Notification (.XLSX)
If international travel is not already a part of your departmental PD request or a Travel Course, please provide your business manager with the following information:
- dates of travel
- trip destination
- business purpose
- contact information
View and download the CESS Faculty Development Series for Fall 2019 (PDF).
Faculty Resources: Policies and Forms (NEW)
External Grant Proposals
Please read the document below, which is an outline of the steps required to submit an external grant proposal.
- Sponsored Project Administration (SPA): UVM award administration and compliance office
- Grant Proposal Manager Services at the Office of Vice President for Research (OVPR): assistance with large, "center-level" grant proposals
Internal CESS Funding Opportunities
RPT / Sabbatical / Retirement / Leave of Absence
Come by during our walk-in hours — Monday - Friday, 1:00 - 4:00 pm, 426A Waterman — or contact one of us for assistance.
Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration
Senior Staff Advisor & Human Resources
Financial and Grant Administrator, DOE & DLDS Business Manager
Other Business Managers
Kate Ball Clem