We prioritize teaching, research, and service through a student-centered, community-engaged and collaboratively designed approach, leveraging the interconnected nature of the schools, families, and communities we serve.
"The community, the opportunities, the faculty and staff, and everything in between truly makes UVM an extraordinary place to get an education.” -Marshall Murphy '20
Recognized as a Top National University, Top Public School, and Best Value School by U.S. News and World Reports
Undergraduate Programs (Majors, Minors & Certificates)
The undergraduate programs listed below are majors unless otherwise noted.
- American Sign Language (minor)
- Art Education (B.S.AE.)
- Coaching (minor)
- Computer Science Education (minor)
- Early Childhood Education (B.S.Ed.)
- Early Childhood Special Education (B.S.Ed.)
- Education for Cultural and Linguistic Diversity (minor or dual certification)
- Elementary Education (B.S.Ed.)
- Gerontology (minor)
- Individually Designed Major (B.S.Ed.)
- Human Development and Family Science (B.S. or minor)
- Middle Level Education (B.S.Ed.)
- Music Education (B.S.MS.)
- Physical Education (B.S.Ed.)
- Place-Based Education Certificate
- Secondary Education (B.S.Ed.)
- Social Work (BSW)
- Special Education (minor, dual certification, and AMP)
- Sports Management (minor)
Accelerated Master's Pathways (AMPs)
At UVM, you can start working toward a master's degree as an undergraduate. Our Accelerated Master's Pathways (AMPs) help you save time and money on your way to an advanced degree.
- Counseling (M.S.)
- Curriculum and Instruction (M.Ed.)
- Disability Studies Certificate of Graduate Study
- Early Childhood Special Education (M.Ed.)
- Education for Sustainability Certificates of Graduate Study
- Educational Leadership & Policy Studies (M.Ed.)
- Educational Leadership and Policy Studies (Ed.D.)
- Educational Leadership and Policy Studies (Ph.D.)
- Educational Technology Specialist
- Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration (M.Ed.)
- Interdisciplinary Studies (M.Ed.)
- Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.)
- Resilency-Based Approaches Certificate of Graduate Study - Two Pathways: Trauma-responsive and Restorative Practices (TRP) or Family-School-Community Collaboration
- School Library Media Specialist
- Social Work (M.S.W)
- Special Education (M.Ed.)
- Special Education Licensure Course Sequence
CESS Academic Departments
- Department of Education
- Department of Counseling, Human Development and Family Science
- Department of Social Work
Student Services (Undergraduate Programs)
Please reach out to our Office of Student Services with any questions you have.
Learn by Doing
- Gain extensive hands-on practice in the field with our community partners in a variety of diverse settings.
- Get involved with exciting research projects working with faculty, students, and community partners.
- Engage with other cultures through study abroad experiences around the world including England, Finland, France, Hawai'i, New Zealand, Portugal (the Azores) and more.
- Enjoy our vibrant, multicultural community located in a beautiful setting. Burlington is America's #1 College Town.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Visit our CESS Diversity, Equity and Inclusion webpage.
The Value of a UVM Education
Explore UVM costs, financial Aid, and scholarships and find out why UVM is a rewarding investment in your future.
CESS students rate our advising as some of the best in the University! Explore our advising resources and frequently asked questions.
Teacher Education majors review licensure information frequently as they progress toward the recommendation for licensure.