Why is our program right for you?
We believe learning happens best when it's experiential. That is why our program places you in a middle school working with kids from the beginning. Learn about theory, research, and strategy on campus one day, then try out what you've learned at the school the next day.
We also offer two different pathways to attain your graduate degree.
Our Teaching Approach
Our program is built around several core themes that are central to our curriculum:
- Middle level best practices that address the nature and needs of young adolescents
- Interdisciplinary teaching approaches that promote student voice in their learning
- Teaching approaches that emphasize real-world learning such as place-based, problem-based, and project-based learning
- Teaching approaches that engage young adolescents in democratic citizenship such as social justice education and sustainability education
Our Unique Vermont Context
Due to our unique Vermont context, we prepare our students for teaching in personalized, proficiency-based learning environments. With this in mind, students in our program have multiple opportunities to experience proficiency-based learning and personalized learning approaches that emphasize student voice and individual growth.
We offer a limited number of merit-based scholarships each year. Since these are awarded via rolling admissions, we recommend applying early if you hope to be considered for a scholarship. For additional information regarding how to fund your graduate degree, see UVM Financial Services.
Fully-funded Professional Development Opportunities
All middle level graduate students are eligible for funded attendance — including registration, airfare, and housing — to the following annual professional conferences:
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE) national conference
- New England League of Middle Schools (NELMS) regional conference
This opportunity is subject to the availability of funds from a generous donor.
High Job Placement Rate
We are proud of our job placement rate over the past 8 years. We attribute this to both the high quality of our program and the high quality of candidates whom we are fortunate to accept.
Multiple Licensure Options
One thing that contributes to that high job placement rate is our multiple endorsement options. As part of the application process, we determine which content areas (Math, Science, Social Studies, English) you would eligible to teach. We also coach you to add one or two additional areas if you're close to having the prerequisites fulfilled. That way, you exit our program highly marketable and ready to be hired in more than one content area.